1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

If Vontaze Burfict was a Steeler...

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Da Stellars, Sep 8, 2017.

1. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Would you like him, and root for him?

I've been contemplating this recently ... Controversy aside, he is a talented football player. Is it just the fact that he is our opponent that he is vilified?

Harrison definitely laid some guys out in his day. Ward did. And to be honest, Lloyd -- who might be my all-time favorite player -- was definitely not a saint, although he didn't twist ankles in the pile or try to cleat players like Vontaze.

Do you think you would view him differently if he wore Black and Gold?

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Against The Rules Against The Rules x 1
  2. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Just joshing with the "Against the Rules" rating Da - but putting all seriousness aside, you saw how well Steeler fans embraced Vick a few years ago - end of story.

3. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Burfect is a dirty player and I would not want him on our team in that regard.

He is also a great player that if he ever cleans up his act will be one of the best.

If he played within the rules then yes I would want him on my team. Don't see that happening anytime soon though. He's already said he will not change the way he plays.

Reminds me of Terrell Suggs.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Da Stellars

Oct 22, 2011
    Suggs talks a lot of crap, but I don't recall anytime he did anything "dirty"?

5. TheTerribleOwl

TheTerribleOwl Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2017
    I think I would have reached my limit with him by now, similar to how I felt about Matt Cooke on the Penguins eventually. Burfict's transgressions are not always of the overenthusiastic hitting type. They are often pretty clearly actions that have no object other than to injure players. Just think of him twisting limbs after tackles. That is not a football play. **** him. He is a dirty bastard and the only player I would enjoy seeing injured as he has it coming at this point.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Burfict is a true blue dirty player straight out of a movie.

Llyod, Ward and JH are nothing like him.

I wouldnt want him but he is a talented football player. Too bad hes a piece of garbage too.

• Agree Agree x 5
  7. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    He's a talented piece of crap

8. Da Stellars

Oct 22, 2011
    Just to play devils advocate...

Lloyd, Ward and JH have all injured players. Lloyd was pretty nasty man, maybe you forget how he was? Ward broke a guys jaw. JH has sent numerous Browns players out on a stretcher.

I remember Peezy even laid out a limping Todd Heap who clearly could not defend himself.

9. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Agree. Ward literally wasn't dirty at all. He hit people on blindside blocks which were legal....eventually the NFL decided they wanted to stop that kind of hit. I'll never understand why people think he's dirty at all. JH was just trying to hit hard. None of his hits were away from the play or super cheap. He wasn't twisting ankles or trying to wreck dudes that aren't even in the play. He just hit too high and got fined for it.

Burfict is trash. He tries to hurt people away from the play by laying them out. He twists ankles, knees shoulders, goes for guys knees intentionally. Definitely the dirtiest guy in the league. If I were a fan of the bengals I would be soooo pissed that he got a new contract. I wouldn't support him at all.

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    No thanks.

I do not want a player who wants his next victim to become like Darryl Stingley.

11. dd63

dd63 Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2017
    Heap was limping, but he chose to stay in the game. He could have taken a knee or an injury timeout. He chose to participate in the next play and Peezy hit him legally and took him out of the play. There was nothing dirty about that.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. mgsmooth

mgsmooth Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2016
    All Steelers mentioned played on the edge and adjusted their game to stay within the "gray" area of the rules. So I don't think they were dirty.

It seems Burfict has never adjusted his game, or adjusted his game enough-To at least fall in that "gray" area of the rules.

That being said, He's either too selfish, not bright enough, or just a dirty player. I'm glad he's not costing us regardless what the reasoning is.

13. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Other than jamming Ben's face mask into his nose... Only time off hand

14. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    If bufrect was ours it'd go as it already does. We'd hope he's not the idiot he is, yet hope he helped us get #7. It's already blueprinted here on fan feelings. I guess we haven't had to deal with a dirty player per se but I'd bet it be discussed with the same non ending pros and cons as are already discussed here with our resident dummys

That said, if he was ours he'd already have been banned from football if the asshat commish really has that axe to grind with this org.

15. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    O
    Oh yes thuggs was...he's gotten old so not so much now. But, I can remember the game that Ben was wearing a boot and thuggs stepped right on it after the play was over.

16. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Point one...Burf
    Point one...Burflict is not, in those player's that you mentioned, league. Its one thing to be a beast thats feared on the field, but another to resort to illegal dirty play. Especially, when you dont have to. Burflict is a talented player, but choose to play dirty. If he was a steeler, he would be band from the league and broke by now...lol

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    There is hard nose football and dirty play. Like I said, Burficts style of play is straight out of a movie.

I remember Llyod, one of my favorite Steelers.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I'm all for physical play, but like Blast said there is a line between dirty and hard-nosed. Burfict would be the same as Suh imo. Very talented but their emotions get the best of them sometimes. The dirty play of some players would bleed over to the reputation of the whole team eventually, especially the FO and coaching staff. I think I would grow tired of trying to defend the organization after I saw one of its players repeatedly playing dirty. I wouldn't want a team like my beloved Steelers viewed in that light. I would prefer we give the other team a legal beat down.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    Nope. Too much of a liability. Bungles found out in a game against us. He is animalistic and out of control. He just had a fight after a dirty hit ON HIS OWN TEAMMATE this preseason.

20. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    90% of people on here would love the guy, even if they were a bit critical of his style of play. 10% would probably think he's an idiot and wouldn't like him. That's the way it goes with your own teams players.

For the record, I wanted the Steelers to draft him in the late rounds or sign him as an UDFA when he didn't get drafted. His talent level was simply way too high to be ignored, even though he is a mental midget (I mean a mental small person). Obviously feelings have changed and he's now the enemy, but I would have liked for him to be a Steeler since day 1, but that doesn't mean I necessarily would want to sign him if he was suddenly a free agent.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  21. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Apples and Turnips

22. Fugitive60

Fugitive60 Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2016
    What if Tom Brady was a Steeler?

23. Da Stellars

Oct 22, 2011
    If Brady was a Steeler we would love him... If Brady was a Steeler you still think he winds up with Giselle?

24. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    We wouldn't have big Ben.

BTW I would hate to have his arrogant cheating attitude involved with our organization. No way he would have that success with us anyways.

We would never spygate. Purposely deflate footballs. Cave to Gooddell's influence. And have an opponent melt down against us as bad as the Falcons did.

2 SB's yes (Same as Ben). 3 Doubtful. 5 No way!

Last edited: Sep 8, 2017
  25. nor

nor Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2016
    Burfict, Ray Lewis, Andre Waters, Hollywood Henderson..... I hate players that try and injure my Steelers.
    Although having said that...Dwight White at a Steelers Fantasy Camp one June long ago, taught us how to hyperextend an Offensive Tackles elbow if he's holding you....

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1