1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

If you had your choice, would you give up on Tomlin?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelcitian, Oct 10, 2017.

1. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Our 20million dollar franchise qb is playing like a rookie 7th round draft pick and the solution is to fire the coach?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  2. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    I don't think its required. Listen man. I have been on this forum since inception and the old one that use to be on the Steelers.com website. Pissing and moaning over coaches seems to come and go . No need to elaborate on the same tired ole crap from yesteryear . Tomlin has done really well for this team relative to his win and loss records and like others have point out jumping on the coaching carousel does not do anything but cause more problems relative to team unity and direction. Teams have bad games.. Get it?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Steelcitian

Steelcitian Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2017
    It wasn't pissing and moaning, it was asking for an opinion.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011

Yes I know you are not but generally these kinds of conversations get to that. Peace :)

5. Steelcitian

Steelcitian Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2017
    Sorry that you feel that way. the only thing I got to say is every silver lining has a touch of gray..

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  6. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012

Feel what way?

7. LoneGranger

LoneGranger Well-Known Member

May 5, 2016
    I would not get rid of him, but I (if I were Art Rooney) would remind him that his job is to be the head coach and not the players good buddy and he should channel some aspects of Chuck Noll in this regard. He needs to regain control of the team. AB should have been left off the game day roster. Cost his ass some money. This always gets a person's attention. Risk losing without him? He is risking the loss of the season by trying to the psychiatrist coach.

8. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    every fail under this team is the direct result of the head coach. if haley isn't doing it it's his job to change that. if ben isn't doing it, it's his job to change that. if the team isn't fulfilling it's potential, it's his job to change that. he's very slow to change anything. it's if he waits until it's past crisis time before he acts. he is the boss. we can complain about every player or coordinator but it boils down to being his call. he is ultimately responsible for this team being ready to play each and every week. :cool:

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Looks like Darcrav is back?

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  10. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011

Funny I was thinking the same thing only I kinda understand this poster a tad bit more lol

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  11. Watt Wack

Watt Wack Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2017
    He is what he is; he ain't changing his approach. Don't even bother. A lot of people will say, "Who are you going to get who is any better?" To that I say, who knew about Cowher before he got hired? Who knew about that young Rams' coach (who I think is going to be very good). The thing is, we don't know the young unknowns because, well, they are young and unknown. I have had my fill of MT. I loved him when they hired him, loved him for most years, but now? The jig is up. He is limited.

He is garbage as far as an X and O coach. He throws around flashy sayings, but they don't mean all that much when teams know what you are going to do based on your formations. Defenders know exactly where the ball is going. And he is more "cool" than he is a head coach. Why is it that Ben feels the need to say things in the press that normally would be a head coach's job? Because the head coach ain't saying anything. The team is unaccountable, undisciplined and unfocused. And Ben comes right out and says so. MT is like the parent who wants to be best friends with his kid instead of being a father. I can't stand people who do that. All this discussion is a waste of time; Rooneys think coach longevity is a badge of honor. And they are too cheap to fire a coach with years left on his contract.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    If you are in favor of replacing Tomlin, tell me who you would replace him with. Name a name. Someone realistic, someone who's alive today. Just curious who people see as an improvement.

Tomlin ain't perfect he has his flaws. He doesn't live in his fears, except when he does. He's reckless at times, and turtles in others, he's arrogant and terse during pressers, especially after a loss. And so one needs to hide the challenge flags from him. But, only NE and GB have won more games since Tomlin got here. He regularly goes to the playoffs, he hasn't had a losing season. His teams never quit on a season, even when they have bad stretches. Players seem to like playing for him.

Most fan bases would take those results, warts and all.

Feel free to flame me, but as you do, give me the name of the guy you'd replacement Tomlin with.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 2
  13. TheTerribleOwl

TheTerribleOwl Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2017
    Very well said. There are plenty of things to criticize Tomlin over, but on the whole he has been as successful as anyone other than BB. The only two coaches with more wins have had better QBs.

14. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Yeah, I've been a Tomlin critic. I don't think there's anybody better out there. But I do think he's responsible for the circus this team has become. I think he's a little too buddy buddy with them and players like AB and Bell have taken advantage of it. But who's fault is that really? The coach or said players?

15. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    i know people find fault with saying these were cowhers players but MT walked into a very solid franchise with a mostly SB team in place and a franchise QB already here. he won his SB with a lot of those players. he has added to that but what has he won with those? this is a very veteran offense that is struggling under his watch. there are problems that keep happening over and over. he's brought in some very veteran coaches that have helped keep this team afloat for now but there are cracks in the hull. they won't be around forever.

:cool:

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Damn it.........I friggin knew it....

17. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Hard to argue...

18. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Much the same as when we had the debate over BA it is hard to get around the weight that fans place on former successes and past victories. While it's true Tomlin has an impressive record, doesn't have a losing season, has a 1-1 record in the Superbowl, there are as you say warts. The biggest being what has now officially become a thing, the underperforming vs losing teams.

So which carries more weight his past or his present. I know by his own words that everything that has come before might have brought him to this moment but they don't matter to the present. This is why every year the team is basically brand new in his opinion not last year's team with some additions and subtractions but a completly new team.

So if you are looking at his job performance based solely on this year it's middle of the road. If you look at the roster and the strength of opponents are you happy with his job. If you look at those things can you say he shouldn't be doing better or would the reason that he guided his team to the AFCCG last season.

It's very hard to debate without some discussion of what weight do you give to these things.

19. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I think you nailed it Mac with your two comments.

20. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
  21. We need a change

We need a change Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2017
    Call a Giants fan and ask them, they really stuck it to Tom Coughlin didn’t they? Hey they might be 0-5 but at least they got rid of him, Super bowl victories or not.

22. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    I could care less about the NY Giants or any other team outside the 412.

23. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    When Ben retires, we will see how good a coach Mike Tomlin truly is.

HACK

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  24. We need a change

We need a change Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2017
    If in your world you think decisions on coordinators and players rest solely on the head coach then you must believe this is Pop Warner. This is a billion dollar franchise that looks at all decisions closely. If you remember when Bruce was let go, Tomlin didn’t even know it was coming. It’s the big leagues man.

25. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    Thank you Hack, when Ben's done so is coach cliche, see ya MT.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1