1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

If this was not a wake up call.

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by jsteelers077, Dec 8, 2011.

1. jsteelers077

jsteelers077 Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Then i dont know what is. If they refuse to upgrade this OL in the draft and look for a decent Back up QB then we has fans better expect this for some time to come. I just am so pissed off at how they have no respect for our franchise QB to get him protection.

2. bigsteelerfaninky

bigsteelerfaninky Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    hell we got ben he is a tough SOB...he dont need no help....

3. hi0

hi0 Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    Agreed, but there's only so long a player can keep things like tonights game up. Eventually they start catching up on you.

4. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    The OL has been deplorable for some time, They will be the downfall of this cuurent Steeler
    team and will shorten a great career of the most important Steeler since the dynasty years.
    Sorry Bussy.

5. mdbates2

mdbates2 Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    The injury to Ben was not an OL issue. It was a "BEN" issue. He held onto the ball too long and tried to make a play. We love it when it works and hate it when it doesn't. That time, it didn't. Ben should have thrown the ball out of bounds when he was near the sideline. If he does that, we're not even discussing an injury this morning. He held onto the ball, moved in and got hit.

I agree that our OL needs an upgrade, but the injury play is not a good example of why.

6. Steel Buckeye

Steel Buckeye Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    This ^^^^^^^ Ben held the ball waaaaaayyyyyy too long on that one, and it almost cost him and the Steelers the season.Im all for his ability to extend the play, but that was a little much. Run with it at that point or throw it away.

7. Colssteel

Colssteel Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I completely agree with this statement. :good:

Ben's injury was his own fault on this one. He had a great opportunity to throw this one away, but held onto the ball. That being said...Our O Line needs upgraded at the guard positions BADLY.

8. mdbates2

Nov 3, 2011
    Exactly, Colssteel. The OL needs an improvement to be able to protect Ben when he is in the pocket. On the play last night - there is no offensive line, present past or future, that would have been able to stop that play from happening. I was yelling at the T.V. for him to fling it out of bounds - into the stands - I didn't care. Get rid of it and live to fight another day.

If Ben has to miss games because of this injury, it is on him, not the OL.

9. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    You are so right.And I have never seen so many steelers go down in one like I have here recently.They dont block well but when they do they go out with an injury.

10. FeartheBeard

FeartheBeard Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    :this!:

11. sologig

sologig Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2011
    somewhere
    somehow
    somebody needs to put the blame on the real culprit BRUCE ARIANS!!!

i mean a beautiful rollout right and the receivers don't get open thus forcing Ben to "do his thing"
    why throw anyway?

12. mdbates2

Nov 3, 2011
    How is the failure of receivers to get open and Ben's poor decision to try to escape to the inside BA's fault?

Again, I'm no BA fan - kind of ambivalent to him, actually. But the injury play is NOT good evidence against him. That play was all on Ben. As I said above, when it works, we're happy. When it doesn't we're pi$$ed. Just put the blame for that play where it belongs.

13. sologig

sologig Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2011
    i was being sarcastic. It was a beautiful rollout and it should have gone for some good yards,or ben run for a couple or throw it away.
    when i saw Ben rollout i shouted "WAllace wide open deep!!!!!!!!" hell the whole dline was still engaged at the line way away from ben.Then he tries to go up stream against the pursuit and got snagged.

14. diehardsteel

diehardsteel Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Yeah, what he said! He don't need no stinking help!
    Everything will be fine. lol

15. ScottChab

ScottChab Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Are new o-line players going to make Ben get rid of the ball faster? Nope. Ben is the only one who is going to do that. Someone needs to get it through his head that he is cutting a Hall of Fame career short by holding on to the ball too long.

16. mdbates2

Nov 3, 2011
    Ah - O.K. Upon further review.... I catch the sarcasm.

I also thought that we would see a deep ball thrown to Wallace or Brown on that play. When I saw him get close to the sideline, I thought he would either launch it to one of them, or chuck it out of bounds. I could not believe when he tucked it in and moved TOWARD the pressure. ACCCK!!!

17. 12to88

12to88 Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2011
    He holds the ball too long because Arians' plays don't fool defenses. At all. If you watch from EZ views, all you see is a bunch of simple curl routes and slants that are covered. Remember what the Ravens said a few weeks ago: "We have to cover for three seconds. Because after that, Ben can extend the play." TRANSLATION: THIS OFFENSE CAN'T BEAT US RUNNING ITS PLAYS. IT CAN ONLY BEAT US AFTER BEN EXTENDS THE PLAY. This is a stinging indictment of Arians' offense.

People praise Ben for his ability to extend plays. But the question needs to be asked as to WHY he needs to extend them. If the plays worked well, he wouldn't have to extend them.

18. Steeldefense08

Steeldefense08 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    the Oline?

The Oline prevented any sacks to Ben in the 2nd half.

19. mdbates2

Nov 3, 2011
    Disagree with the premise here. You're right that plays should be designed to WORK - and sometimes they do and sometimes they don't. That happens to every team. Every play goes for a touchdown if it is executed perfectly (well - almost). But plays are drawn up without a defense on the other side of the ball. That's WHY he needs to extend them. There is no such thing as a perfect world or perfect play. Where we are blessed is that when the opposing defense lines up, if the play does not work as drawn-up, Ben is unbelievably good at making something happen and being able to keep the ball alive until something opens up. I've had the blessing/curse of watching the Stains all season - and we really don't know how valuable Ben's ability is until you see them play. It's like watching junior varsity.