1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

IF McDonald can stay healthy...look out

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Watt Wack, Jun 30, 2018.

1. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    This will be James last year

2. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    21 games missed in the past 4 years.

Damn he averages nearly 1/3 games missed a season lol

3. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    You are negative. Unlike much of what you post, his negativity regarding James is rooted in reality. James is a No. 2 tight end. He works well in that role. He is not a good enough blocker to be a starter.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Cobalt7

Cobalt7 Active Member

Jul 27, 2018
    I like McDonald. He is going into his 5th year as an NFL pro and I hope will play like it. His injury background and propensity for it, were all in front of Colbert when he gave up a 4th round pick in the Frisco trade. This guy may make an offensive impact but it probably won't be receiving. He must be a proficient blocker & that takes us back to his injury history. I wish him well & hope he can be fit enough to play the entire season.

• Like Like x 1
  5. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Wrong. My negativity is rooted in reality. You can't handle the truth.

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. Watt Wack

Watt Wack Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2017
    Ouchie, oochie, someone got kicked in the poochie. :lolol:

• Like Like x 1
  7. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Your grasp on reality is failing you, Chicken Little. Hell, I'm a pessimist by nature and by comparison with you, I seem like the Pittsburgh equivalent of License Plate Guy.

(Sorry. Most of you is won't get that reference. License Plate Guy is a Giants fan who goes to games with a series of license plates hanging from his neck. He also predicts they will win every game by 50.)

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  8. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    What the hell are you referring to? My prediction for overall record being anywhere from a 6-10 floor to 10-6 ceiling? The Patriots owning the Steelers since 2001? Tomlin's lack of in game adjustments and refusal to fire coaches that need to be fired? The porous, wet-napkin defense that can't tackle? All of this is rooted in reality.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  10. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    You are assuming the absolute worst in all things. The problem with the Patriots, the porous defense and the lack of in-game adjustments were all there when the team went 13-3 last season. It's not the facts that are your problem, it is your analysis that has made you into our very own Chicken Little.

The prediction is just that, an opinion based as much in your overwhelming pessimism as reality.

The Steelers have made three Super Bowls during that era of failure against the Patriots.

The defense will absolutely continue to miss Shazier, but the changes at safety, addition of Bostic and possible return to health by two thirds of the defensive line could at least bring them back to mediocrity on that side of the ball.

If you are talking about firing Butler, I agree with you on that and the lack of in-game adjustments.

That said, this burst of optimism on my side is just too disturbing to my equilibrium. You are more than welcome to continue to scream about the falling sky, but you should be used to a little needling about it by now.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 2
  11. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Here it comes... But they didn't face New England in those 3 trips to the bowl in 3... 2... 1.... Hahahahahahahaha

• Like Like x 1
  12. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I was waiting for that, too. I'll save him the time because it helps make my point. Those are three seasons the Patriots didn't stop the Steelers from getting to the Super Bowl. There are times some other team will take out the Patriots and it wasn't New England that kept Pittsburgh out of the Super Bowl last season.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Well ****... Those other teams weren't as capable as Pitt or excuse me Tomlin wasn't as capable (I've agreed on that point quite a bit) as their coaches. Damnit scribe were gonna have to do this **** all over again! Thanks a pant load brother! Hahahahaha

14. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Tunch and Wolfe are saying Jesse James looks like a much better blocker this camp.

I expect a really good year from him.

15. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    [​IMG]

McDonald left Sunday's practice with a foot injury, Ray Fittipaldo of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reports.

The extent of McDonald's injury isn't clear, though there haven't been any reports that the tight end is dealing with anything severe. In any case, Xavier Grimble should temporarily see an increase in first-team reps alongside Jesse James, who is competing with McDonald for the No. 1 role.

16. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    it's getting to the point where he plays 1 game and is out for 3 lol

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    Vance still not practicing. If this lingers I wonder if he gets cut. Why keep paying a guy who can't stay on the field. What's the over under on games Vance plays in this year? 8?

18. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    I think it’s precautionary meaning if it’s the regular season he would be playing. Not promising though lol

19. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Exactly. He's not getting cut.

20. Watt Wack

Jul 29, 2017
    Word out of camp is JJ is stronger and blocking much better this camp; we shall see if it translates to the real games.

21. D0bre Shunka

D0bre Shunka Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012
    No NFL guru but there's two things I don't want our receiving staff having to teach:
    The First, How to catch and the second, where to catch.

Answer to the first, of course, is with your hands
    And the second, on the field and not the sideline.

22. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

Jan 1, 2018
    Really? So if Vance misses most of this pre-season your saying there is zero chance he gets cut? Even with his salary? Its all speculative but Vance better find a way back on to he field. Cant make the club in the tub.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2018
  23. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    He is the starting tight end and he showed, when healthy, he is clearly better than James. They traded for him a year ago because they didn't think James or Grimble was good enough to start. The built this year's team expecting to pay McDonald's salary, so yes, I expect them to wait on his return. You are acting as if he is some fringe player fighting for one of the last two or three spots on the roster. That isn't the case.

24. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

Jan 1, 2018
    It is exactly the case. What has Vance done since he has been here? Exactly the same thing he did in San Fran. Be injured. If he's rarely going to be on the field we might as well see if Ladarius Green is available. He wasn't a fringe player either. How'd that work out?

25. Watt Wack

Jul 29, 2017
    Well, to be fair, Green was concussion-shot, meaning, he was to the point to where if the winds blows, he got concussed. Once you are in that condition your career is over. Of course, our front office missed that one badly. VM has had a garden variety of injuries, not just concussion-based, so there is hope.