1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

If you thought Bell wasnt used as much in the game plan as usual...

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Sep 14, 2017.

1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    you were right.

He played in no empty packages. His usual role as 4th receiver went to JuJu.

Punishment? Or easing him back into action after missing camp? Either way, I hope thats not their plan going forward. Take snaps away from Rogers for JuJu. Removing Bell from empty packages is a bad idea IMO.

2. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
    I have a feeling he'll be back to his usual roles this week or next.

3. blackNgold

blackNgold Well-Known Member

Dec 15, 2014
    I agree. As frustrating as it was to see Bell barely get any touches I think it was a good call by Tomlin to ease him in.

We did get the W.

4. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012

Don't think it was punishment at all. It was more a combination of bell not being ready and the steelers shooting themselves in the foot with penalties.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. CanadianSteel

CanadianSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    They ran the 4 WR set 9 times on Sunday for 108 yards. I like having Bell on the field, but this formation was quite successful.

I would imagine they'll gradually mix in Bell a little more... Start him in the backfield, then motion him out wide, to give another look.

6. steelcurtainmrp

steelcurtainmrp Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2016
    He will get his normal reps this week.

7. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    juJu had 0 receptions I believe.

I'm sure the formation is more successful with Bell in it.

8. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Could possibly be.

However Blast, this is all Bell's doing.

From getting suspended, his inability to stay healthy and his recent actions have all led up to what's transpiring now although not entirely.

I suspect this is done due to the fact they want to ease in JuJu more into the offense to add that extra redzone target and possession receiver just as much as punishment for Bell.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    He was not used as much because Coach T was not going to make him the Bell Cow again like he did last year . He will be worked back in more and more going forward . I still don't think he will have a great year that jump cut looked more normal to me . It used to look unique and only a few NFL guys could do it. I think he has lost something .

IMO we have seen the best of Bell.

10. 69-2now

69-2now Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2017
    That's what greed gets you.

11. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    they put new things into the offense and bell missed that in camp. it will take awhile to catch up with things so he probably won't be used as much for a week or two. :cool:

12. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    Really? You are being serious? I've seen you post what I believe to be some head scratchers on here, but this might be the one that has me scratching until I break through the skull and start tickling my brain (no offense meant. I'm sure you have the best Pee-Wee program in America). Do you think Redman still has anything left in that all-pro tank of his?

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  13. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    It would not be the first time a guy had multiple Injuries and didn't return to form. Don't break your skull just keep watching .Can he still be good ?yes. Can he still be elite ?yes . Will he be the best RB in the NFL ? I don't think so . Will he ever be as good as he was before the injury ? I don't think so.

What makes Bell the very best at his position ? Is it Power ? Is it speed ? Is it his hands ? Is it his route running ? Is it his vision ? Is it his elusiveness ?

My take is it is his Elusiveness at #1 then #2 would be his vision.#3 would be his route running . #4 would be his hands . My position is he has lost some of that agility that made him elusive .Is it 5% ,10%,15%,20% ? I don't know as of yet . but he looks less agile to me .

If what I see is true it stands to reason that would effect #2 even if sees the hole can he still get in it the way he used to? Can he make that jump cut fast enough ? Can he cut it back fast enough to exploit that crease ?

Would it effect #3 ? Of course it would change of direction is huge in route running .

How about #4 ? Not really , but if he can't get open as easy as he used to then he won't be able to use his hands to the degree he did when he got open more .

Funny you should mention Redman .Multiple injuries not only slowed his career it ended it . As I stated not to far fetched to think a RB with multiple leg injuries has lost something ? Now if he has , how much ? and how much will that effect him?

Last edited: Sep 15, 2017
  14. Dustin

Dustin Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2016
    I think he will be back in a most formations. IMO i think it is okay to keep his reps down early. Say what you want but the reason he could not play in the AFCCG last year was because he was over used. Keeping him fresh for a playoff push by taking some plays off earlier in the season might help us in the long run. Its not a sprint its a marathon.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011

Yeah he took alot of flack over this season opener lol. He should use that criticism to get better.

16. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    Now you are going to call what Redman had a "career". Why do I keep waiting for the theme from The Twilight Zone to start playing in the background. By the way, I am sorry that you took the time to write such a profound analysis trying to impress me with your football acumen. Honestly, the only thing I noticed was the word Redman and that drew my attention (I'm easily distra...oh, look, a commercial for a prostate exam).

17. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011

He can't he lost a step :rolleyes:

18. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Can you prove he has not lost a step ? Why was he so bad this season the 1st. game back compared to last year after missing the first month ?
    Why did he go to that foot work clinic ?
    Maybe he was afraid to come to camp ?

Don't worry all the pundits will be joining in soon enough . It will become a true topic of discussion before the season is over .

I looked at his tape again the Bell of old would have made that catch on the screen . The Bell of old would have had an explosive jump cut and the Bell that just played did not.

19. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    No, they really wont be :lolol:

And the only topic for discussion around here at the end of the season will be you getting clowned for this.

He had 13 touches. Im just spit balling here but maybe thats why he didnt have good numbers. Sprinkle in the fact that he didnt practice and play in any preseason games and theres the more likely answer and not that his play has fallen off a cliff in one off season at 26 years old.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    This is funny. Really. Bell was better than ever down the stretch last year (less than 9 months ago) and exited the game vs the Pats for a groin injury - not a leg injury. However, he's suddenly lost a step permanently? At age 26? If he was an extra year or two removed from greatness, or suffered a debilitating knee injury to end last season, then yeah I think it would be reasonable to question whether he's the same caliber player. You're likely misinterpreting rust as something else that better fits your view that he should be jettisoned.

21. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Dude I went in for a prostate exam and trust me you don't want to do that! You can't even imagine my horror when I realized it is NOT multiple choice!

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  22. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    ...and by "the Bell of old" you mean the Bell of 8 months ago? LOL!

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. coldrolled

coldrolled Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2014
    He screwed the team by not being at camp...

24. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Yes the Bell who didn't have the lower body injury . Has Bell not went down every season with a lower body injury ? At some point they will have an effect , my position is we may already be at that point . As I stated his mobility is his main strength if it is compromised in any way he will not be as good as he was before the injury .

I hope I am wrong and it is rust , but I didn't see it like that . He looked a step slower, his jump cut looked slower, his ability to explode when he was ready to looked different to me .

As stated last year he game back and in his first game I didn't see any of that this year he looked much different . Am I wrong possibly because I don't get to see him on a daily basis .Could I be right ?Yes as the tape supports my view at this point and time .

We will have more tape after the game if it is great tape then I will be proved wrong , but if it is not the question of his Mobility will still remain.

25. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    I honestly think his greatest strength is his vision and patience. I just thought he looked really detached Sunday.