1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

In case you didn't notice, Bud is on pace...

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Oct 1, 2018.

1. saturdaysarebetter

saturdaysarebetter Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2018
    And as he was celebrating his sack 10 yards behind the line of scrimmage, the Ravens were almost ready to run a play. They should have hurried and drew a penalty on him for being offsides. Do your job, act like you've done it before.

2. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    He could get 200 sacks and it wouldn't be good enough for some people...cmon Glenn.
    Two simple questions...knowing what we know now about Dupree are you taking him as your number 1 pick? What you have seen during his time here and so far this year are you giving him another contract?
    I thought so...let's not make it like he hasn't disappointed and he doesn't deserve criticism.
    He's making millions of dollars to underperform,he can handle it....

• Like Like x 1
  3. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Watt gets mauled, Bud gets pushed around by anyone and everyone. Maybe i'm just not watching the few plays that he does make instead I focus on all the plays he gets pushed out of with ease. Guess I need to get those Black & Gold glasses on again...

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Sure he’s been a disappointment regardless of what round he was taken in.

He’s playing better this season.
    Every sack he’s had this year has been picked apart by someone. Will he ever live up to his first round draft position? Who knows?
    Didn’t they exercise the 5th year option on him?

5. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    The Steelers defense is 'on pace' to be the worst since the leather helmet era.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  6. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    it still is, but......."this is the year" :lolol:

7. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Actually I think our best player on defense the last two games has been Bostic.

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Put me in the “dumping on Bud” camp. You want your first round edge guy to win 1 on 1 matchups. You want him to - at least some times - dictate protections by forcing the offense to chip him with a back or TE, or roll the o line protection his way. You want him to set the edge in run defense. Bud rarely does any of this. What actually happens is that Cam, and to a lesser degree Tuitt, get the focus of pass protection and allow Bud to have 1 on 1 matchups.

Is he better this year? Yes. Does he give us what we need? Barely.

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Is that like being the tallest guy at a midget convention?

• Like Like x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  10. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    I've actually been in the support Bud category, BUT this dude needs to take some self defense classes or something so he can learn how to use his hands to get off of blocks. Once he's locked in he's doomed.

Also they need a hip turn exercise that gets him to focus on twisting his hips toward the QB instead of them using his speed against him as the QB steps up in the pocket and he flys on by with a tackle pushing him out of the play.

He needs to learn a spin move or something. He has quickness off the line and good top end speed. Everything else in his pass rush needs work, but at this point I don't think it's coming.

He's not the dynamic pass rusher this team needs. He's very average overall. I'd say draft another OLB next year high, but this team has too many needs now. We may have no choice but to honor the 5th year option. After that, I'd let him go unless he signed for a whole lot less.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    During the off season last year he was working with a boxing trainer to work on hand speed. This year he was at that weekend informal clinic Von Miller did. Yet I don't think he ever put it all together. Tunch and Wolfe talked all last preseason about him working on new moves like a thrust and spin but he fell back time and time again on the bullrush.

12. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    I don't know the financial breakdown of the 5th year option (vs.cap, guaranteed $, ect), but his base salary next season is $9,232,000. I don't see that happening.
    Bud does have youth on his side, he's only 25 y.o.
    Here's his contract details (according to spotrac.com)
    https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/pittsburgh-steelers/bud-dupree-16746/

13. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    It goes without saying I'm the biggest Bud basher there is. To be somewhat fair it does seem he has been trying to put in the work and learn. Between Chuck Smith and what you have mentioned I guess he is trying. At the same time I wonder if the way he is being taught here is dictating his approach. I just can't see a guy with all that athleticism not being more of a factor. It's not really that difficult to put a inside move on a OL,yet you never really see him even try it. I wonder if it is drilled into our OLBs to only attack the outside shoulder of the OL because of the fear of losing contain and setting the edge. I honestly think that maybe some of his natural ability and athleticism is being drilled out of him because of the way they want things done. You can probably say the same about quite a few of our guys on D....

Understanding that he will probably never live up to his draft status the biggest problem I have with him is he doesn't play hard all the time. He is afraid to get dirty and mix it up and throw his body around....all the things I expect from a true Steeler OLB. He will never be Lloyd,Greene or Harrison in that regard

• Like Like x 1
  14. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    well there is some context to that.

Let's say he gets 20 unblocked/gifted sacks, but they were not game changing. so 2nd down he gets the sack, 3rd down he gets blown up by a RB and gives up the 1st. then the rest of the game he is getting pushed around and falling all over aka having the Jarvis blues.

like some said stats aren't the be all. I know you won't see this so basically I'm talking to myself.

Look Bigbenhotness, Bud is bad, not Jarvis bad but he is bad. Still not solely to blame on this defense because he is at least doing "something".

• Like Like x 1
  15. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    I agree, this whole defense is bad so everyone gets singled out. Even TJ Watt is not doing so great.

I blame butler LOL

• Like Like x 1
  16. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    I've softened my heart on Bud. I'm willing to give the dude a chance. He's playing with more passion and aggression than most of the defenders, IMO.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. GoalLine

GoalLine

Oct 16, 2011
    areyouok.gif

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  18. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    I realized I quoted glenn but since he wont see my post I'm just talking to myself

• Like Like x 1
  19. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    Yeah 9 mill is pretty steep for his production. He doesn't warrant that.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    I'm sticking with the 'tough love' approach.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    I never questioned Bud's work ethic, just his results. He needs to find his mean streak (if he has one).

22. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    His work ethic....no. His work effort....I do. To me he's not a football player. He's a athlete trying to play football and minimizing his risk at the same time.

23. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    I saw this video over the summer and I thought it spoke volumes that any current player was willing to check their ego and try to learn from another current player (outside their organization) how to get better.

As far as minimizing risk, I see exactly what you're talking about when I isolate on Bud during games, but I never thought of it as a conscious effort (or lack of effort) by him. It looks more like lack of instinct to me.

• Like Like x 1
  24. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Yeah someone else had mentioned that Dupree was at that. Ok good you're supposed to be trying to get better every year. He went ,ok props for that. I definitely don't blame his lack of hustle on lack of instincts . You should know how to run to the football and stick your nose in the fan. Watch for the next time he hustles down the line to make a tackle from the backside....you might be watching a while.

25. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Maybe instinct is the wrong term. He 'always' seems to be bringing up the rear on a rundown, or near the pile but not in it. I don't expect him to do something stupid in that situation and draw a flag (although he did headbutt Alex Smith after the play was over last season, drawing a flag) but he needs to work on his production on those plays.