1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

ILB Competition

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelers4Lyfe, Aug 16, 2018.

1. Steelers4Lyfe

Steelers4Lyfe Well-Known Member

Mar 13, 2018
    I just wanted to post this here and see what others thoughts are. I truly believe we could use 2 new ILB’s. They both looked lost.

At this point, what is the harm in bringing in Timmons, Bowman or anyone else for that matter? I don’t believe they can go into the season like this.

May be they are hoping for a camp casualty? I’m just praying at this point.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  2. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    I'm praying for a Shaz miracle. He will have to learn the new rules though.

3. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Whole line backing crew is a disaster

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    If they bring in LT94 its because the staff has lost faith in Olsavsky and Butler to overcome the deficit in the players they have here. Does LT94 have deficits....yes. Does KB or JO know how to counteract, we shall see. Quite frankly, those defensive coaches need to step up...there are only 32 positions in the world that they hold and you just want to admit defeat after preseason wk 2....come on. I believe KB and Jerry O have the horses already on the roster, they just need to teach them instead of resting on their laurels and bringing in vets.

5. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    LJ Fort played okay tonight. I thought Matt Thomas looked okay from what I saw. Neither Bostic or Vince looked good at all. Matakavich is just a mess. I'm not sure what they are going to do.

6. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    I'd have brought back Timmons a long time ago. No way would we be seeing the poor angles and tackling we've been seeing. He also was a leader on the defense. Something considerably lacking.

7. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    I like Matt Thomas a lot, but the dude isn't starting material yet IMO. He killed it in coverage, and showed his speed running past Berhe on that TD run. Also did great in wide coverage against a Tight End.

A bit disappointed in Bostic at the moment. He looks the part, but has been making very non veteran mistakes.

8. Steelers304

Steelers304 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2015
    bring in timmons or bowman or a camp cut

9. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I'll say it again fort and Thomas should be playing with the first string. They made tackles, they broke up some passes and the ones that GB completed on them the coverage was right there and there was no YAC. I'd like to see them with starters around them. They are both quite mobile. Call me crazy but it would happen.:cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  10. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I definitely consider bringing in one of those two guys.

Our three best players on the defensive line haven’t really played much if at all this preseason.
    These inside linebackers that we have aren’t talented enough to pick up the slack for second and third string defensive lineman.
    My only hope at this point is once our starters are all in there will look and play much better as a unit.

But yeah I agree at this point Timmons or Bowman definitely look like an upgrade over what we have.

11. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    Next game will tell a lot.:cool:

12. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Agreed Mac. We have to see these guys playing with starters around them to really know if they have what it takes or not.

13. Steelers4Lyfe

Steelers4Lyfe Well-Known Member

Mar 13, 2018
    I agree. They are going to have to deal with a big powerful runner in Henry and a scat back in Dion Lewis. It will provide them with a viewpoint of the completely opposite spectrum.

Thinking of Vince Williams stuck in coverage of Dion Lewis is already giving me nightmares. And for a preseason game!! I’ll be at the game so hopefully I don’t have to drop too many F bombs.

14. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Agree mostly but to me it seemed Vince was living in the backfield and creating lots of pressure.

15. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Hey crazy....it's actually not a bad premise but I'm not sure how it would work on a first string basis ,mostly because of lack of experience. I definitely agree on passing situations although VW has a knack of getting pressure up the middle. Thomas seems to be showing some pass rush ability himself from the outside and with his speed can be effective. I definitely wouldn't mind seeing more of a VW /Thomas pairing....nice thought.

16. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    Fort had a sack last night up the middle. He had one last year. He has had many that were not sacks but hard hits on qbs forcing the throw. He led us in tackles last night. On two occasions last night fort and Thomas were both on the tackle together. That's what we need. I'm not worried about the lack of experience. The experience will come with playing. We need these guys running to the ball the way these guys do.:cool:

17. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Trust me I hear ya and I like the combination too but when I talk about experience I don't mean just playing experience...who of those guys is gonna call the defense? We have enough problems with communication....

18. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Good point, but I don't see them sitting VW98, so he'd have the green dot. Although I would like to see Fort and Thomas rotate in more. I wouldn't mind seeing the Fort/Thomas combo either. I'd start those 2 in game 3 and see how they do. Fort should be able to call the defense, I would hope..

19. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    I wouldn't want them to sit Vince...I actually think any combo of Fort/Bostic and Thomas/Vince would be ideals because then you try and get the speed we are missing combined with the signal caller on the Defense no matter the combo....hmmm.

20. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Timmons and Bowman wouldn't be much of a upgrade IMO, both of those guys are on the wrong side of 30 and won't offer much in coverage.

21. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Not just for the Inside Linebackers either. The Nose Tackle position is telling the same.

What happened to Javon Hargrave? Is he in Tomlin's doghouse? Is Big Dan REALLY beginning to live up to his potential? Something else?

We shall soon see.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    I don't think Vince has the green dot now. I thought one of the safeties has it now I was reading somewhere. I think Vince is part of the problem against the run. He isn't signed past this year and he didn't get big money to be the starter so I'm convinced they are searching. Vince is a good backup but he's limited.:cool:

23. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    We should get to see the starters in the next game and see what we have. :cool:

24. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    It may be very optimistic 6 but now is the time to find out while we are in the preseason.:cool:

25. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Indeed.

Next Saturday cannot come soon enough! At home no less!