1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

If you had your choice, would you give up on Tomlin?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelcitian, Oct 10, 2017.

1. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Haley may not make the rest of this season as OC if he doesn't figure things out.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011

he also put the team in the situation of being 4-5 and having to win 9 in a row. it still came down to one amazing effort on one play to stretch that ball into the EZ or we never even made the PO's. in a game we dominated moving the ball up and down the field between the 20's we never got in the EZ against the chiefs. we also let them back into that game and again one play and one holding call away from not moving on. lets add going to NE and being owned and then having to say we weren't experienced enough to use more man defense because of two rookies starting. what? he had all season to work on it. this is the problem, too much comes down to being unprepared and just skimming by, by the skin of our teeth. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 4
  3. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Amazing efforts is why players win games. I shake my head when people use the term, "being unprepared" Professional coaches and players don't their keep jobs for very long being unprepared.

Lack of understanding and agendas by fans is the real problem. The Steelers coaches felt their best approach to winning games was the approach they took last season. You know what? That approach worked. The Steelers didn't have the personnel to get consistent pressure and to play man coverage across the board against Tom Brady. It was still a close game at half time. It's frustrating when people don't seem to understand or take the time to understand. I guess it's much easier to complain.

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    if close is what you are after then we are the kings of. :shrug::cool:

5. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Yeah, and the dumbest thing Tomlin did on that opening season run to 4-5 was take a baseball bat to Ben's leg in the 2nd quarter of the Miami game, especially after the other key injuries we had suffered. That was really dumb of him!

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. BURGH43STEL

Oct 23, 2011
    Nah I just have realistic expectations. I don't simply focus on the negatives to describe Tomlin or this organization. I don't have knee jerk reactions after every loss. I take some time to analyze and understand why the team loss.

Tomlin's helped this team make the playoffs 7 out of his 10 seasons, 2 Superbowls, and accumulated and over all win % .646. That't not the definition of close. That's the definition of a winner. Are you one of those people that believe the team wins in spite of Tomlin?

7. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    at times i think they do. are you one of those people that think we don't ever lose because of him? do you think when we lose because of poor player execution or game plan it's not his fault? those my friend are unrealistic expectations. i have a little knowledge of this and i've never thrown this around in this forum but when my teams under preform i am held accountable. it goes with the territory. he had a good team to start with player wise. he was young and a first time head coach. i saw that early. he made mistakes and i have always said he needed time to grow. he is and has been surrounded by some long tenured coaches from this league and i wonder if he listens to them? is he afraid to overrule them? if so we have a problem. there is too much talent on this team and too much know how for this team to look this bad against inferior opponents. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. BURGH43STEL

Oct 23, 2011
    Well if you believe, "at times I think they do" then why can't the team win in spite of him all the time?

Lots of speculation on your part. The facts show Tomlin is a winner.

I've been watching this game to long to believe in the concept of inferior opposition at the professional level. Pay attention and you will learn that. The NFL isn't college ball. All teams have the talent to beat any team.

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  9. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I want to say you're nuts but I said that when you predicted him for OC :lollmao:

• Like Like x 1
  10. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    that's a poor excuse for why this team lose's to inferior teams. If Tomlin is such a winner, why is this a trend? Pay attention and learn THAT!

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    Depends. The replacement coach has to be better. KC has a very good head coach, but I do not see him being available.

12. BURGH43STEL

Oct 23, 2011
    It's not an excuse. It's a fact in a league full of parity. If you don't believe me watch how teams compete vs one another every week. Watch how close most games are every week.

I don't even know how anyone can dispute that Tomlin is a winner. I believe only 2 active coaches have a better winning % than Tomlin. So take that for what it's worth.

13. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    And I would be willing to bet the team that signs him would get average to poor results and he wouldn't be a head coach anymore within 5 years.

14. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I'm well aware of parity. Believe me, my weekly pick' em standings bear that. I don't care about MT's winning %. I am pro-Tomlin for the most part. But I'm also not going to come on here like you and RPO and declare that he is without fault. He inherited a great team, organization and franchise QB. What has he done specifically that puts him over the top to warrant the "he is without fault" treatment?

With these surroundings, i would argue that he has underperformed. But like I said, I view Tomlin in a positive light, but his leadership has very visible warts.

When you are done carving your initials along with "MT/4ever" into the nearest tree then come talk to us.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  15. SteelHaven

SteelHaven Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2012
    Uh oh, the credentials are out.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  16. SteelHaven

SteelHaven Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2012
    I don't think its gonna be as hard find as you think.

17. We need a change

We need a change Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2017
    You could not be more wrong and I think today went a long way proving that.

18. We need a change

Oct 9, 2017
    I think that response speaks volumes about you sports knowledge.

19. DukeDukeDaDaDa

Sep 24, 2017
    Why, can you predict the future? I still stand by my statement.

20. We need a change

Oct 9, 2017
    Can you name a coach that is that much better? I know Belicheat has better numbers as well as being a proven cheater, can you name 4 more??

21. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Um yeah... Ok dude. Your response speaks volumes about your inability to get a joke. <mod edit> :nono:

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. DukeDukeDaDaDa

Sep 24, 2017
    His record is good in the regular season but how about post season? And fair or not isn't that what really matters? And why is your username called we need a change if you're arguing against it?

23. DukeDukeDaDaDa

Sep 24, 2017
    If the league is full of parity then explain the Cleveland Browns or the dominance of the Patsies.

24. We need a change

Oct 9, 2017
    My username is to highlight the way steeler fans disparage coach Tomlin. He’s a good man that has performed well in his job. He has never been considered for coach of the year and no one gives him any credit. It’s one thing for the rest of the country to ignore his success but his own fans are biased and I think as a fan base we need to change. I feel I know why people won’t get behind him but I cannot relay that via this blog.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  25. We need a change

Oct 9, 2017
    Again, your response speaks volumes about you. I bet you’ve never lost a game from the bleachers.