1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

if not BA then who?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steel1031, Jan 10, 2012.

1. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Everyone seems set on Tomlin firing Arians. I was wondering who everyone wants to replace him with. I hope people are realistic on their choices. the way I look at it is if a coach has been fired is that someone we want, if a coach has been out of football for a while is that someone we want, or is someone on the staff now that would be better?

2. steelers5859

steelers5859 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I was hoping the Chargers would fire there head coach and we make him the new OC. But that didn't happen. I don't know if Jim Fassel is still in the league or not. He might be a choice. Maybe someone from the college ranks. But the tree will shake and someone should be available. They might go with our quarterback coach but I hope not. I don't think he would hold Ben accountable. Ben does not need a "friend" as a OC. He needs someone to get in his butt every now and then to make sure he's not trying to be a gunslinger. Did anyone see the conversation between Brady and his OC on the sideline a few weeks ago? I don't think Brady gets away with dumb plays.

3. mort159

mort159 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I agree 100%. I like Todd Haley. He is a Pittsburgh guy. His dad was in the organization and he was a water boy in th 70's for the Steelers. He runs a similar offense to what Whiz did. He would definately be able to keep Ben under control.

I believe a lot of of troubles have come from Ben having too much control over what happens offensively. More running would open up the play action passing game which would help our oline out. Also, more passing out of run or neutral formations and early downs would also help them out. I don't think our oline is that bad, i think they are put in a hard spot with predictable play calling and Ben not getting the ball out.

Ben also needs to learn how to read the defense pre snap better and have an idea of where he has advanatges pre snap. He tends to rely too much on moving around. I love that he has that ability, but he could also expand his game.

I was at 3 games this year including the Denver game on Sunday and i see Ben not see a lot of open recievers, where he should know pre snap he will have a match up.

For example...

-He had Cotchery matched up one on one with a nickel in the slot with the safety on the other side of the field over the top of wallace and brown, thus leaving the middle of the field wide open. Cotchery ran a skinney post and beat his guy off the line and was wide open for a TD, but ben held on to the ball, scrambled around and threw incomplete to brown. Forcing us to kick our 2nd fg.
    -He threw way late to Wallace on the catch the was challanged and overturned, bc he didn't recogize the match pre snap and was late to see him. He beat his guy off the line easily.
    -He missed Wallace running open deep late in the game and scrambled and took a sack.

-At the KC game he missed a ton too and after missing Brown late in the game, Brown was visably angry and yelling at Ben.

I dont think Brady, Brees, Manning, Rodgers miss those opportunities very often. He really can use some coaching!

4. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Jim Fassel, really? In other words you would take anyone other than what we have. I think Haley went to pittsburgh west or he was interviewing for a job with them.

5. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
  6. mort159

Nov 14, 2011
    Just saw on NFL network that Haley has not gone anywhere yet. Arizona is interested in him at QB coach and he is interested in them, but if we moved quick, i'm sure he would want to be Oc here over that.

I really hope we make a move soon on someone. A good offensive mind could do a lot of great things with this offense.

7. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Sorry but coaching isn't going to allow Ben to see things more clearly on the field. If it was simply about the coaching, every QB would be good to great. It's not that easy. QB's eventually get it or the don't. Ben never became great at reading defenses on the field. Ben has all of the physical tools to be a great QB. The mental part of Ben's game is what's lacking. After 8 years, I don't believe it's going to get much better regardless of coaching. Coaches usually don't make that much of a difference unless their players are good enough.

8. bigsteelerfaninky

bigsteelerfaninky Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    I don't want him fired I think if our offense stays healthy we are fine with ba

9. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    i tend to agree but with a better mind oc we could still have an improvement with arians he will be going down quickly anyway we could have a clear picture of what we have

10. mort159

Nov 14, 2011
    Yes, Although I believe the Ben from 2004 and 2005 was much better at these things. I thought Whiz did a good job with Ben. Arrians stepped in and let Ben do whatever he wants and has not coached him. I also don't think Ben prepares well throughout the week or else he would be better at pre snap decisions. That is why Ben says things like this the day before a playoff game...

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... rdinators/

I know he isn't going to be Brees, Brady, Manning, or Rodgrs, but i do think there is room for improvement. I mean on some of these plays its pretty obvious where the matchup is.
    A new OC would change things up and our Offense would be more structured which means more dangerous.

11. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    We missed out on the guy I really wanted, Paul Chryst, as he accepted the HC position at PIT-U. Now that the Raiders have fired yet another coach, I'd take a flier on Hue Jackson, assuming that we wouldn't hire from within. Hue turned the Raiders offense into a respectable unit before he became HC, and I think his philosophy would fit well with the talent that we have.

I hate change for the sake of change, but this offense has been mostly lethargic under BA. While I have a strong belief in coaching continuity, something needs to be done at this point, and since our QB isn't going anywhere, I think we should move in a new direction with our coordinator.

BA will not be fired; he'll have to leave.

12. rukus4ever

rukus4ever Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    I think with a better O-Line there is no issue. I think BA is doing a good enough job. I think the players have issues executing.

13. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Good post. I made a similar one in a different thread without as much detail but the same gist about formations and play-action, only to be mocked by either a BA supporter or someone who can't comprehend X and Os or one in the same.You are on point. Some people are just happy that we made the playoffs.They like to say there are 20 other teams that would like to be in our shoes. I don't subscribe to that. I want our team to be the best they can be and I don't feel BA gives us our best chance. (D.R.B.A.I) I think we need a new smily.

14. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    A more athletic, pass-protecting OL WILL help things, no doubt about it. Combine that with a solid attack and we'd be one of the top scoring offenses in the league. Why only upgrade the engine when we can get better tires to go with it?

15. mort159

Nov 14, 2011
    I agree we could afford to upgrade on the oline, but honestly no one can hold up pass blocking for 6-10 seconds with Ben holding onto the ball. They did a decent job run blocking. We need our guys to get in better shape so they dont have injury issues. The starting lineup has been a revolving door for the past couple years.

Thesteeldeal-I hear ya. It's frustrating. What people forget is that Colbert and all the other people in the player/personnel department are some of the best in the business. Therefore we are always set with a very good team. Also, we won our last 2 super bowls with great defense, our offense hasn't been spectacular. I'm happy with where the organization is and has been, but its so hard to watch and think, "Wow, what if we were smart and took advantage of what we have and had some consistency". Honestly, i think the biggest problem with Arrians is his relationship with Ben. He does what Ben wants and not what is best for the team. Ben needs a coach, not a friend/father figure like he refers to BA as.

Sure the team could execute better at times, but wouldn't it be nice to have the coaches help with executing by making it easier on the players by good coaching. Why make it harder than it needs to be.

16. Boomer

Boomer Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2011
  17. Steeldefense08

Steeldefense08 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
  18. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    The bottom line is this offense is not producing at the level it should.It should be so much more efficient but it isn't and it's not all because of the OL.It has more to do with the Ben and BA relationship. As Ben gets older and starts to lose the mobility that makes him so good then what do we have? what we have is a big-play offense that can't get out of it's own way when it's time for Ben to execute from in the pocket. There is still no rythm or identity to this offense and they have had 5 years to figure it out. Enough is enough, it's time to cut the cord. A lot of guys like to say Ben was never good at reading defenses ,he can't be like this guy or that one.The problem is that they have enabled him to continue to play QB with no structure on the offense. They need to bring someone in with a proven track record to implement a system that still enables Ben to be Ben ,but also has an identity. It's definitely not too late to bring out the best in Ben, but the longer we say it is,soon it wil be. As the saying goes " Those who say you can't, shouldn't stand in the way of the one actually doing it " (D.R.B.A.I.)

19. slickster10

slickster10

Oct 23, 2011
  20. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    If the Arians part is indeed true then ladies and gentlemen this marks a sad ,sad day in Steelers history.It will go down in infamy as the day that this organization decided not to strive to be head and shoulders above the rest ,but to just settle for and wallow in mediocrity. I'm really looking forward to the same predictable, play-ground offense we have all grown to love.Lebeau said "come back ready to win a super-bowl" Arians said "come back ready to be 2oth in scoring again". What a joke! I wonder what they are going to do. Mendy has a long road back.Redman showed what he is capable of so Arians will probably look to get rid of him because you know the last thing we want is an effective running game. He got rid of the full- backs maybe he'll just get rid of the tail-backs too. There's a new definition to the word :INSANITY: Arians coming back :bscow:

21. FeartheBeard

FeartheBeard Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
  22. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011

While the article does say they will be back it is a little short on facts. The only thing i read there is that Lebeau intends to be back because of his statements to the players. However nthing really difinite in any way seems more like speculation. Still a good possibility no changes are made.

23. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
  24. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    What pisses me off is that they didnt take the time to make an informative decision.How much could have been discussed in a few short days.At least make the guy sweat a little, but then again he is so clueless, he doesn't see anything wrong. I'll say it once again Tomlin knows nothing about the O side of the ball he's afraid to make the tough decision because he doesn't know any better. I don't know why he keeps on hitching his cart to that broken -down blinder wearing horse. As far as I'm concerned another season of watching yet another excuse making ,underachieving offense and they both can go. I like Tomlin too but his decision making both on and off the field is really starting to make me question his abilities.

25. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    finally :thumbs_up: