1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

If you had your choice, would you give up on Tomlin?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelcitian, Oct 10, 2017.

1. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    This is a good point and why I roll my eyes when I see or hear the word "parity" in reference to the NFL.

The Patriots have never had a losing season with Brady at QB and have made the playoffs every year he wasn't injured except for '02 when Pats went 9-7.

The Browns have only 2 winning seasons since they re-entered the league in '99 and only made the playoffs once in '02. The Steelers beat them in the wildcard round that year.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2017
  2. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    Parity isn’t allergic to the bell curve.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  3. BK99

BK99 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    He hasn't been named coach of the year because he has never deserved it. He came into a good situation with a franchise QB, not many coaches get lucky enough to have that happen. He has kept the ship steady is about the best you can really say, you don't get coach of the year by just having winning seasons when you have done nothing to improve the product you were given. I don't hate Tomlin, but I don't think he is very smart when it comes to X's and O's, sure, he knows the game but knowing the game and then being able to take that knowledge and craft a plan to win week in and week out is something he has never been able to do. A good example is the Jags game versus the Chiefs game, the Chiefs couldn't stop Bell but they were able to slow him a bit in the second half because of some in game adjustments, and they did it with the offense too. When the Steelers were struggling against the Jags, what adjustments did Tomlin make? NONE!!!!! And when we lay eggs like that it is obvious that they had no plan A or even a plan B, they look like they only prepared for one thing and if that doesn't work oh well. Last season the beat down the team got from Philly, there was another fine work of in game adjustments, they couldn't stop a screen pass and rather than try to make a correction at halftime they came out and over pursued the QB and had no contain so we witnessed more 70 yard screen passes going for TDs, no answer for it nor did he even attempt to find one. That I'm biggest problem with coach T, he has done an average job with an above average roster, coaches of the year find ways of being able to put their players in positions to win, Tomlin just hopes they find there own way and if not he'll go back to the lab and do the same thing the next week.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. coldrolled

coldrolled Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2014
    There are a lot of Steeler Fans who liked this quote... “I don’t think he’s a great coach at all,” Bradshaw, the former Steelers Hall of Fame quarterback, said about Tomlin with a straight face. “He’s a nice coach. To me, and I’ve said this, he’s really a great cheerleader guy. I don’t know what he does. But I don’t think that he’s a great coach at all.”

• Like Like x 1
  5. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Coach T is a good Coach he has his faults as all Coaches do. In my view they are just like the players that make it to their respective level. They have skill ,but they need to grow beyond that skill . The skill is just a part of it and how you develop from that skill will be what defines you .

Coach T has not excelled neither has he failed in that regard . My take is the book is still open .

6. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012

It seems to me things are set up pretty well for life after Ben. Solid o-line, running backs, wide receivers, and a couple of decent tight ends. The defense also appears to be a piece or two from being dominant. One of these days the tomlin haters will have to admit he's a damn good coach and stop grasping at straws.

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. rukus4ever

rukus4ever Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    No, I would not give up on Mike Tomlin. He is winning.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I think one helps explain the other. The pats know who they are and what they are trying to be. They have consistency. Since the Browns came back into the league they have struggled with an identity and it is hampered by hitting the reset button every three years or so. Until the new ownership decided to copy the Steelers and Ravens they would grab whoever the hot coaching talent was regardless of the fit for their team, waste draft picks and money getting guys to run a system that they weren't built for. They would start getting things on place and then blow it up before they got everything running.

In that regard Tomlin walked into the perfect situation he didn't need to establish who the Steelers were. Going in Art told him we run the ball here and play tough defense. Everything should be in furthurance of that identity and he has done a pretty good job so far. A few hiccups sure but like the Pats consistent.

9. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Ah yes the race card. That never gets old. For what it's worth I wanted Bill Cowher fired more than I did Tomlin for performance based reasons. Sorry that doesn't fit your narrative.

10. We need a change

We need a change Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2017
    If he doesn’t make adjustments, then how has he never had a losing season and made the playoffs 75% of the time. Your points are baseless, this isn’t college football, you don’t go undefeated to be successful. Your idol Bellichek has not won every year, and he got blessed with a great QB which he had no hand in drafting. When he had the Browns where were all his great abilities? As for coach of the year, he has taken his team to the playoffs using backup QB’s because of injuries, suspended players etc. and keep in mind the quote you made that he has done an average job with an adobe average roster. He built that roster!! How foolish was that statement. Average job? 7 playoff appearances in 10 years? There are 3 active coaches that have been to multiple SB’s and he’s one of them. All teams lay eggs, all teams lay eggs. Snap out of it.

11. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Terry wasn't real fond of Noll either when he played for him. Noll is one of the greatest ever. I like Terry. But I take him for what he is.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. We need a change

Oct 9, 2017
    I don’t think I said that, you did.

13. DukeDukeDaDaDa

Sep 24, 2017
    Right when you said "I feel I know why people won’t get behind him but I cannot relay that via this blog", nobody was supposed to read between the lines.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. We need a change

Oct 9, 2017
    Maybe like your conscience is sneaking up on you. Sounds like you play the card more than anyone else.

15. rukus4ever

rukus4ever Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    The only person I see talking about race is you.

16. OX1947

OX1947 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2017
    If Mike Tomlin gets a Andrew Luck type in terms of humbleness and attitude, that might be the difference. I think Tomlin has to wrangle up too much divaness each and every week. I do not know if that is the problem with him having his teams ready or if that is an issue with ****ty play against ****ty teams. I guess we wont know until Ben is gone.

Even if you get rid of Tomlin, which will never happen by the way, Rooney's love him, who do you replace him with? Jim Harbaugh? Some new guy? Not worth it. Not worth thinking about something that wont happen. So we need to hope once Diva Ben is gone, we get luck like Green Bay and we have a franchise Qb fall in our lap out of nowhere.

17. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    The crazy uncle at the party?

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. lewisha

lewisha Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    and the Chicago and the Jax game go a long way in the other direction.

19. DukeDukeDaDaDa

Sep 24, 2017
    Lol what? That doesn't even make any sense. I don't think you know what that term means. I criticize all coaches equally. When you constantly play down to inferior opponents it needs to be addressed instead of just saying eh just look at the overall record.

20. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I basically agree with Bradshaw. He's a good, but not great, coach.

21. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    You mean a guy that won 4 Super Bowls for us? :shrug:

I know Bradshaw rubs people the wrong way at times but I could not believe the stupidity coming from this board when he made those comments last year. A few wanted to erase him from Steeler history. If we did that we might as well erase at least 3 of those first 4 Lombardis from Steeler history too. He came up big in the biggest game when he had to every.single.time. The guy may have a screw loose, but he's ours Steeler nation, warts and all.

• Agree Agree x 2
  22. lewisha

Dec 27, 2012
    Bradshaw couldn’t spell CAT if you spotted him a C and an A! :lolol::lolol::lolol:

23. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    I thought you guys were done with Rick effin,' Astley???? :facepalm:

24. lewisha

Dec 27, 2012
    This so much. I think, IMO, if Tomlin would have had a hard nosed, run first ball buster OC, instead of the mad scientist Haley, and a DC who was also a ball buster (don’t see that with our DC, but he is doing something right), Tomlin’s “one of the guys” persona would be fine. But there seems to be very little accountability with this team.

25. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Don't worry buddy, some day your other testicle might drop. Until then, run along and play.