1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

If Vontaze Burfict was a Steeler...

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Da Stellars, Sep 8, 2017.

1. nor

nor Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2016
    Burfict was hated on his own Arizona State team years ago. Diamond (also from Arizona), am I right about that?

2. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Oh man I forgot all about Mean Joe.

3. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Burft is "dirty". James Harrison is "nasty". There's an enormous difference. A "dirty" player does things outside the rules and with bad intentions toward the opponent. A "nasty" player does things within the rules without bad intentions. I honestly don't think James Harrison or Hines EVER tried to intentionally hurt another player. I believe that Burfict does. If I'm starting a football team I want James Harrison. If I'm starting a zoo I want Burfict.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  4. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    Does he ever even start? It took a certain coach, and special circumstances for him to get his "legend" going.

As to Burfict, no. I'd be very critical of him. I love hard nosed football. Jack Lambert is my favorite player of all time. But there's a line you don't cross.

5. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    What?! Brady compared to burfict? How does this compare?
    One I dislike, because he's a winner and pretty much own my team in head to head competition.
    The other resort to dirty play on the field.
    Deebo, was DPOY and the next season...the posterboy for (bad)dell fake interest in players safety. The same style that got him DPOY! Got him fined out of the ying yang. I just read that burfict just signed 3ur 38mil ext. Not only, do I not respect this thug but there's no respect for his coach that clearly have no control of his team....or maybe, he agree with burfict style of play....hmmmm

Last edited: Sep 9, 2017
  6. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    You've got to separate the 'dirty' from the 'nasty.' Burfict is both. The ankle twists, nut grabs, kneeing etc is dirty. Everything else is nasty. Comparing him to Harrison regarding the nasty part is fair. The guy is the current villain and poster boy of the NFL just like Harrison was several years ago. As far as the dirty, all teams have someone who will cross that line, but Burfict is a repeat offender although he's seemed to clean it up a bit. I think fans in general will excuse both to a point with homers pushing that acceptance line back quite a bit. I think that if he were a Steeler, we'd react no differently than Cincinnati fans do and excuse his actions. People are people no matter who they root for, it's just human nature. But just as some Bengal fans are doing, there would be a mounting group who are growing tired of his act.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2017
  7. 69-2now

69-2now Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2017
    That idiot doesn't belong in the NFL.

8. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    If Burfict was a Steeler, he'd be universally loved. Tough hard hosed player that it a throw back to the era when the game was played by real men. Or so, the narrative would go.

There'd be plenty who'd excuse his Dirty play. Come on! He's physical, you want em to play in skirts? Remember all the outrage there was for James Harrison's fines for late hits? People wanted to pay them for him. Goddell was ruining the game. It would be the same with Burfict. Behavior rationalized and excused.

Apples and oranges? Yep, Burfict plays for "them" not for "us". That's the difference.

Now, I do think Burfict is dirty. And probably a bit sadistic, but he's not alone. I doubt he's someone you'd want to be around. But there are quite a few like that in the NFL.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  9. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    He was always getting personal fouls and game ejections along with the trouble he got into off the field with the police, and the bengals just gave him a 3 year contract extension last week while he is suspended for 3 games, go figure.....

10. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Speak for yourself.

There really isn't. A player can commit a dirty act, Im sure there is quite a bit of that but when its repetitive, then youre a dirty player and that, there isnt quite a few of.

Suh is the only other one who comes to mind that does outside the lines dirty play. Before him, I have to go back to Romanowski.

11. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Yeah Romanowski was a head case.

I loved how when he was playing late in his career CBS did a story about all the "vitamins" he was taking to stay young.

12. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    No, I wouldn't like the guy. I would hope that he stops hurting his team with illegal hits and I would want him to do well because he helps the Steelers.

I don't like some current Steelers. I don't like Roethlisberger due to his off-field history. The same is true of Harrison. These guys aren't all saints, but as far as I know, Burfict hasn't had the off-field issues that have plagued some current Steelers.

13. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    We would have never taken a head case like him, God help society when this knuckle heads
    football career is over. He is not a stable individual. Can't believe he has lasted on earth up to this point.

14. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    burfect a steeler? Ha i say. next we would want mike vick at qb or something. oh wait. :facepalm::cool:

15. swann_88

swann_88 Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    I must admit I was hoping we would get him out of college
    But this guy couldn't hold it together while winning a playoff game
    we don't need that

16. MadtownDruankard

MadtownDruankard Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2015
    If Burfict were a steeler, he would have been kicked out of the NFL a long time ago. I have no doubt of that. Just look at how Harrison was treated for just being an unblockable OLB. He scared the league and opponents check books every time he lined up against a good QB. So the league went after him. Mean while Watt does the same thing in Texas but he's loved by the league. maybe it's because he's white? I don't know, but none the less the NFL would have taken care of Burfict a long time ago if he played for Pittsburgh.

Any true steeler fan would hate Burfict's shenanigans if he were in the black and gold. He'd be hated in Pittsburgh for being selfish and hurting his team often. That's the difference. I have no tolerance to players that hurt the team with selfish play. Most steeler fans understand football and only care about winning playoff games. Bengal fans only care about beating the steelers. Every Cinci fan I've ever talked to is blinded by hate for the steelers. They've all accepted dirty play and thuggery for years now...they don't expect to win playoff games so they're happy to see Burfict's antics as entertainment. If Pacman came to pittsburgh he'd be hated also. Vick wasn't exactly loved, but his situation was a little different. He came to pittsburgh years after his dog killing spree..he'd already been punished and was in the twilight of his career..and he was a clip board holder. If he was actively acting like a douche when we signed him...there would have been outrage from Steeler nation.

Sure there might be a few of the "kill em all" kind of steeler fans that get satisfaction in seeing the opponent get injured, I get that also. To be honest I wasn't opposed to hurting any of my opponents when I played football, I just didn't want to get caught. If TJ Watt were to end Brady's career, I'd probably take some joy in that. If DeCastro were to end Burficts career, I'd be jumping for joy. legal or not. There's an element of "gladiator" in football that every fan wants to see, we all love the violence. That's what makes this game popular. If we were honest about Burfict we'd probably have a love/hate relationship with him. We'd hate him for hurting the team, but we'd love some of the hits and great plays. When he ended Bell's season for example...if the table's were turned, every steeler fan would love it. When Kimo hurt their QB a few years back I loved it....and mostly because it was the Bengals. I view them as having no soul. That team IMO is a gang of selfish thugs with no discipline. They deserve every misfortune they get. I hate the Ravens for the same reason. I hate the Patriots in similar fashion for other reasons. Any game against the Ravens, Bengals, and Patriots all is fair... I'm willing to take a blind eye to what needs to be done.

17. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Tell the majority of fans of #WhoDeyNation that.

You will suffocate under the fan mail I am sure. :lolol:

18. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Burfict is like Cooke when he played for the Pens. Although some of Cooke's really bad hits were legal in the NHL at the time. I don't know anybody who wanted Cooke to stay or still likes him. So I'd say no.

19. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I knew somebody would go into the James Harrison is a victim thing. He isn't. He was in trouble multiple times before making it to the NFL and at one point had to undergo anger management training. He was accused of assaulting a former girlfriend. That went away when she refused to press charges. He has a history of illegal hits on the field, though I don't think any of them were as intentionally dirty as some of the crap Burfict has done.

It is okay to enjoy how Harrison plays and how hard he works while still acknowledging that he has done some bad things on and off the field.