1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

If we go to the super bowl...

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by nafsreleets43, Jan 2, 2012.

1. nafsreleets43

nafsreleets43 Member

Oct 16, 2011
    It will be hard to get rid of Bruce Arains, I like the guy but he just doesn't utilized his players right, especially his running backs. I cant remember the last time we ran a screen play to a running back! Maybe when Nerv Turner loses his job, we can make a run for him!!! :towel: or anybody else but arians!!

2. jhmiller3

jhmiller3 Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    OK, how many FBA threads do we really need?!?!? :confused: :mad:

3. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    Welcome aboard, naf. :drinks:
    Here's the thing- 12 and 4 teams don't get rid of their OC's...4 and 12 teams do. So, he'll likely be here for a while longer unless he retires (a superbowl win may help with that) or decides to pursue a HC job somewhere else, though I don't believe that's something he desires.

4. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    :lolol:
    Aww cut him a break, he's new here. He's probably had it building inside for quite a while. :)

5. 43FOLyfe!

43FOLyfe! Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2011

6. jhmiller3

Oct 22, 2011
    I know, I know. I am just getting irritable. Just blew off the entire day on the message board and I have to go back to work tomorrow. :(

I'll be good, I promise. :herewego:

7. white_steel_wolfe

white_steel_wolfe Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    A superbowl loss in a beating fashion could get him fired. Though who really wants to lose again just to get rid of that inept coordinator? Not me.

8. nafsreleets43

nafsreleets43 Member

Oct 16, 2011
  9. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    Who's going to hire him?

The league knows whats what. 2 Superbowl appearances and his name is never even mentioned when the annual coaching carousel begins. :hmmm:

His contract is up at the end of the year. If we win another SB, he very well may retire. And I'll wish him well and take back everything I ever said about him. IF he retires... ;)

10. lostyank

lostyank Well-Known Member

Oct 28, 2011
    I think this forum needs a sub-forum dedicated to Bruce Arians. :lolol:

11. TheWanderer

TheWanderer Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    could be worse. could be joe walton.

12. jhmiller3

Oct 22, 2011
    :this!: :amen:

13. bigsteelerfaninky

bigsteelerfaninky Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    BA is here as long he wants to

14. traceman

traceman Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    I'm just not sure where the blame falls for this terribly under-achieving offense. We have far too many playmakers to not be scoring a lot more points.
    Compare with NE...
    QB - advantage NE (I know...the same old argument "Brady couldn't survive behind our O-line", well I don't believe Ben would run their offense near as well as Brady does either.)
    RB -even with Mendy out I say advantage Pitt
    WR - by far advantage Pitt
    TE - advantage NE (of course they have 2 good ones and use them much more than we do)
    OL - slight advantage NE (they aren't as good as they used to be and our line has improved some)

My point is, we have as much talent, so why do we score so far fewer points? I have to go with the OC...Fire him?? I don't know, but this offense has been under performing for several seasons and something needs to change.

15. diehardsteel

diehardsteel Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Some organizations have under achievers on the payroll that, for whatever reason, they just keep around even though it's not really deserved. And that's why we have BA.

16. Cru Jones

Cru Jones Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    The biggest difference between the Steelers offense and NE offense is that under achievement is not tolerated in NE. Their coaching staff is not satisfied with ugly wins.

When Brady threw that pick in the endzone a few weeks ago, their OC was in Brady's face about it when he got to the bench.

17. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Back to the original question, what do you mean if?

18. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    RB advantage goes to NE simply for the fact that they are utilized way better.

19. Coastal Steeler

Coastal Steeler

Oct 16, 2011
    Guys you can talk about BA all you want. Bottom line, he has a great record as an OC.
    Y'all better learn how to spell his name, cause he's going to be here

20. ScottChab

ScottChab Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    So if we go to our 4th Super Bowl in 7 years, you want to get rid of our OC?

21. ThrowToHeath

ThrowToHeath Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2011
    The 14-2 Chargers fired their Head Coach five seasons ago.

Perhaps Penn State will go after BA.

22. harristotle

harristotle Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    No he doesn't have a great record as OC, the Steelers have a great record, the offense's record is mediocre at best, despite having great athletes at a number of positions.

23. ThrowToHeath

ThrowToHeath Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2011
    Oh where to begin on this one.

First and most importantly, New England understands offensive football. Pittsburgh does not.

Every Patriot offensive play has the intention of moving the ball down the field quickly and scoreing a touchdown.

Listen to Mike Tomlin talk in press conferences and it seems that he wants to see offensive plays take time off the clock which he thinks controls the game, move down slowly using token run plays, and he would be happy if they scored points but it doesnt seem to be top priotity. He would rather try to control the game clock.

If anyone here still thinks that runs up the middle that get stuffed for no gain will open up the pass game, then why do the best pass offenses (NE, NO, GB) eliminate the token runs from playcalling?

We have an OC that doesn't know how to game plan, a ehad coach that doesnt know how to game manage, and a fan base that is still primarily stuck in the 70's and dedicated to the power run no matter the cost.

P.S. I think the pass can open up the run, thus it is important to have a good running game. But you can't get there without passing first.You just dont run up the middle to open up the pass.

24. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    The Ravens seem to do this pretty well.

25. cory_86

cory_86 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    The Rats lose as soon as they don't get the DPI calls their "passing offense" relies and people manage to contain Rice.
    They lose every game in which they don't get riddiculous calls and Rice is kept from winning the game.