1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

If the Minkah trade had never happened...

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by SteelCity_NB, Apr 27, 2020.

1. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    Imagine a scenario where we never traded for Minkah.

Granted we would have finished lower in the standings, but imagine we do have the 18th pick but still have that massive hole in the middle of the secondary, how does our draft play out if the rest of the picks remained the same?

2. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    The way this defense was trending without him there’s no chance we ended up at 18 probably more like 10 but I’d have to check the records of those picking around 10 I’d say we won 2-3 games because of him. So 5-11 or 6-10. There’s still a hole that needs to be addressed should MF gets hurt. We would also have had higher picks in every round we picked in as well, so it’s impossible to predict.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Everything else being equal except we are picking at #18 and we don't have Minkah....

I still say they would have went WR. We heard they didn't prioritize the OT position and Ruiz would have been the only one available on the interior. Too high for a RB. CB starters are set. I think they would have looked at Murray and Queen for ILB but that's kinda high too imo. I still think WR was the BPA. A ton of options to go there.

2nd round I think they look at a defensive player. Winfield would have been gone, but Ashtyn Davis was still there, Okwara, Zach Baun.

4. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    If I am re-doing any part of the draft, I'm not taking McFarland in the 4th. I would have taken DT Rashard Lawrence and kept the Dotson pick the same. Beef up the middle of that d-line as opposed to adding a fringe prospect in the 7th. I'm drafting a S or LB in the 7th because those guys always contribute on STs.

McFarland doesn't seem like he had a lot of production in 2019 and would have been available in the 6th I bet. If they like the guy, pick him by all means, I just thought the 4th was too high and I'd gamble on him being there in the 6th.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Totally agree. We could of had Jamycal Hasty in the 7th or possibly a UDFA. We could of let Hasty and Whyte battle it out for 5 snaps a game and used the 4th on Lawrence or Wallace and would of changed our pick in the 6th as well. We still have a hole at backup FS now still. Even though I was being told we have one capable on our roster somewhere. I can’t find one. Ive been saying we could use a back up FS who would also see snaps in nickel and dime. Taking one in the 4th could of solved that. Now it’s starting to sink in for some.....

6. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    We would have finished worse so our draft position would have been better. I would have taken Simmons if the scenario played out right.

If we had to trade up to get him, we would lose out on Claypool. Given the depth of the WR class, I would have made that trade, Simmons is special.

The other option would have been to take McKinney and the rest of the draft plays out the same.

7. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    If we hadn't made the trade, we would have been 4-12, picking 4th. Our defense would have been #1 priority. You take Simmons, because you have to. Or you trade back with San Diego at #7, get a pick, and still take Simmons.

Second round pick is Delpit or Winfield, or try to make a trade up for McKinney, all of whom could take the free safety spot. 3rd stick with Highsmith. 4th Rounders is Solomon Kindley. 5th Rounder is Quintez Cephus. 6th is Bravion Roy, 7th is Eno Bemjamin.

8. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Agree 100% with Blast. Chase Claypool has the potential to be special..... in due time. Sadly, time would have not been on our side had Minkah not been traded for. Acquiring a transcendent player like Isaiah Simmons is a great way to fix the secondary as I do not believe that Devin Bush Jr. alone would have been enough.

Add the fact that, backing up Sean Davis was Kameron Kelly; later arrested and released, and that Secondary is GOD AWFUL. Not including Marcus Allen either for obvious reasons. Here is a better take on life without Minkah;

[​IMG]

It is bad enough he cannot track the ball to save his life. Could anyone on this forum IMAGINE how many yards through the air this team would have surrendered with him as the final option as Free Safety?! Not talking about the worst in Steelers History. How about the WORST EVER.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    It had to be done and the Steelers knew it. Just like Vannett trade had to be done
    Mcdonald does not play if he has a hang nail. We had an unproven rookie backing him up.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Wow... when you turn on a player, you don't mess around. The reality is that Edmunds isn't a terrible player, he's just not what you want from a 1st rounder. Also: 1) I don't think Edmunds would have been the final option at free safety. He would have likely stayed in his role and someone like Hilton or Sutton would have been asked to roam the deep middle WHEN we used a single high kind of look; and 2) Without Minkah (or Davis), I expect that we would have played less single high, and played more Cover 2 and Cover 3 zone coverage instead of simply putting someone at FS who couldn't handle what Minkah was able to master.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    The Vannett trade did not have to be done. There were comparable players available as a free agent. Luke Willson was there for free. The Steelers foolishly wasted a fifth-round pick and the Seahawks got the comparable player, Willson, and the pick. It was a stupid decision by the Steelers.

12. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I think you are right that Sutton or Hilton would have ended up at safety if they hadn't made the move for Fitzpatrick.

Edmunds definitely isn't what you want from a first-round draft pick. He is the weakest link on that defense.

13. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Edmunds was the weakest link last year, but I think the weakest link this year may be not addressing Hargraves' departure as it affects our base defense. We got a nice additional backup for Cam and Tuitt in Wormley, but I'm not sure who is going to play the nose effectively when we're trying to keep a team from executing their 4 minute offense.

14. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    One thing that will help the run defense is the departure of Barron. I am counting on growth from Bush and more snaps for Williams. Hargrave wasn't a true nose tackle, anyway. He didn't clog up the middle the way Casey Hampton used to do for the Steelers. He was a 4-3 tackle miscast as a nose.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    Vannett could have been a good trade, the OC had no clue what he was doing. And very substandard play from the Qb position sealed this deal.

16. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

My biggest issue had that been the case would be is Sutton or Hilton up for it?! Keep in mind that, while both played that in College, neither has yet to play that in the NFL. That is a tall order to ask.

Side note, very seldom do I turn on players. Edmund's is the exception and not the rule. Why he regressed in coverage skills from Year One to Year Two has me very concerned.

17. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I know it has become convenient to blame Fichtner for everything that went wrong with the Steelers last season, but Vannett has never been good. He is, at best, a backup. He is no better than some of the guys who were unemployed at the time. It was a terrible trade the moment they made it and it cost them a useful draft pick.

18. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    To me, your turn on Edmunds is very telling. You were adamant that he was going to come around and be worthy of the first-round pick the Steelers spent on him. That you have come around to see that is not happening speaks volumes about just how poorly he played last season.

Imagine if the officials hadn't blown the call on Goff's desperation, fourth-down throw into the end zone in the game against the Rams. Edmunds and Haden were both there in coverage, but Edmunds just ran into the receiver with his arm in the guy's face. It should have been a pass interference call that very likely would have cost the team the game. Maybe that would have gotten the remaining holdouts to see reason.

19. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    Edmunds was always going to be a developmental Safety project. Upside was there which is why most had him as a 3rd round pick. I believe PFF had him as a 6th round talent.

There was never a reason for him to go in Round 1. Probably the worst 1st round pick of Colbert's tenure? Bad play and way overdrafted. Terrible combination.

• Like Like x 1
  20. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    So @SDOT was right about the Virginia guys? :hehehe:. I still say if he has a future here or anywhere it’s in a hybrid role.

• Winner Winner x 1
  21. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I've been slamming the pick since the moment they announced it, but we have had plenty of posters here going to insane lengths to justify it. I think the truth is finally sinking in for even his most stubborn supporters.

Edmunds might actually be a worse selection than Jarvis Jones. People forget that a lot of people had first-round grades on Jones, no matter how misguided that turned out to be.

22. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    The light switch better come on for Edmunds this year, he is by far
    the weakest link on the defensive side of the ball for the Steelers.
    I see the Steelers have brought in some competition for that position.
    I would hope they get a fair shot at competing for the starting strong safety position.

• Like Like x 1
  23. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    No, there won't be any fair shots. They held the torch aloft for Dupree after 4 seasons of mediocrity. They will do the same for Edmunds. They don't want to burn that first round pick stigma. He is still pretty young and a great athlete, they will hold on to that while they try to chisel the round hole into a square.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Even if someone was given a fair shot there is absolutely no one on the roster that is a threat to TE. While his anticipation and ball skills are below average so far ,you can’t question his durability so far either. He did have over 100 tackles I believe last year. He was also asked to play a lot more as a rookie than should of been expected. He is still very young and learning on the fly. I still maintain his current skill set is best suited in a LB/SS role. He could essentially be Mark Barron with more speed,hustle and superior athleticism. There has been rumblings of such a move (maybe they do read this board after all. :smiley1:)

I think with the whole Covid scenario it would be difficult to make that transition this year but we’ll see. Right now with the way the current roster is constructed they have to limit his exposure as the last line of defense. That pigeon holes MF for the most part and there has also been talk of him having a expanded role. I don’t see us being able to take full advantage of Minkah’s versatility until we find someone reliable on the back end. Which is why I desperately wanted to see a FS added to the roster. It’s going to be a strange season for all the teams without the normal preparation. This years most successful teams will probably be the ones who are able to lean on their methods and personnel from last year. I feel bad for any teams trying to implement any new schemes and teams with new coaching staffs.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016
    Malik Hooker reportedly got his fifth year deal declined. He will be a Free Agent in 2021. Given the fact that having two good safeties are better than one in addition to the team likely going to have Terrell be in a more box defender role, do we go for him?! Keep in mind that Mike Tomlin was present at Ohio State's 2017 Pro Day.

A local product as well I believe. He can also play the Single High, Deep Center Fielding role as well. He is also very versatile as well, playing Strong Safety during his time in Indy. Something to think about for certain.