1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Immediate Impact/Success from Rookies

Discussion in 'General NFL Talk' started by steelersfan35, Apr 18, 2017.

1. steelersfan35

steelersfan35 Well-Known Member

Oct 28, 2016
    When you get drafted number 1 overall or in the early rounds, you're expected to make an immediate impact. While this is easy for most players, some players just aren't cut out for the NFL. Some players play well in college, but once they get drafted, they either can't handle the NFL's responsibilities (Manziel) or they bust out (Leaf).

Take Jared Goff for example, he didn't play right away. The coaches thought that he wasn't ready to start the season. Even though he went 0-7 as a starter, we shouldn't label him as a bust just after his first year in the NFL. Also, when you get picked early in the first round, you then have to deal with a struggling team that's trying to get better as the years go on.

Overall, people who expect immediate success from a rookie should understand the pressure that they're dealing with. When a team drafts someone, they have to make an adjustment from college to the NFL. The change can be either quick or over some time, but once they get used to the NFL, then they will become an important difference maker for the team.

2. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Every time I state this somewhere not named TheSteelersfans on another site or forum about opposing teams I get skewered for it. :lolol:

The expectation is that the No. 1 pick provides immediate dividends. The reality is that not all picks are created equal. Some picks are truly once in a generation talents where as others are special but not transcendent.

This year, Myles Garrett falls in the latter whereas someone like Leonard Fournette or Jamal Adams fall under the former. I still do have Garrett as my numbet one on my draft board but the issue now is that Malik Hooker, Leonard Fournette, Jamal Adams and even Johnathan Allen look like better picks for no. 1 now than Garrett does.

The more I see of him in college, the more I am scratching my head. Admits he takes plays off (attempts to throw this at other FBS players because he is now somehow the ambassador of the NCAA FBS), only 12 sacks against SEC competition and does not have an effective counter to his bull rush. However, the worst of it all is that, for all his power, he cannot set the edge whereas DeaShon Hall could.

Now, looking at someone like Malik Hooker is also a big risk. Lack of playing time and injury history is quite concerning. However, when you put the tape on, all I see is Eric Berry mixed with Ed Reed's range.

In short? Blame the media. They are the ones who attempt to sell these players towards possible new markets worldwide to garner interest and use the basics to furthet intice their current install base to generate discussion in hopes of selling these "saviours" to their franchise.

Last time I checked, the media is not the end story for these prospects. What they did in their collegiate career, how well they do in the medical checkouts and combine and how well they do in interviews is what truly matters. Anything else is icing on the cake as I see it.