1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

If Rodgers came Here...

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by S.T.D, Feb 12, 2022.

1. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    [​IMG]

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Lets take a quick trip back in time

After being upset in the playoffs Brett Favre thinks it's time to retire

The Packers move forward with FA and the draft. Then Favre shows up at camp wanting his job back from the young QB that the Packers had been grooming

The Packers fan base is split. Booing Rodgers and chanting Favre during training camp.

The Packers refuse to trade Favre to the Vikings even though it's rumored multiple first round picks

The Packers have no choice but to cut or trade Favre after 16 years

The 3 time league MVP and Super Bowl winner went on to play 3 more years

Any of this sound familiar?

The trade? Green Bay got a conditional pick ..a 4th that became a 3rd

I'm just not sure the Packers will get what everyone thinks

HACK

• Like Like x 2
  3. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    Everything that I have either read, or heard leads me to believe that this is Aaron Rodgers decision this time around. The most likely scenario is that Rodgers returns to the Packers. The second most likely scenario is that Rodgers is traded to one of the 3 AFC teams that have been mentioned. The third scenario would be retirement.

The only way Rodgers would become vindictive is if the Packers refused to trade him. That isn't going to happen this time around. It doesn't benefit the Packers in anyway to do that. As you have already pointed out, Rodgers is holding a lot more of the cards than he was after last season. The Packers would be stupid to turn down a multi-1st round pick compensation package, and then turn around and release Rodgers.

4. SteelHack

Oct 21, 2011
    They turned it down with Favre and instead took a conditional 3rd... to keep him Statt from the Vikings.... even put a poison pill in the trade that would have the Jets give them 3 first round picks if they trade Favre.

Favre works his way out of New York and finished his career in Minn

As for Rodgers being vindictive...I suppose that depends what the Packers told him last year

HACK

5. MeanJoeBlue

MeanJoeBlue Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2013
    13th for points allowed, which sounds average-ish to me.

If you aren't convinced that points is more important than yards, consider the last 3 times the Patriots won the SB.
    Defense ranking by points: 7, 1, 8
    Defense ranking by yards: 21, 8, 13

(Or if you also want to consider the last two times they didn't win but still made it to the SB:

6. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    8th in T.O works for Me , as Well as 9 th in total yards. Especially since they were better buy half then anything we had , and they ended up winning the same amount of playoff games....0
    Us in the same category I showed of them...16, and 24th. We were 20th in points allowed.

7. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

Jan 1, 2018
    I get the Favre comparisons, but this is a completely different cast of characters. There is no chance of the Packers turning down multiple 1st round picks and then flat out releasing Rodgers.

8. SteelHack

Oct 21, 2011

Is actually not a completly different cast....Aaron Rodgers had a ring side seat when Favre wrote the gameplan on how to get what you want

I get that it is unlikely. But the Packers have what? 10 days to be cap compliant and work out a deal with Adams before free agency starts?

It's not a crazy as some think

HACK

Last edited: Mar 6, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  9. SteelerNole

SteelerNole Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2019
    He’s not going to the Steelers

10. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    What are your thoughts on Rodgers

:drinks:

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  11. 88Unstoppable82

88Unstoppable82 Well-Known Member

May 21, 2021
    My guess is that when all of this is over, it's going to come out that one or more of the teams potentially involved were just included as leverage for either the Packers or Rodgers's camp in this. And should that be the case, my guess is also that the Steelers will likely have been at least one of the teams used as leverage. Why?

If you're Rodgers, of the teams mentioned, which one seems the most likely ready to win it all in what little time he most likely has left? Seems to me it's the Titans. And you know there's no way they're trading Henry at this point in his career, either, so after the roster jumbles are finished from the trade, he'll still have him to hand off to. Pretty sweet setup for him.

If you're the Packers, which team has the most to "realistically" offer you in return? With "realistically" being the team that would be willing to give you some good players and/or picks in return without torpedo-ing their own ship in the process? If I had to rank them, the Steelers wouldn't be first on that list, and given some of Denver's young talent and current draft slot, the Steelers may be last.

Put all of this together, and I'm just not seeing us as being the top choice in either camp.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Well, yeah they'd be stupid to do that. But I seriously doubt that anyone will offer multiple first round picks for Rodgers. It's being reported that there are only the 3 AFC teams that he would agree to go to and that GB won't trade him to an NFC team. So it's really 3 teams bidding against each other. And of those 3 teams, how many are seriously interested. Tennessee already has Tannehill and they've done well with him. And while trading him would free up $10M in cap space, is that $10M worth multiple 1st rounders? I would think that the smart move is to keep and restructure Tannehill. He's 4 years younger.

So that leaves Pittsburgh and Denver. Both teams need a QB. I don't know what Denver is thinking but do you really see Colbert giving up multiple 1st rounders? I don't. That leave Denver....bidding against themselves.

There's just not enough competition to warrant multiple first rounders. I think the trade value for Rodgers is surprisingly low. No way in hell it's multiple 1sts.

**edit**
    And if another team comes in with multiple first rounders to go against Denver, Rodgers can simply reject the deal if he doesn't like the team.
    GB has zero leverage in this deal. Zilch.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. ljkjr74

ljkjr74 Well-Known Member

May 7, 2015
    Mason will start and continue to be our QB. Getting Rogers would be a big mistake for the Steelers. As someone here already said he is he is 40 he we just got rid of a old timer in football terms. He would be a problem for MT who can’t handle the team as it is.

• Like Like x 1
  14. winggin

winggin Well-Blitzed Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I read somewhere it would take 3 first rounders to get him here. If we are going to give up 3 first rounders let's just go for Watson.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Let's not do either.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. OX1947

OX1947 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2017
    Stafford and the Rams say Hi while holding the Lombardi trophy.....

Get ****ing Aaron Rodgers and worry about everything else after that. You don't win titles without taking some risks. Aaron Rodgers has 3 prime years left, he wins at least 1 Super Bowl in those 3 years here. Go ****ing get him. I want to cheer for a Super Bowl contender next year not wait for some miracle that took the Steelers 26 years the last time they puss'd out not drafting Dan Marino.

Steelers have a defense that can be a title defense in this era. Steelers have multiple receivers that can play, an all pro in the making tight end, an all pro in the making at running back. Use the draft to add more offensive lineman and maybe sign a good one in free agency.

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  17. MeanJoeBlue

MeanJoeBlue Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2013
    The Rams are a good example of the uncertainty when getting a QB, and how quickly judgements can change.

After the 3rd season, Goff looked like a certain franchise QB.
    Drafted 1st (recognized talent), in his 2nd and 3rd seasons his record was 24-7, 60 TDs to 19 INTs, with a SB appearance.

Then he winds up traded to Detroit in his 6th year, two years after a massive guaranteed contract extension.

• Like Like x 1
  18. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

Jan 1, 2018
    Some of you guys talk as though Aaron Rodgers is some washed up old bum.

This is the best quarterback in football coming off an MVP season. And you are wondering why Tennessee would want Rodgers over Tannehill?????

19. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Some of you guys are just assigning a value to performance without considering the details of the specific situation. "Aaron Rodgers....MVP and future HOFer....easily worth multiple first rounders." It's not that simple for reasons explained in previous posts. The whole AB trade should've been a lesson. How many people got giddy when they thought that Pittsburgh was going to get multiple firsts for him?

No one is acting like he's a bum. And no one is saying that he's not an improvement over Ryan Tannehill. But what exactly is that improvement? And more importantly, what is the cost to get that improvement? I don't see Tennessee trading that much draft capital by giving up multiple 1sts to improve a team that has been one of the best in the AFC and recently made deep playoff runs with Tannehill.

That's not to say that they won't trade for him. That's not my point. Maybe a single first rounder gets it done? Which honestly, it might because they're only bidding against Denver and Pittsburgh and a single first might be enough. Or maybe a 1st and a later round too? It all depends on what the other teams will do (there's only two others) if they'd even want him at all. Whatever the case, I highly doubt that multiple first is the price. There just simply aren't enough teams in the running. GB has absolutely zero leverage in this situation.

20. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    Green Bay is in a tough spot.
    Rogers carries a high cap hit for a team that is already over the cap (~$27 mil - which they will adjust.)
    They are trying to get a deal done before the deadline tomorrow, which will lessen the cap hit and allow Rogers to finish up in Green Bay.
    If Green Bay and Rogers can't see eye-to-eye, that's going to be a problem.

Pittsburgh is inquiring.
    You can make this trade, and if by wheeling and dealing you could recover some of the damage from making such a move.
    My gut feeling is that Pittsburgh is doing due diligence to assess if they would have enough resources to add weapons and protection for Rogers.
    My gut also tells me that in the long run, they will not belly up to the table.

Since I was on travel for the weekend, I left feeling that:
    Pittsburgh will go with Mason Rudolph and pair up a rookie.
    The QBs in Indy were not bad and I saw some surprises.
    I just don't feel like Pittsburgh is in enough of a position to splurge on potentially 3 years and be able to supply enough blocking and weapons.
    And I think GB will put the blitz on signing Rogers to a longer deal.

Denver also pledges to match any offer which makes for a bidding war, something I can't see Pittsburgh participating in.

I expect that to heat up today/tomorrow. I also think the SF/Jimmy G talks heat up, Washington will likely put some heat on that one.
    I also heard GB say 'not a single call on Rogers' and I know that is incorrect as I know that Washington did call. (at this moment, I 'think' they've called maybe 20-25 teams about QBs.) Maybe he means they aren't offering anything?

Wilson, I doubt goes anywhere.
    I don't that little guy in Arizona goes anywhere either, he's kind of tainted himself lately anyway.

• Like Like x 1
  21. DukeDukeDaDaDa

Sep 24, 2017
    I try to avoid quoting MM when possible but spot on here.

"They are not going to win a Super Bowl with Aaron Rodgers and that’s the only reason to get him,” Madden said. “They are not good enough. They are nowhere close. They haven’t won a playoff game in five years, and suddenly some 38-year-old guy is going to come in — MVP though he may be — and they are going to win a Super Bowl? I don’t think so.”

• Winner Winner x 1
  22. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Wait My Friend. The Rams had 2 of the Top Wrs in the league, 1 of the top CBs, 2 of the top olbs, one of the all time greatest DL man, a top 5 Oline, and was just in the SB....what...3 years ago, and You are trying 2 compare us getting A. Rodgers...to them getting M. Stafford.
    We have the top what?? Olb....that's it??? Maybe a top 10 one Defense line man. It's not comparable. IMO
    People your are not 24 overall in Defense, and 32nd in rushing D because our Defense is great.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  23. DukeDukeDaDaDa

Sep 24, 2017
    And don't forget they almost lost too if the refs decided to swallow their whistles in the closing minutes of the game.

• Winner Winner x 1
  24. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Or if that DB doesn't drop a sure Int at the end of the NFC Championship...they don't even go.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    They are 24th in overall and 32nd vs the run because they lost two of their front 3 to injury/personal issues, tried using 3-4 concepts in thier 2-4-5 sub packages and then had Jerry-O teaching the inside guys to plug the first open gap they see and wave at the running back as they went by. Only thing that helps that is time, training, depth and embracing who they are. Getting Rodgers would just mean they might get more of a breather between series.

• Like Like x 1