1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

I'm not sold on Decastro

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by shaner82, Apr 21, 2012.

1. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Let me be clear, if Decastro fell to us at 24, I would love to take him, but I no longer want the Steelers to trade up to get him (not that they were going to anyway).

I used to be very, very high on Decastro and thought it would be worth it to trade up and get him if he fell past 15. I don't now. I've managed to scrape up video from a lot of his games and as hard as it is during TV games to focus on a guard, I managed to pay close attention to him. One thing I noticed is he's on the ground an awful lot. He's a good guard no doubt, but he just seemed to be on the ground far too often for a "stud" guard. If college kids are knocking him down that often, it makes me wonder if NFL tackles and linebackers will push him around. A guard is ineffective if he can't stay on his feet.

Add that to the fact that he's never played left guard and it really is a huge adjustment making that switch, and I'm no longer sold on him being worthy of a top 15 pick.

Anyone else hear or see anything about him getting knocked around a bit too much? I've never heard anyone mention that about him, but I watched a lot of his games and the guy is on his ass far too often for a supposed stud lineman.

2. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Well that's good, because we aren't getting him.

3. Myronwemissyinz

Myronwemissyinz

Oct 17, 2011
    Well if he does fall to 24(which will not happen) and we do not take him.....YGBKM!!!!!!!! :facepalm:

4. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Funny, how different your perception is from other talent evaluaters.
    The only reason this young man will fall is because of the position he plays.
    If he falls to 15th slot and the Steelers do not make a play for him then, I personally will be highly
    disappointed.

5. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Never said I was expert or even right. Also not judging talent whatsoever. The guy is super talented, there's no denying that. I just found he was on the ground too much.

I'm not the only one doubting him being a top 15 guy though. Greg Cosell also thinks he's a bit overrated and thinks he belongs late in the 1st or early in the 2nd. Cosell doesn't think he's as athletic as many people believe.

6. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I do like the depth of guards in this year's draft more than most, and for awhile I was totally content with not trading up for DeCastro, taking Hightower at #24, and then Osemele/Silatolu in the 2nd. However, all three of those guys have been rising lately. Now it looks like none of those guards I like might be there, and even Hightower might be gone. I would trade my 3rd to move up for DeCastro.

7. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I am a Decastro guy he is a stud I also like Glenn now as his OG tape is great.....The more I watch film on Hightower the more I think he is not even a 1st. rounder talent wise......He lacks lateral quickness,no way can he cover NFL talent with his speed,and he also gets blowed out of the whole by big pulling Guards in College....That will only get worse IMO...

So I would hate to spend a 1st. on a 2 down player who might not even be that good at stopping the run on the NFL level....

8. numbah58

numbah58 Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Funny. I just watched a Courtney Upshaw interview and he was referring to a production chart competition that Nick Saban has every year. According to Upshaw, Hightower won it this year. Apparently the coaching staff felt he was the most productive player on one of the most dominant defenses in the history of college football. Sometimes it's possible to overthink a sure thing.