1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

If you had to purchase a Steelers Jersey...

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Scrap, Sep 24, 2020.

1. Scrap

Scrap Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Thought this would be a fun topic and also maybe helpful to anyone looking to purchase a jersey for themselves or as a gift. If you were buying a Steelers jersey only from players from the current roster which one would you buy and which one would you avoid?

I am undecided over which I will get although I am leaning towards T.J. Watt.

Last year I wanted a Smith-Shuster jersey but I guess lost some excitement after Ben was injured and then JuJu himself and never did. I think I would avoid buying it now because I fear we have enough raw talent behind him that when his contract is up it is likely he will want more than we are willing to pay. And nothing is worse than buying an expensive authentic jersey of your favorite player only to have them leave the team.

Anyways, I am interested in hearing everyone's opinions as it may persuade me which one to get.

2. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    For the first time in my life, there's none I want.
    Unfortunately I'm really losing my passion for this sport. I used to get so excited for Steelers games and football games in general. That excitement and passion just isn't there anymore, and it's getting worse every year.

• Agree Agree x 4
  3. Bob in Canada

Bob in Canada Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2018
    I would buy:

D. Bush; C. Heyward; TJ Watt; and D. Johnson

I would not buy:

J. Washington or JuJu or any of the RBs. Just to much uncertainty if they sticking around long term.

4. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Big Ben away jersey. I have his home jersey. More than likely he plays his entire career in Pittsburgh. Not confident I can say that with any other current member. Decastro, Pouncy perhaps.

I guess Cam Heyward is a safe bet. That would be selection 1B.

5. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Last one I bought was right after Big Ben's first game. I was so proud to wear that. I just knew he was going to get us that elusive 5th SB.

Now I wouldn't spend a dime on the NFL but if I had to probably Watt.

On Sundays in my community a lot of people wear their teams jersey around town. Most of the Steeler ones are from the past. Joe Green and Jack Lambert dominate.

• Like Like x 1
  6. 86WardsWay

Dec 27, 2012

Several years ago we were leaving Pittsburgh on a Sunday morning to drive back home to Indiana after spending Thanksgiving weekend and the Steelers Vs Ravens were starting at 1 pm. We left about 9:30 am and there had to be 20+ people heading to church in their Steelers jerseys as we passed their church parking lot. The Steelers fans were a minority heading into that church but both my wife and son mentioned it. I had only 3 words for them. Big Game Today.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    I only buy retired players jerseys because I know how it panned out. But in the spirit of the OP, I'd be tempted to get a Claypool one.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. FeartheBeard

FeartheBeard Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    TJ Watt - I own it and, as you can see in my profile pic, so does my 6 month old granddaughter :)

• Like Like x 7
  9. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    10 years ago I bought Woodley and Wallace. That didn’t turn out well.

Couple years ago, I bought Brown, sigh.

I’d like to buy another. If I do, it’ll probably be Bettis or Ward just to be safe.

• Like Like x 1
  10. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    The little cutie crossed my mind when I read this thread. I thought that was her jersey.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    A.V. is the only one I'd buy for the foreseeable future.

• Like Like x 3
  12. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Watt is the safest bet. But we'd all be walking around in Watt jerseys. If you want to be different and the safest bet at that is probably Claypool.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  13. uncblue012

uncblue012 Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2017
    Are people seriously basing their football excitement on the political stuff and/or backlash from it? that's dumb. Just enjoy the damn game.

Also, Watt is your best option, yes :)

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    IDK about all that, as a veteran myself, I’ve always appreciated AV

15. steel_upper_lip

steel_upper_lip Well-Known Member

May 16, 2018
    it would have to be zach banner’s.

I could go around replicating his victory formation stance at opportune moments when going shopping or waiting at bus stops, or while in a cinema queue, etc.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  16. 86WardsWay

Dec 27, 2012
    Once Ben retires in the not so distant future all of the WR's will instantly realize that the Steelers never seriously addressed his replacement concerns. I can't see Claypool sticking around for the upcoming QB carousel, especially when the NFL is at it's peak with potential top tier QB's throughout the league. If Claypool continues to impress other teams will be going to the vault for his talent. Steelers will not be able to match those offers as we are constantly up against the salary cap.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  17. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I bought a Lambert throwback for myself and a Bleier for my wife. We are good until we are dead.

• Like Like x 3
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Solid point.

19. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    In consecutive years I have bought Watt, Connor and Juju. Got the 70's throwback of Watt and a block number Bettis. If Minkah has another all pro season maybe.

Would love to get Watt44 .

Nothing I don't want although I tend to avoid the flashy guys ie AB. So there is that.

• Like Like x 2
  20. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
    From the current roster, I only have Ben (I have an authentic on-field Polamalu jersey, and an old Kordell jersey, too).

So since I already have Ben, I'd probably get a Watt jersey if I were to get another one.

21. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    And as a veteran, I think there are still a few people who place the honor and pride of our country a little higher than football.....even if it was just football instead of a freak show.

• Like Like x 2
  22. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    #7, #86, and #43 are the only ones I ever bought while they were still playing because I believed they would never play elsewhere.....I hope I go 3 for 3:cool:

Lambert and Bleier make up the rest.

23. kakhatesmortgages66

kakhatesmortgages66 Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2020
    Out of current players, Id get Heyward. You know he's gonna be here for a little while. Id avoid JUJU, AV, Connor.....any of those guys who might not be here next year.

24. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    What they do in a Steelers jersey matters to me. Last two I have purchased are JuJu & Watt. Next on my list would be Ben, Minka or Claypool. Would still buy a Black n Gold Bell jersey at the right price.

• Like Like x 1
  25. TheTerribleOwl

TheTerribleOwl Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2017
    Claypool for sure. Gonna be here at least for a few years and I expect big things.

• Agree Agree x 1