1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Injury Updates

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Jujubean, Dec 4, 2020.

1. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I'm surprised tegray scales wasn't brought up off the ps. He's been around awhile. He should know the defense. He was pretty good at Indiana. May do in a pinch and a pinch we are in right now.:cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    I'm surprised scales hasn't been brought up yet. He should know the defense. Especially if UG3 is ailing. Not ideal but STs and a backup.:cool:

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    UG3 is on IR so Avery Williamson is their only true ILB

it’ll probably be a lot of nickel stuff with Marcus Allen and Sean Davis getting more snaps

Buffalo hardly run anyway so maybe they can get away with it. My biggest worry is Haden being out.

4. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    Thank you for that link. That appears to be at odds with the narrative that Highsmith was a passenger v Washington. Hopefully he can grow in to the role, he doesn’t need to make splash plays and it is completely unfair to expect that, what they need is for him to be solid.

Monday was his first start in the NFL so it’s far too early to be making any sort of assessment. What a great opportunity for the kid, albeit it came about in a very unfortunate set of circumstances for the team.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011

UG3 was activated earlier this week

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Oh boy, really thin at ILB.

7. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Nobody wrote or implied that they would fold without him. Please don’t resort to straw man arguments like that. They are dishonest at best. There is a lot of room between what they would be with Dupree and total collapse. Against Washington, they were in between those extremes. It is inarguable that they missed Dupree. The only question is if Highsmith can improve enough to close the gap.

8. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    Good to know, thought he was done for the season.

I’d still expect to see more of Allen / Davis on defence, with UG3 playing special teams

9. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Gilbert is still on injured reserve. He returned to practice this week, but he has not been activated. They could still bring him back Sunday night, but that decision probably won't be made until Saturday or Sunday. I doubt he is going to be ready to start even if he can play.

https://www.steelers.com/team/players-roster/

10. Chinchilla

Chinchilla Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2019
    This is why I am nothing more then a simple fan. lol

When I first studied Bud in Kentucky...I saw this raw freak like the DE Kearse? that played for the Titans in the late 90s early 2000s.

Then I dont know what it was but the game was like too fast for him at pro level.

Then the last two year he is everything I thought he would be.

My point is Highsmiths maturation is way ahead of the learning curve in my humble opinion but the sample size is small.

Even Woodley would over committ on end arounds and not hold the edge.

Im giddy how he did regardless of box score production.

Look at Silverbacks struggles coming out of a small school and being released over and over between the Ravens and Steelers.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I thought that Highsmith had a solid first start. He never looked like a liability, was solid in run defense, and did generate some pressure. Was he a star? No. Did he play better than what I’d expect from a rookie 3rd rounder in his first time starting? Yes.

I think our defense can remain very solid with him in place of Bud. More solid than if a guy like Layne, or Carlos Davis, or Dangerfield were needed for significant defensive snaps.

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    The last post wasn't an argument strawman. I'll take my lashing & look forward to your opinions on Steelers football. Board is blessed with your presence. :thumbs_up:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  13. CanadianSteel

CanadianSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Let's also keep in mind Highsmith has a pick and a sack, in a supporting roll, so he's had some splash. And by all accounts, he seems to have a really good head for the game, which puts him ahead of a lot of rookies thrust into a starting spot.

14. uncblue012

uncblue012 Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2017
    Pouncey activated from COVID list! So we do get Conner and Maurkice back, which is huge

• Like Like x 1
  15. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    Any word on claypool?:cool:

16. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    It’s not bashing Highsmith to point out the disparity between him and Bud. I take some issue with those stats being considered splash plays but whatever.

I started a Highsmith thread because I like his potential so I’m certainly not hating on the kid.

17. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I understand our wonder twin powers have been activated

18. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    To be clear, I really like Highsmith. I think he will be solid, and I'm hopeful that he can step in as the starter next season. I simply reject the idea that the loss of Dupree doesn't have a negative impact on this defense. It clearly does.

19. CanadianSteel

CanadianSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    [​IMG]
    Glad to see Claypool back, but Haden out is obviously not good.

• Informative Informative x 2
  20. uncblue012

uncblue012 Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2017
    Given the rash of injuries and the three games in 12-days situation, this isn't ideal but it could be worse. Hopefully, we get out of the Sunday night game injury-free and Haden and Spillane are good to go next week.

21. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Due to Covid rules, do Steelers have to keep the LB from Colts on roster for 3 weeks?
    If so, that's probably when Spillane will be back, then cut the new guy.
    Just a guess.

22. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Marsh is an OLB to serve as a backup to Highsmith and Watt. My recollection is that he's only played the edge (3-4 OLB/4-3 DE) in his career, but I could be wrong.

23. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    Spillane gone to IR so his regular season is probably over

24. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    3 weeks I believe

25. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Correct. We really don't know much about the extent of the injury, but he would at least be eligible to return for Week 17 against the Browns.

The team did activate Ulysees Gilbert from IR when they put Spillane on it. I doubt he is ready to start over Allen this week, but he could help.

• Agree Agree x 1