1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

If you had your choice, would you give up on Tomlin?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelcitian, Oct 10, 2017.

1. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    What in the ever living hell does race have to with anything??? I get punched in the nuts by the mod team for making a rude comment (which I rightly deserved) but this crap is more offensive.

MT has not been COY because he hasn't actually done any coaching in Pitt. He is a motivational speaker who underachieves with outstanding talent. He reached his ceiling as a coach in Tampa. Sort of like hiring a pop warner coach to coach a D1 program.

2. SteelHaven

SteelHaven Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2012
    Terry is 100% correct. Tomlin had a nice run but the organization is in need of a new voice after 10 years.

3. SteelHaven

Sep 24, 2012
    More excuses. If Tomlin knew how to develop these men into professionals then there would be less diva and more focus toward consistency. 10 years in and its a ****** mess.

And about Ben..maybe as coach he should help Ben mentally prepare for games but I'm sure being around Tomlin most of his career has lowered his football IQ

4. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    No, I wouldn't replace Tomlin. Not at this time.

There are 32 of those jobs, and there are 10 million "experts" (myself included), each with their own opinion on how those 32 guys should do their job. Even if you don't like Tomlin, you have to admit that he is better right here in 2017 than at least 26 of his contemporaries. Is there a potential unknown that could be better? It's a pretty safe bet there is. I trust that the Rooneys will find him.......when the time is right. I just don't think that the time for a search is in the foreseeable future, nor should it be.

5. SteelHaven

Sep 24, 2012
    This town is too consumed and obsessed with Tomlin...its unreal.

6. The Sodfather

Nov 17, 2014
    Agreed.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. BK99

BK99 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    First of all, I never said Belicheat was my idol so stop with the assumptions. Tomlin has lost more games to sub .00 teams since 2009 than any other head coach but those don't count I guess. As for Bellicheat being blessed with a QB he didn't draft, well the same could be said of Tomlin, in fact Tomlin was also blessed with an outstanding defense which he hasn't been able to get right since and has only gotten worse over his tenure. So Bellicheat has no losing seasons as HC of the Pats and has only missed the playoffs twice in the Brady era but has always been the number 1 or 2 seed, Tomlin has backed into the playoffs a number of times while still having a franchise QB and a top 3 defensive unit for his first 4 years and after that he still missed the playoffs 25% of the time, funny how other coaches with a franchise QB seem to do better. Pete Caroll, look what he built from ashes, a perineal cellar dweller he crafted into a defensive powerhouse and won a SB or the best comparison would be Jon Harbaugh, he won a SB and he did it with Flacco, so I guess his stats, which are similar to Tomlin, makes him a bonafide genius in your book and he too should be coach of the year. Yes all teams lay eggs but none more consistently and just go look at every winning coaches record since 2009, no other coach has lost more games to sub .500 teams than Mike Tomlin, case closed.

8. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    We get it. You think Tomlin sucks. Tomlin's overall success proves other wise. Can't have a discussion with someone that can ONLY focus on the negatives.

The ownership would had fired Tomlin a long time ago if he was as bad as you believe.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Sadly not, my friend.

That stat has been discussed before, and there are a number of variables to think about. I posted this in another thread, shows some of the other stuff to consider:
    https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.c...the-steelers-actually-bad-against-lousy-teams

Which is not to say there isn't an irritating inconsistency with the team. But there is no closed case on why that is. I suspect multiple factors.

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. The Sodfather

Nov 17, 2014
    How are the Ratbirds looking this year? Seattle is sitting at 3-2. I made the point that at the minimum, there may be five other current NFL coaches that might be better. You want to can MT to try a retread or to try some young hotshot because this team sometimes loses when they are favored? I will side with the Rooney's that they will know when the time is right to make a change. Six Lombardi Trophys and two runner-up seasons tell me that they might have a handle on the coaching situation.

11. We need a change

We need a change Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2017
    Sometimes I think folks forget that teams like Chicago and Jacksonville have quality players, Jacksonville had the best pass defense in the league. The Tavens were supposed to have a good D but the Bears got to them also. They draft top 10 every year. We draft towards the bottom almost every year and have good success because the organization and game planning. Now, those teams will jump up and bite you because they are professionals and they can win games with pure athleticism. They won’t win long term because they don’t have the quality coaching we have in our organization. We were not going 16-0, and we normally pick it up in the second half of the season. Another factor is that we play a majority of our games at home the second part of the season. We won Sunday with two back up O line guys and the defense looked a lot better. It seemed like Haley opened things up a bit and mixed Conner and Watson. I’d love to see Eli get back in the mix. Time will tell I guess.

• Like Like x 1
  12. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    I can remember being frustrated with Cowher after the '04 season and all of the AFC Championship losses. The losses to sub-par teams while Tomlin has been HC are frustrating to no end. I still don't think Tomlin is a good of a coach as Cowher. Until Tomlin can draft a franchise QB and a "once in a generation" defensive player like Troy Polamalu, the jury is still out, in my humble opinion. Tomlin may have already accomplished the defensive pick with Shazier and/or Watt... we'll see how their careers unfold. However, the future franchise QB remains.

13. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Cowher isnt responsible for drafting Ben though, those accolades belong to Rooney. Cowher was going to draft a lineman.

We'll find out soon enough how Tomlin compares to Bill without a franchise QB soon enough though. The situation will be pretty similar.

14. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    If Ben retires after this year, and the Steelers decide to get Cousins or Smith in Free Agency, they will have a franchise QB. If they decide to roll with Landry Jones and Joshua Dobbs, then the situation will be similar to Cowher's from '92-'03.

15. Thigpen82

Oct 17, 2011
    O'Donnell was far better than Jones or Dobbs are at the moment. And he fitted the Cowher system almost perfectly.

I agree that when Ben goes it will be a test of Tomlin's leadership. Using it as a comparison to Cowher just doesn't work, though. As I've said before, it just overlooks too many factors around the teams they had/have.

16. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    I agree about O'Donnell. He was the best QB the Steelers had under Cowher's tenure not named Roethlisberger. I'd rank O'Donnell 3rd behind Bradshaw and Roethlisberger. Kordell Stewart #4.

17. Thigpen82

Oct 17, 2011
    Yep, that's pretty much my ranking too. Man, I was pissed off when O'Donnell left and threw his career away.

18. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    Too bad Super Bowl XXX turned out the way it did. O'Donnell took all of the blame for that loss, which is unfortunate because one of those picks was the WR running the wrong route. Had that game turned out differently with a Steelers loss and no fault of O'Donnell.... Steelers would have signed him to a 2nd contract. With O'Donnell at QB for the '96 and '97 seasons with those rosters, Steelers chances of winning Super Bowl would have been off the charts. With O'Donnell.. Steelers beat the Patriots in Jan '97 at Foxboro. With O'Donnell... Steelers beat the Broncos in Jan '98 in AFCC. Packers would have been tough to beat with Favre in the Super Bowl... but possible.

19. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I dont think he would have stayed. One of the reasons he left was because the Steelers had asked him to lead the team to the SB, he did that and they were only going to make him the 10th highest paid QB. Steelers couldnt offer more because they wouldnt have been able to keep the core of their defense together. The other reason he left was because his agent convinced him that if he could bring the Jets back to prominence, he'd be a legend.

20. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    Let's see: Young, Aikman, Favre, Marino and Bledsoe were the only QBs off the top of my head that I can think of at the time who were outright better than O'Donnell in 1996. Jim Kelly was on the decline. Randall Cunningham was pretty damn good. So the Steelers were right to offer him #10 ranked money.

21. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    N.O. unfortunately didnt see it that way. I think they go back to the SB the following year if he stayed.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    Steelers ended up losing Rod Woodson and Chad Brown after '96 which began the mass exodus of talent from '97-'00. By the time the defense was back up to championship caliber in '01... O'Donnell would have been done anyway. But, there was a 2-year window... '96-'97.

Speaking of windows... the Steelers had theirs with Ben from '14-'16 and blew it. I think the window is shut. Hope Ben proves me wrong.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2017
  23. Steven Leonard

Steven Leonard Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2017
    After researching Tomlin is currently 42-25 against sub .500 teams when they played. However he did have a 15 game winning streak against sub ,500 teams from the last game of the 2009 season until the 3 game of the 2012 season. By the way Belicheat has lost 9 times to sub .500 teams since 2007.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2017
    • Informative Informative x 1
  24. lewisha

lewisha Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    So by that logic, the Browns should be in the playoffs every year, as many good players as they have drafted in the top 10. And having 14 losses since 2009 against teams with a combined record of 25-87 is not next level coaching. And do you really think that a good coach doesn’t have his team ready in the first half of the year, but only the second half?

25. We need a change

We need a change Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2017
    You made my exact point, even with great draft picks, they still lose. We get the worse picks and win, it’s called coaching. To educate you further, back when Noll and Cowher coached they a lot more camp time and padded practice. Just today in an interview, Bellichek, who people seem to love, said”you can’t look at a team in the first 6 weeks because a lot of things are still getting sorted out”. The starters do not play in the preseason and many issues have to be worked out at game speed. I can’t believe how much people on this blog sound like a bunch of ignorant parents sitting at a youth league game complaining about the Coach and someone else’s kid. The reason the Browns lose it because they fire the coach every year and bench players after one game. The reason this organization has been successful over the long haul is that the ownership is not impulsive and doesn’t listen to pundits.