1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

IF McDonald can stay healthy...look out

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Watt Wack, Jun 30, 2018.

1. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    First, see what Wack Watt wrote. This is a completely different situation from Green's.

Second, you are dead wrong on this one. He's the starting tight end. What he did last year was prove himself to be the team's best blocking tight end and he did catch 10 passes in a playoff game. I get that you don't think much of the guy, but clearly the coaching staff disagrees with you.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    First off, calling Vance Mcdonald the teams "starting tight end" is inaccurate. Jesse James started 14 of 16 games last season.

2nd off, I never said I dont think much of the guy. I actually think having a healthy Vance McDonald would be huge. Besides some questionable hands at times the guy is a freak.

My point is he has been available to play very sporadically over the course of his career. if he ends up missing a large part of the pre-season he may not be a lock to make the club. I guess we will have to wait and see.

3. MattyMo9

MattyMo9 Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2017
    Wether or not he makes the team doesn’t really matter. Guy is a porcelain doll that will undoubtedly be injured.

4. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    McDonald started seven of the 10 regular season games in which he played. There were games they both started last season. When the season was on the line, in the playoff game, McDonald was the starter. It is absolutely accurate to say he is the starter.

McDonald is their best option at tight end. He's not getting cut even if he misses a big chunk of the preseason.

5. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    No. Its completely inaccurate. Like I said. Jesse James started 14 of 16 games. You can call Vance the starter all you want. Dosent make it true.

The Steelers do a great job, utilizing both these guys at what they do best. James is a far better safety valve, and a far better clutch receiver. Vance is a faster more athletic player who can stretch the middle of the field. Hes definitely the better blocker of the two. Steelers used a committee approach in how they used their tight ends last year. I assume they will do the same this year. Im not sure why its so important for you to call one the "starter". Your doing it to drive your point home. I would imagine that the first one to start each game will depend largely on which play is called first, and who they want in for that play.