1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

If you had your choice, would you give up on Tomlin?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelcitian, Oct 10, 2017.

1. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I don't know man. The more he opens his mouth the worse it gets. I remember hearing that Fichtner was/is some kind of offensive guru.....evidently not. I know Ben is playing bad but it's more than that ,there is something fundamentally wrong with our approach on O. Whether it's In our preparation leading up to the game or our recognition of what we are seeing between the white lines and adjusting accordingly...I Think the fact they were actually considering putting Haley in the booth is telling and still might be worth a shot. There has to be a reason they were considering it....

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. TomlinSux

TomlinSux Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    Agreed and we are stuck with him for some time. Very unfortunate as whatever team he fields will continue to lack discipline. Game prep is horrible, in game management is horrible and making zero adjustments is horrible, but “the standard is the standard” until 2020.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Steelers89

Steelers89 Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2016
    Standard is the standard...and will continue to be so until peoplr give up their season tickets and boycott.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I would as long as there's a guarantee that Haley isn't the replacement.

5. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    You know I heard this story also. I was thinking the same thing Turtle. More reason why I think the Steelers
    have more troubles then I already thought.

6. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I am not flaming you, this is a discussion board for football fans that enjoy talking football.

Here are 2 names I would like the Steelers to talk to. Gary Patterson, Pat Fitzgerald. Go ahead flame me now.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2017
  7. BK99

BK99 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    You may think my comment is foolish but yours is just boneheaded. I say that with all due respect because you can site stats all you want, Tomlin hasn't been able to do anything with an above average QB. How bad has this secondary been since 2008? It has been horrendous and yet they still try to "fix it" by running the same soft zone and by plugging other teams cast offs, guys that couldn't make a practice squad end up starting for the Steelers. Tomlin is supposed to be a DB coach and know something about the secondary, so how does it look when your first and second round DBs (Burnt and Davis) look so poor on the filed. I know those guys are young but they look to be worse than they did their rookie seasons, that is on the coaching. While other coaches that have had winning records have had bad games, no other coach looses to teams they should beat so consistently that you can almost bet on it, and when you go look at the list only KC is the one that stands out as an anomaly because they rant the table after beating the Steelers. His record is abysmal and you can see by the way they play that there is such a lack of focus and poor preparation that it isn't even funny, so go bring out those stats about how good Tomlin has been and then compare it to other coaches who have had a franchise QB, or even take the Jags coach, Marone is winning with Blake Bortles, a guy who can barely complete a pass but he knows how to use what he has at the moment because they game plan, something Tomlin has never been able to do.

8. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012

You have either forgotten or completely ignored the fact they’ve been rebuilding the entire roster for a few years now. There are no quick fixes for that and it simply doesn’t happen overnight.

9. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Not gonna flame you either. You've picked 2 competent, if not spectacular coaches. But I suspect if you polled the fan base, they'd probably be less than excited about the two choice. Patterson is 57, so he's not really an up and comer. Fizgerald is younger, and he proving it ain't easy to win at Northwestern, by having a losing conference record over 10 yrs.

Hey, for all I know, either of these guys given the Steelers job might turn into the next Vince Lombardi. But in a way your proving my point. While there's lots of dissatisfaction with Captain Obviously, you're the only person in a week to come up with a name of someone they rather have instead.

10. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Well I am also looking at it as more than 5 games, how was the game plan for the AFCCG? MT was given a dream job, taking over a winning team of an organization who is probably the best to work for. Oh and add to that something most new coaches don't have a SB winning QB. Like I have said I am not going to get into the whole Cowher's players thing cause you still add players every year and you still gave to coach. MT and KC have done a pretty good job adding talent to this team and we are one of the most talented teams on paper.

All this and look what has gone on this year, Bell, AB, Ben, MT and of course the anthem thing is a black eye on this team. We have lost to a pretty crappy Bears team and just lost to a Jags team whose QB is pretty bad. Oh yeah he threw the ball one time....yes ONE time in the 2nd half.....COACHING!!!!!!!! Add to that we barely beat a Clowns team that started a rookie QB, remember when we were like 16-1 vs rookie QB's....yeah Lebeau use to eat them for breakfast.

In MT's time this team has under achieved big time and more and more each year. I am sick of the slick sayings why we lose and the whole next man up bs. Now remember in my first post I did say I wouldn't let him go now but if we stink up the joint vs KC like we just did vs the Jag offs then yeah gone and Haley as well.

I have stuck up over the years for Ben, MT and Haley but right now we no longer have a window we have a little doggie door and we need to right this ship and sorry if people don't feel my way but it starts at the top. This season isn't lost and even with a loss this week vs KC it isn't lost we just need to play better and all the off field BS needs to stop. jmo

• Like Like x 1
  11. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012

Ben said he asked his agent if he had noticed anything wrong with his mechanics. That doesn’t mean Fixhtner is bad at his job or that Ben hasn’t and doesn’t continue to work with him. Obviously you didn’t spend a second to think it was nothing more than a second opinion. Or that Ben is doing everything within his power to figure out what he’s doing wrong. You just saw the quote without fully comprehending what had been said and made some bs knee jerk reaction post paraphrasing it.

12. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    It's more then obvious that Ben is not Haley's biggest fan. He was mad and still carries a grudge that Ariens was let go. He has said on more then one occasion that he just executes the plays that are called. Personally with the way that Ben is playing I could care less who he asks what's wrong with his playing. Maybe he needs an opinion that will not kiss his @ss. He needs to improve starting this week against a powerful KC team. The tale of the tape starts this Sunday. Arrow up or arrow down is anybody's guess at this point. I'm hoping for arrow up and to see the end of the outhouse drama...

13. STEELWARRIOR

STEELWARRIOR Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    No I would not get rid of MT, but if I did Consider it...I would keep him on the payroll as a P/R guy he certainly has a gift for gab.:shrug:

14. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Sometimes the message gets stale and you just need a new voice. Tomlin has been in that locker room for a long time. I wouldnt mind a change but I certainly dont think he is a bad coach.

Id like to see Munch get a promotion. Would be interested in seeing what he could do. Hes very much into sound technique.

15. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    They said as much on (Inside the NFL) this week, something is not right with this team in the locker room and coaching..........

16. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I do have concerns regarding Tomlin. The sloppy play, especially the penalties, have been a problem for years. The underwhelming performances against weaker teams has been a problem for years. Who do you blame for those things if not the head coach?

That said, I don't think he's going to be fired. I do think it is time to move on from Haley, at least if the offense doesn't improve the rest of this season. It's time to put aside the excuses. A pass-happy game plan against the Jaguars was a huge mistake. I don't want to hear about the situation. It was the pass-heavy approach that led to the two pick-sixes. He also insists on going with an empty set far too often. Bell is too much of a threat as a runner to take him out of the backfield so often. You have to make the defense respect that option and far too often, Haley does the defense's job for them by taking the running game away.

17. Sojourner

Sojourner Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2015
    No. Who we replace him with?

IF there were a viable candidate out there I truly believed could do better I might consider it but as it is no.

18. Steelcitian

Steelcitian Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2017
    Isn't Charlie Weiss available?

19. Sojourner

Sojourner Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2015
    He was a great OC but not a great head coach imo. No I wouldn’t consider him to replace Tomlin.

As an OC sure.

20. Steelcitian

Sep 6, 2017
    This might get a few laughs-how about Jeff Fisher?

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  21. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    So problem solved. That did not take anytime at all.. Glad the OP was able to solve our coaching woes in short time :)

22. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    I just threw up in my mouth a little bit.

23. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  24. Steelcitian

Sep 6, 2017
  25. Coastal Steeler

Coastal Steeler

Oct 16, 2011
    That O Coordinator (my cuz never met) almost beat us in (super bowl 43) If Tomlin hadn't said Ben, get it done. We would still have 5 Lombardi's.