1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

I'll just leave this here.

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by aces4me, Oct 16, 2014.

1. aces4me

aces4me Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
  2. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    i don't have probem with hailey .. we have 10 times more play than we had with arians

3. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I'm just going to leave this here

:bscow:

2 TD's in 2 games is unacceptable, Haley doesn't get a pass for that. Plenty of blame to go around, from top to bottom.

4. Steel_in_DC

Steel_in_DC Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2012
    I think it is at least an interesting article. I do think it is a little too forgiving for Haley, for example, not sure if it is Ben or Haley but I don't think a sideline pass to a running back is wise anyway.

But as others have said he is the scapegoat. Everybody deserves blame, maybe a shake-up would help. But we all know the media, especially the Pittsburgh media adores Dick LeBeau and I still do believe he is a far bigger problem. I understand this defense may not be able to be to dominate, but the horrible back breaking mistakes leading to multiple plays of explosive plays over 25 yards + being given up regularly has to be partially attributed to LeBeau. Yes the players are supposed to execute, but when it happens time and time again, you have to pin that on coaching.

One other point I disagree with in the article is that a talent like Hampton would prevent a lot of this. I don't buy it. The issue with the defense of the running game is the line is being stretched out. The Steelers were pretty stout against the run against the Bucs and Jags because they don't run zone blocking. Last time Casey was in against Houston back in 2011 the Texans put up 180 yards against the Steelers with Foster running wild.

5. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    looking at this article ..ben (alone) left 3 td on the field ,i wonder if the finger is worse than we think

6. rukus4ever

rukus4ever Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    I have to agree with the article.

Too many issues with player execution. They are put in the position to succeed. They are not grasping the opportunities.

O-Line needs to open run lanes when in the red zone. WRs need to run precision routes. Ben needs to make accurate throws.

Defensive secondary needs to play their position and stop anticipating and biting the fake so much. Defensive front 7 needs to get consistent penetration into the backfield to disrupt plays (starting with the D-Line). It got so bad at one point in the last game that Timmons took it upon himself to rush in and blow up the opposing center.

The team needs to be both disciplined and focused for 60 minutes, on both sides of the ball. The coaches need to figure out how to help them get there. It sounds like they're there in practice. But, on game day, it's not looking good.

7. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    If Haley is to blame for the 2 tds in 2 games who is to blame for the multiple 100yd rushers given up, the big play after big play, the journeyman qb's carving us up like a dahmer victim, and the 31pts put up by the clowns? I agree that there is plenty of blame to go around. However, our red zone problems were here before Haley and seem to have no end in sight. Most NFL teams have red zone problems actually. It is because so many teams use a lot of spread formations that rely on space but when you get around the goal line you don't have any space to work with and defenders have a much easier time stopping you. That is my two cents anyway.

8. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    Dude we have completely sold out on so many defensive snaps to the play action it is ridiculous. Teams used to have a hard time running that against us but not anymore. So many articles keep trying to make Haley the goat and while I acknowledge we aren't making enough plays I also feel it necessary to point out that even if we WERE making plays and scoring tds it really wouldn't matter when our swiss cheese d just turns around and gives up big play after big play. I will tell you this. Our offense is a heck of a lot more talented than our "defense". I consider our defense much more offensive than our offense I guess you could say.

9. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Thats just wrong :facepalm:

Arizona is 4-1 and dead last in redzone (last time I checked). Its very possible that play calling is still part of the problem. Just because there is a new OC, doesn't mean it can't still be contributing to the problem.

Execution will always be the leading cause for failure but I've always had a problem with the play calling in the Redzone, whether it was BA or TH.

Plus I hate Haley so I blame Ebola on him.

10. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    Yeah our red zone playcalling has been bad for a long time. Ben has begged for a big target forever but they just won't oblige him. Look at how the Bears do in the red zone. Cutler just throws it up to Marshall or Jeffries and they can make him look like a pro bowler. BA's system is much more conducive to red zone failure than Haley's though. However BOTH OC's had horrible lines to work with here and that is really a big part of our red zone problems. Still even if we had the greatest OC of all time with this defense it really wouldn't matter. Look at how many high powered offenses that manning has led but would still lose games because the d would turn around and give points back. Until we fix this d I don't care how good our offense is. We aren't going to be serious contenders. I think we have a very talented offense as far as skill positions go but our d is incredibly suspect. We are a lot like Atlanta in the fact that we have talented guys on offense but not a good defense at all. I think if THIS offense had 08 or '10's defense we would be absolutely unstoppable. IF we could execute.