1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

ILB Biggest Need?

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by Go Deep, Jan 24, 2012.

1. Go Deep

Go Deep Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    I think we all know how crucial our defense is to our success. So, in order to get back to true form of getting pressure on the QB, takeaways, and protecting leads I believe that ILB is our biggest need in this years draft or free agency. I realize Corner is a HUGE need also but we possibly have a couple young guys that could make being a pro their priority in life and actually want to be better than mediocre in this league. Thoughts? I really like 2 of the ILB in this years draft. Hightower and Burfict.

2. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Are you talking about just on defense? Because I think OL is a bigger need for sure...

But on defense, yeah, we need to get a successor to Farrior this year. I guess it won't be Sylvester after all. We also need to add a NT, a CB and a S, but I wouldn't disagree that ILB is the biggest need of them all. You can't get by with only one good ILB. We tried that with Foote for waaaaay too long. Okay, we won a Super Bowl. But still! Gotta have that stud in the middle.

3. mrn6

mrn6 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    agreed, draft order should be

Inside linebacker
    Guard
    Tackle

4. HugeSnack

Oct 17, 2011
    If you're putting Tackle that high, you must be planning on moving either Colon or Gilbert to guard?

5. Cbus Steelers

Cbus Steelers Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    1st round - OG/NT
    2nd round - If we get NT in the first then OG here. If we get OG in the first, then ILB/NT depending on players available at those positions.
    3rd round - whichever of NT or ILB hasn't been addressed yet.

That's how I think the first three rounds should go.

6. HugeSnack

Oct 17, 2011
    Assuming they don't reach for anyone, I'd be very happy with that. I'd be ecstatic if DeCastro was the OG.

7. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I think we need a OG,NT and a Safety type......I have high hopes for the kid from S.C we signed a few days ago.....I am still in the camp of Quality over Quanity.....So I would be willing to deal some picks to get better talent.....

We only have a few seasons left before we are really looking to rebuild so I say now is the time to mortgage the draft and get guys who can help right now.....A ILB won't help us for at least 2 years maybe 3 so IMO there are really only 2 ways to go in round #1 OG or NT......

8. TheWanderer

TheWanderer Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    as an arizona state alum who was excited about burfict's hype coming into the program, watched every single game of his entire career, and live and in person watched the asu games this year at home vs mizzou, usc, uofa, and cal and the road games at wazzu, ucla, and oregon . . . burfict sucks. my opinion of him is more in-depth on the 'draft' page in this forum.

9. steelers5859

steelers5859 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Best vaule at

1. OG
    2. NT
    3. ILB

Whoever the best value is at these three positions should be the number one pick at 24.

10. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    What stinks is we need some of these guys NOW. Lebeau wont let a ILB start until years 2 or 3. That is of course unless he he is a highly polished first round pick....

11. SteelYourPoints

SteelYourPoints Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I was thinking
    1. G
    2. NT
    3. ILB

12. HugeSnack

Oct 17, 2011
    I don't know if I agree with that. Yes it would be awesome if we could land a Kendrell Bell or Patrick Willis kind of guy to start next to Timmons on day one and stick around for a decade. But that's probably not going to happen because whatever guy we get simply won't be that good. At inside linebacker, I'm actually okay phasing the new guy in gradually over a year or two. As long as they actually work him in and get him significant reps (the kind of reps Foote got last year), I'm cool with the Farrior/Foote cocktail for another year. That was not our weakest spot last year. It wasn't a strength like years past, but it didn't kill us. What I want at ILB is a long-term solution. In the short-term I can take a little waffling there.

Offensive line, however, is a different story. We've got a star quarterback who can barely set his feet half the time and nearly gets murdered every week like clockwork. We've got an outstanding stable of running backs who all underperform to their abilities. We have an outstanding stable of receivers and tight ends who could be doing more with more support. We have a window of time to get to the Super Bowl that may be closing, and an achilles' heel that has been hounding us since Tomlin took over. We need an answer for that line NOW. Like, week 1. I'm assuming Gilbert and Colon will start at LT and RT, and Pouncey at C. If both of our guards on day 1 are men that are currently on the roster, I will be very disappointed.

13. BLACKnGOLDsince72

BLACKnGOLDsince72 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011

:this!:

14. colsteveaustin

colsteveaustin Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
  15. mrn6

mrn6 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011

I am putting a tackle that high, because we have no depth there. Essex can help, but I am not sure about Jonathan Scott. Starks, who knows?

16. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    Saaaaaaaaame here, Tibet. Heck, we may even go the FA route for the ILB help and forego it completely in the draft. One thing that will have to happen though is a double-F pay cut; I think Foote/Farrior combined will pull in around $7 million next year.

We need guard help desperately. Not necessarily for the run game, but just better pass blockers. I'm even fine forcing the issue some and taking someone higher than they are "supposed to" go, something that we maybe should've done with Duane Brown a while back but passed on. Of course, like usual, it all depends on how the cards fall draft day. Maybe we'll be forced into taking a safety in round 1 because everyone else left on the board blows chunks. I f'n love this time of year, so much armchair FO'ing to do!

17. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    OG, NT, ILB, OL, CB, QB, Safety,DE

18. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    I think you only take an ILB in round one, if you just can't pass him up. Perfect 3/4 nose tackles are hard to come by. But, I think if they have a great guard at their #1 spot you got to go that direction, I think it will make a below average line, a good line.

19. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    there are two guys i really like and i wouldn't be suprised to see the ol pick two, that we have done in the past. james-micheal johnson from nevada and jerry franklin from arkansas. they seem like the most complete ilb's in the draft as far as size, speed, run stopping and pass defense ability. they could be picked past round 3. i just don't see alot of major talent at the NT spot to warrent a pick that high this year. they still have a couple of options here already that may not be a squat, huge block in the middle that we are used to with casey, but are good players and may bring a little more speed inside in bryant and ziggy and mclendon. al woods could even via for some time there. casey isn't gone yet and could give us another year to find out. :cool:

20. gpguy

gpguy Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011
    Tibet??? Is HugeSnack "the poster formerly known as" FreeTibet?

21. HugeSnack

Oct 17, 2011
    Dang, my cover is blown. Now I'll have to find a new identity. Hmm... :cool:

22. gpguy

gpguy Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011
    Yep...your busted!

23. TheWanderer

TheWanderer Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    what ever happened to keyaron fox? did they really not think that guy could play? i thought he was going to be the next in a long line to just step in and play well. the earl holmes variety. he made more plays in limited action than sylvester has. i don't know that sylvester is ever going to be the guy.

24. gpguy

gpguy Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011
    He was a FA a year or 2 ago and signed with Washington.

25. HugeSnack

Oct 17, 2011
    I liked Fox a lot too, and I was dumbfounded when they started playing Foote in relief of Farrior with Fox still on the roster. Fox started a couple of games for an injured Timmons and played very well. He also consistently thrived in the preseason. It was against second stringers, but he dominated like a starter would. Just a good, solid player. Also excellent on special teams (except for his very final play on the Steelers, when he committed a stupid personal foul during the Super Bowl when we were trying to make a game-winning drive).

In our lackluster preseason opener this year, he played a good game for the Redskins.

I am not comfortable with Foote starting. I would be comfortable with Fox starting. I would have kept him. I thought letting him go was a sign that Sylvester was going to take over, but now it doesn't look that way.