1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

IF STEELERS GO FOR FIELDS

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelpens65, Feb 12, 2024.

1. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Lamar's MVP seasons saw him throw for 208 and 229 YPG respectively. It's not like Lamar is chucking it around the yard for 300+ with regularity. He's throwing a lot of 225 yard games with minimal mistakes, adding value as a rusher, and getting the ball in the end zone. Lamar isn't known for his accuracy either.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. TRUCK

TRUCK Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2016
    Not a dumb argument at all. Until you can point to a QB who's a better runner than passer winning the SB, I won't be sold on them. I'm sure one will eventually win a SB (after all, Trent Dilfer won one). Even then, their success rate will still be extremely low compared to traditional pocket passers and hybrid QB's who are great passers that can also run when needed.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    Lamar turned it over 13 times this year (7 INT, 6 FUM) and Fields turned it over the same (9 INT, 4 FUM). Now, Fields played 13 games and Lamar 16, but they are pretty close in this regard. It's not totally inconceivable that Fields could be a guy like Lamar. Maybe not get the MVP hype that Lamar gets, but someone that can throw for 230 ypg, add 50+ rushing ypg, and lead a successful offense that scores points. You have to be willing to live with some turnovers with QB's in this vein. Josh Allen turned it over 22 times and was probably just as deserving of the MVP as Lamar was this year. Guys that carry the ball from the QB position will fumble more than guys that don't. I'd rather live with a few more turnovers if we actually got to put points on the board. Not turning it over is only a virtue if you can actually score.

I'd be ecstatic if we went after Fields. Do I think we should trade a first round pick to get him? No. Do I think its a sure fire route to get a PB caliber QB? No. But he brings a lot to the table and would be a really good upgrade at the QB position. If we got Fields and then invested at C and shoring up the secondary... We could be a really scary team. A Pickett/Tannehill QB room would be the worst in the league. Can't be serious about winning games if we go that route.

I don't know why this type of move gets so much hate. An investment in Fields would be an investment in the run game... Steeler football of old. We have the pieces in place to make this work, and the loss of a 2nd or 3rd round pick would not be a super high price. If it doesn't work out we aren't invested in Fields long term...

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    I think the point is that you are trying to find a QB that is a good runner and has upside as a passer. Hurts came really close to winning it all. Lamar could do it if he gets out of his own way mentally in these games. Kaepernick almost won. Someone like Allen was a dual threat that was a better runner than passer coming out of college, but he developed into a high end passer. The league has only had these types of guys starting with regularity recently. Its only a matter of time.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. DJ18Baller

DJ18Baller Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2021
    The problem is none of these guys are the answer. Fields isn’t a good enough passer Tannehill is too old and KP just sucks.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. MadtownDruankard

MadtownDruankard Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2015
    We're not going for Fields. If we trade for anyone it's going to be someone Arthur Smith knows and has coached. I also read that the Falcons have a TON of free agents on that roster. You know Smith has some favorites on that roster that he will want for his offense. You cannot trade a 1st or 2nd Rnd pick on a QB and not just hand him the starting job. You trade for Fields if you want him as your starter. Guessing the Bears won't take Kenny P for him so ya.. lol.

we have way too many needs and our first 2 picks could actually yield elite talent which we desperately need on both lines. A good ILB would also be nice.

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I pointed that out in the next paragraph but you don’t have to be on Mahomes level to be an effective dual threat QB.

Just my preference as I think most people here know!

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
  9. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Ugh….

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    FMTI

no playoff wins.

we're doomed.

shouldn't have drafted anyone.

low budget free agents.

it's art 2's fault.

quit taking these losing teams players.

there ya go i'll get it started.:smiley1::cool:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Born2Steel

Born2Steel Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2023
    Fields could end up being another Baker Mayfield. I like Mayfield, I just don’t know he’s ever going to be THE guy. Good QBs are needed but turnovers are not acceptable. You want players that try to make plays but when it continually costs the team, it becomes bad QB play quickly. You don’t want the Checkdown Charlie QB either. So what’s the answer?

I think you have to keep drafting QBs until you get the one that works for your team. They are ALL a risk. Some risks just cost more.

12. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    Exactly. That's why I said if Kordell was drafted in 2015 instead of 1995....way different outcome.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  13. james weyandt

james weyandt Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2021
    SOOOO is Fields Mitch 2.0 should we stay away from anyone Bears have? Just a question.

14. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

you are correct - there are 3-4 of these guys playing each season, the guys that run as much as pass. and yes - Allen is a dual 'threat'. Lamar is a 'dual threat' as he passed MUCH better this season.

poor logic but that never stops the debates here.

and - by the way - TEAMS win Super Bowls, NOT QB's.....

this is a new era with running QB's.....it will happen, #trust-me

15. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    The days of the pure pocket passer are gone. Even with a good line, these defenses are so fast and so quick that.

The only teams with a pure pocket passer in the playoffs this year were the Steelers, Rams, and Browns.....All beat easily in round 1 by good, fast defenses.

All QB's in the conference championship games were athletic, mobile passers. Same with last year. Frankly, Stafford was pretty athletic himself and the only reason he is relegated to pocket passer this year was because of age. The last our pocket passer to win a SB was Tom Brady in 2021 and he's a bit of an anomaly. The only other QB other than Brady that wasn't athletic and mobile was Manning and that was 9 years ago.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  16. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    What classifies as good enough? Fields is behind Lamar, but not super far behind. He could be a Jalen Hurts like player... There are a lot of players that are good enough to win that haven't won.

Tannehill was never good enough and is past his prime. I agree that Kenny sucks. Fields COULD be the answer. He may not be as well... but he might be worth a shot. Its not too often someone with real upside becomes available at a reasonable price. Could be worth the shot. Otherwise we keep playing the high-stakes game of "draft a QB until you get it right then hope you can build a winner around them".

17. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    Well, you can live with turnovers if the player is good enough. Guys like Favre, Eli Manning, Matthew Stafford, etc. these guys have all won it all despite being prone to turnovers. Guys like Josh Allen have had good careers and chances to win it all despite being pretty turnover prone as well. Playmakers make plays, and sometimes plays are made on them too. The good ones far outweigh the bad ones.

We just have to get a feel of whether or not we think Fields could continue his improvement on turnovers (by both getting better as a player, and having less onus on himself to win the games as our team is far better than the team around him in Chicago). I think Fields could be good enough to win. Has to get better to get there, but its a non-zero chance he can do it. It might be worth the investment to find out. Otherwise do we roll the dice on Penix/Nix/McCarthy?

18. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Ever notice every single I have to run to play Qb ....each , and every one of them have the same excuses throughout history.....they didn't know how to use them....they didn't have enough weapons....the coaching sucked....I'm serious....look at the excuses for all of them....

19. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I agree, but it was actually a Denver LB....

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    What You are failing to say is
    1. He doesn't have to run.
    2. He tried running a few times earlier, and was shut down
    3. He didn't start having success running untill Injuries at Safety, LB on the 49ers happened, and the D was wearing down.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  21. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    Well, no one runs as much as they pass. That would be a true anomaly. Lamar threw 457 times and rushed 148. That means he rushed 24% of the amount of the times he threw. Still a large amount, but not quite just as much. Now, ALlen is definitely a dual threat. I'd consider Lamar to be more of a runner. He has passed better, but he still isn't a high end passer in the league. He is a truly remarkable runner though. But yeah, Hurts, Fields, Lamar, Richardson... not a ton of runners, but someone will get it done. Murray, Allen, Lawrence to an extent. Plenty of dual threat guys. Even the "pocket passers" today are athletic enough to beat you with their legs if they need to for a play or two.

And yes, teams win. If a team wins, the QB gets a lot of the credit (and somewhat rightfully so since a team can't win it all without good QB play in the playoffs/SB). They can have an individually poor game, but its hard to get 3-4 wins against good teams unless your QB plays well (regardless of whether they are an average or good QB). There are a lot of QB's that can win with the right team around them, but that QB still has to play well when it matters.

22. rmorphy

rmorphy Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2011
    Well the bears are drafting Caleb Williams with the first pick, so that's why.

23. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    yes - agreed (i did not mean run as much as pass - I stated that incorrectly)

we use the term 'running QB' - but what we want is a guy that CAN run but of course, has to have SOME passing skills.

and yes, that kind of QB will win a SB soon.....

Last edited: Feb 13, 2024
  24. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Ok then name Me the Last 20 SB winning Qbs.....it's always the best pocket passers. You people listen to the media, and don't use Your eyes enough. All Qbs can run if they want.....some have to just to play.

25. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Guess what....if We stick 3 Women Qbs in the league every year.....eventually a woman Qb will win a SB....that luck of the draw...., but not a percentage of a chance I'd want to take.
    Some of You act like running Qbs just started a couple of Years ago. I'm closer to 60 than 50 years of age, and I can't remember when there wasn't running, and scrambling Qbs in the league.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1