1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

If you are Rooney...

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by polyjb, Jan 8, 2012.

1. polyjb

polyjb Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    how do you start the next meeting with Tomlin?

2. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    "WTF?"

And move on from there.

3. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    At some point when does the epiphany happen that we shouldn't be a pass first team... Our QB is better running playaction and scrambling, not slinging it like Breeze.

Redman was running strong, should have run him to glory.

4. polyjb

polyjb Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Yes Redman had a quiet "121"

5. Da Stellars

Oct 22, 2011
    when does the bell sound on our subpar offensive line. We need 2 ELITE guards. We prolly should draft one, but I would say we need to sign one in FA they need to stop drafting later round linemen and letting them go start for other teams...

6. Steeldefense08

Steeldefense08 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    The rooneys need to sit down with tomlin and make sure they are on the same page. Cause wasnt that 2 seasons ago when Rooneys told BA we are a run team? change it up.

7. bigplaywillygay

bigplaywillygay Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I don't even mind being a "passing team", the problem is being a passing team doesn't mean you pass it 100% of the time. It also doesn't mean your main method of passing is bombs away ball. The problem is Ben and our O coordinator are too dumb to figure out you can get more passing Tds by setting up a running game or at the very least setup it up by using the running backs in the passive game with effective swing screens, not that bubble screen ****

8. Da Stellars

Oct 22, 2011

Rooney vaguely said we need to run when we need to run. To me that means short yardage situations, but also redzone situations. Cowher teams were great in the Redzone because they started running heavily once they reached the 20/30 yardline not the 5/10 yardline.

9. edog55

edog55 Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    WTF is right!

Rooney should say, lets start with Arians, He's done, period. I stated my wishes before last season but, Arians went right back to his pass happy ways. We will start looking for his replacement right away, we will not bring him back. We are going in another direction, moving on.

Now, Dick Lebeau. We love him but his has gotten a little long in the tooth. Time for him to retire and move Coach Butler up as the D-Coordinator.

Now the players. We need to make a lot of major changes with quite a few of or players. Here is a list:

Ward - Bring on as wr coach
    Hampton - time is up, need a replacement - If we draft his replacement, keep him around for 1 year to teach
    Aaron Smith - old and injury prone - bring him on as an assistant coach to Coach John Mithell
    Chris Hoke - just old, time is up GONE
    James Farrior - old and slow GONE
    Bryant McFadden - you know he's done GONE
    Will Allen - Need to draft a young safty to learn from Troy GONE
    Arnez Battle - can only play special teams, we have young players now who can replace him GONE
    LarryFoote old and done GONE
    Chris Kemo - his time is up, need to draft a starting guard GONE
    Jason Kapinos - Better get someone better GONE
    Shawn Suisham - Better get someone in free agency or draft to replace him, weak leg GONE
    Anthony Madison - Just not good enough as a position player GONE
    Mewelde Moore - Baron Batch is his replacement - Good bye already GONE
    Willie Colon - To injury prone GONE
    Byron Leftwich - Just worthless and Injry prone GONE
    Daniel Sepulveda - To Injury prone GONE

10. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    If I'm Rooney I compile a list of people who want to fire every coach and all the players on this message board and I never let them in the stadium again and they have to turn in their Steeler nation card.

11. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Why?

12. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    New HC and maybe GM in Miami think they would trade Pouncey for Mendenhall or Wallace?

13. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    It was meant as a joke. I guess I should have used the LOL.

14. Da Stellars

Oct 22, 2011
    Rooney should make it a goal of Tomlin to fix his clock management issues....

15. noitall0605

noitall0605 Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2011

Post of the night my friend!

16. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Not with BA.....And as stated 2 PA passes off actual running plays that we ran.....We ran a few more tocken PA passes ,but Red was like 2 Zip Codes away from Ben on the fake...Thats the BA PA just pretend to fake the hand off to the RB on the sideline the D will bite on the fake.....

17. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Mike we need to go in a dffernet direction, Fire Ba, Fire D Lebeau
    and purge from your roster 10-15 players mentioned above. And lets get back
    to playing Steeler football.

18. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I would let Tomlin know that I'm extremely disappointed in the direction of the team and that I expect major changes. I would give him a few weeks then go back to Tomlin and ask him what changes he thinks are necessary. If he didn't feel that BA or DL needed to go, I would fire Tomlin. If Tomlin can't see that perhaps the game has passed DL by and that BA is a complete waste of oxygen, then Tomlin needs to go. If Tomlin stayed, I would remind him that Ben is not Brees or Brady and cannot play like that, so hire an OC accordingly.

I would also go to Colbert and tell him he had better have a damn good reason why the Oline and CB issues haven't been fixed in 5 years. I would let him know he better get them fixed ASAP or he'll be the tackling dummy in practice, then fired.

I also would ask Tomlin whether he believes a switch to a 4-3 would be better. We don't get all the 3-4 players like we used to, and Tomlin comes from a 4-3 anyway. Without DL, perhaps it's time to switch back.

19. HawkeyeJames

HawkeyeJames Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    No way Tomlin gets fired. The Rooney's are not a knee jerk reaction type of owner. Look where the Raiders are with all their latest coaching changes. Tomlin is one year removed from a Superbowl appearance and also has won one Superbowl. If the Rooney's did not fire Cowher during that 3 year stretch when they didn't make the playoffs, they are not going to fire Tomlin.

I expect this entire coaching staff to be back next year unless they decide to leave on their own.

20. Forged Steel

Forged Steel Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    While I agree with you on most of this..it will never happen. Not yet at least. We went 12-4, missed a division title by a 1/2 game, and are 1 season removed from a Super Bowl visit. However, I believe having 1 of the easiest, if not the easiest, schedule in the league masked our true weaknesses this season.

BA needs to go, I pray that the front office can finally see this. DL should not be going anywhere. Would be nice to perhaps bring in Raheem Morris to work with DL for a season and ultimately replace him. Not sure if RM would actually agree to this type of demotion...I think he'll get better offers. Our defense flat out did not perform last night. I don't think DL's scheme was the issue, the players were flat.

Colbert has been a blessing for this team, it's finally time to address the line and secondary, but I wouldn't drop Colbert for anyone else. I think his track record speaks for itself.

I think it's finally time for Tomlin to take actual control of this team and make some of the tough choices. The division isn't getting any easier. Baltimore is going to be just as good next year and Cincy will be even better with the treasure trove of draft picks they got for the Carson Palmer trade. We could easily be the 3rd best team in the north next year if we don't make some good off season moves.

21. Cru Jones

Cru Jones Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I don't see Rooney putting his foot down and making demands to Tomlin about the staff or personal, I think he will let his opinion be known, but ultimately will come down Tomlin & Colbert making those decisions.

22. slickster10

slickster10

Oct 23, 2011
    Do you fans realize how far it would set us back if we fired everyone??? I know the loss hurts but getting rid of coaches never changes anything.

23. mdbates2

mdbates2 Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    Agreed here. Even firing BA (which I would not disagree with) would set this team back. Firing ANY coordinator involves hiring a new one who will come in with his own play language, etc. OTAs and camp can't make up for sheer familiarity with a system. So, unless they're able to hire someone to come in and use the same basic wording and playset (not necessarily GAME PLAN), any change is going to mean probably a year of adjustment.

That being said - I'm one who believes firmly that the Steelers are masters at re-loading rather than re-building. So, if any team can fire/hire coordinators and not skip a beat, my money's on the Steelers.

24. Steeldefense08

Steeldefense08 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    mike martz is available. i think he is the type of hi powered OC we need with these guys.

25. Da Stellars

Oct 22, 2011
    He would take the deep ball to the extreme. Someone needs to come in and put Ben in check and tell him how its going to be. No more home-run derby offense.

We need balance.