1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

If Tomlin is that bad

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SteelerGlenn, Oct 2, 2018.

1. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    How come Assistant coaches aren’t quitting?
    Take a guy like Munchak for example. He’s a guy who is pretty highly regarded, if Tomlin is that bad and unorganized why would a guy like that work under those conditions?
    This is an honest question.

2. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    It's a job to them they need to live

3. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Tomlin doesn't interfere with the O-line or Munchak. Likewise with the offense under Arians, Haley and Finctner. Tomlin has had his thumb on the defense for the past 2 seasons... and the results are in. Plus, I'm sure Tomlin had a hand in the drafting of J. Jones, Dupree, Gholson, Burns, Tuitt, etc.

4. TenaciousD

TenaciousD Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2017
    Did you ever have a boss you thought was bad? Did you quit immediately because you were a good employee? I bet you didn't.

It's very simple to think of several logical reasons why you wouldn't:

1. Your boss being bad doesn't actually affect your ability to do your job
    2. Your boss being bad doesn't impact your reputation since you are a good worker
    3. Your boss being bad makes it more likely that you will be promoted and take his place
    4. Your boss is your friend and you like him, even though he is a bad boss.
    5. Like 99% of people you need to work for a living and you're not going to quit and give up your paycheck because your boss is bad

You are really stretching for ways to counter Tomlin's lousy performance. I would give you an "A" for creativity though.

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  5. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012

Munch and is regarded as one of the beat offensive line coaches in the nfl he would be unemployed for about a week.

I can speak with firsthand knowledge of having an awful boss and quitting because of him. I started a new job 1/3 and left after 6 months. Why? Because my boss was farking awful. He was basically nothing more than a used car salesman. Did it affect my performance or how I did my job? Not at all. I still went in every day and did the best job I could. Life is too short to work for someone or somewhere that makes you miserable.

6. Smitch89

Smitch89 Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2018
    Yea I was about to say if your boss is so bad wouldn't u stick around just for the fact you might get your bosses job soon.. Hell id even prob try and speed up that process lol

7. TenaciousD

Sep 10, 2017
    There is a big difference between working with someone who makes your life miserable and someone who is bad at his job. No one is claiming Tomlin is making Munch's (or any coordinator's life miserable). They are claiming he isn't doing a good job as head coach. Very big distinction.

8. TenaciousD

Sep 10, 2017
    Bingo. Guess who would probably be a top contender for HC if Tomlin got the axe. Mr. Munchak!

If you're Mike Pence and you think Trump is doing such a bad job that he's going to get impeached would you resign?

• Against The Rules Against The Rules x 1
  9. Smitch89

Smitch89 Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2018
    If I was him since Tomlin's ineptitude at coaching isn't getting him fired might as well tell Rooney he's been stealing or something

10. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    They won’t leave because they know nobody would hire them lol jk

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Since when do coaches ever quit fur any reason other than a promotion? Never happens in pro sports leagues

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    If their boss was so bad, the Steelers wouldn’t have been 13-3 last season and made the AFCCG the prior season.

For a coordinator or position coach this is a damn good gig. That’s why they stay. It may be time for a change at the helm after this season, but it won’t be because Tomlin is a “bad” coach.

Before the Tomlin haters charge at me with the pitchforks, I’ll just say that if this season goes south I’ll be ready for a change. However I don’t think Tomlin is a bad coach, rather he may no longer be the best fit for this particular group of players. The shortcomings that people point out can be said of most NFL coaches. The truly great coaches are few and far between. I don’t think Tomlin’s great, but I also don’t think he’s bad. He can’t be bad and get the results he’s gotten. It’s just not possible.

While I may be ready for a change depending on how this season plays out, I will also keep in mind the saying “be careful what you wish for.” If the Steelers Fire Tomlin, Bill Bellechick isn’t going to suddenly quit in New England to come to Pittsburgh. The same goes for other well established coaches that folks think are better than Tomlin. The Steelers will need to take a chance on an experienced coach who has likely been run out of town somewhere else at some point in the past, or bring in a coordinator or college coach taking his first NFL head coaching job. There’s absolutely no guarantee that will work out better than Tomlin, and history says it probably won’t. So - be careful what you ask for, because you may get it.

Sorry Glenn, that was beyond the scope of what you were looking for, but I just wanted to say it.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Should the players quit too....because they sure look unorganized too. Glenn you do realize with the impending straw ban. You are gonna be grasping for air soon...:smiley1:

14. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    [​IMG]

15. TomlinSux

TomlinSux Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    The short answer...yes...he is that bad:hehehe:

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  16. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012

I think Trump is doing great but I'm not here to discuss politics.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Against The Rules Against The Rules x 1
  17. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    To be fair, a vast majority of GMs would have most likely taken Jarvis Jones who had a solid 1st grade round by a number of scouts

http://www.draftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=89646&draftyear=2013&genpos=OLB

The guy didn't live up to expectations by a number of people.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2011/profiles/bud-dupree?id=2552289

Bud Dupree was another. It's interesting as apparently you can't teach the ability to use hands. It was a knock on him coming out of college. Still hasn't improved, but he was a first round grade.

Burns was drafted for his athleticism and measurables mostly. He had a 1st to 2nd round grade. We got him at the end of the first.
    http://www.nfl.com/draft/2016/profiles/artie-burns?id=2555344

They had Stephon Tuitt as a 1st round projection. We got him in the 2nd
    http://www.nfl.com/draft/2014/profiles/stephon-tuitt?id=2543483

I'll add Terrell Edmunds. Looks to be the greatest reach in the first, but apparently other teams expressed a love for his athletic qualities. A projected 3 or 4th rounder taken in the first.
    https://www.nfl.com/prospects/terrell-edmunds?id=32462018-0002-5601-25af-a59d7c8988a5

Out of all of these, the only one that I would question without hindsight is Terrell. I'm not sure if this kid can play this hybrid linebacker type of role. He still is yet to show he can cover tight ends for what he was brought in for, BUT it is too early to truly assess where he stands iMO. I have a feeling the reached pretty good on that one.

• Informative Informative x 1
  18. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    I honestly do not know. Not sure if Tomlin is that bad either. I mean people go on about is efficacy and incompetency but I think when you look at his overall record among other coaches he is one of the best in the league.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  19. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Doing great at what? :facepalm:

Great at being born on third base?

• Like Like x 2
    • Against The Rules Against The Rules x 2
  20. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Right. If he’s as incompetent as some say you’d think he’d have trouble getting and keeping good coaches. Who wants to have their future in the hands of someone that’s as bad as some are suggesting?
    I really can’t think of any one significant quitting Tomlin and he seems to not have a problem getting good coaches.

21. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Great AV pic! Is that your family with Rod?

• Like Like x 1
  22. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011

Yes sir.. Those are my daughters.

• Like Like x 2
  23. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Even the great coaches have some bad seasons. Tomlin can't win every game. I'd like to see the team struggle to make the playoffs & come into the post season hungry & with some attitude this year.

24. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Very nice, congrats man!

25. TheTerribleOwl

TheTerribleOwl Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2017
    The offense has actually been worse than the defense so far this year if you look at the per drive statistics.