1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

IF Lebeau were to retire...

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Ender, Jan 4, 2015.

1. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
    who (besides BFT) would be opposed to Rex Ryan as defensive coordinator?

2. contract

contract Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2014
    I would be opposed. So would Rex apparently. Word is that he either gets a head coaching gig, or he heads to TV job.

3. lewisha

lewisha Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Yeah, looking like might be a Falcon HC.

4. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    I would have a hard time getting used to it, but he'd be a hell of a DC. I did hear earlier that he's got a lot of suitors for another head coaching gig, though.

5. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I would welcome Rex here in a second but I really think the job goes to Butler.

6. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    And watching our LBs the past 5-6 years, James Harrison notwithstanding, I don't understand why.

7. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    If we were to hire him as the DC, you think he brings Foote back? :)

8. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    If Lebeau retires, I want new blood. Not "next man up" to run the same tired scheme.

9. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    For the record, I don't think LeBeau is going anywhere.

10. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Have to give him a faire shake, you don't know that. I'm sure he has his own ideas an schemes he wants to implement, I know I would if I got an opportunity to prove myself, going to put my own stamp on things. Given the A type personalities of coaches, I'm pretty sure Butler will too.

11. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    I'd be ok with that, IF that is what happened. (And he got results)

But again, I don' want a caretaker running a 20+ year old scheme.

Frankly, with what Carnell Lake was able to do with a secondary filled with nothing but other team's cast offs, I'd be curious what thoughts he had...

12. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    LOL! My disdain for the most losing coach in football since 2012 is well documented. IF Dick is gone, which I don't think he is, the guy that I would about kill for is Dan Quinn in Seattle. He will probably be a HC next year anyway and besides I'm sure he wouldn't leave there to come here. But I can tell you if he did the cushion would instantly go the way of the dinosaur and I would shout from the rooftops for it too.

13. steelers5859

steelers5859 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Exactly. Look how the Ravens design their blitzes. We never have a free runner. We need someone with some ingenuity. Like people have said before they know where the blazes are coming when they play us.

14. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    It's hard for me to say that it's the scheme when just a few years ago it was working beautifully. I think the general rule of the NFL is that it ultimately boils down to personnel and we are certainly lacking in that department.

15. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
    Too true. If we had Suggs and Dumervil or the two OLB from KC, DL would still look like a genius. We got little from Worilds and less from Jarvis this year.

16. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    Oh, come on. How many opposing teams have to say they know our D inside out before WE believe it???

How many soft ass cushions do we need to see?

How many ineffective blitzes?

How many 3rd and long conversions?

How many gouges on the ground?

Let's face it, the chinks in the armor were showing as far back as 2008. We had a true superstar D then, and that's the only reason it didn't crumble. Still almost managed to give the SB away.

17. D0bre Shunka

D0bre Shunka Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012
    What makes Ryan a better DC option over DL?

18. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    Footwork?

19. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    [h=2]IF Lebeau were to retire..[/h]
    I would celebrate until I turned green from alcohol poisoning

20. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    There's nothing new under the sun and really you hear that stuff all over the league. Like when people are calling games and a blitz is dialed up on a vet qb and the announcer will say "you're not gonna show him anything he hasn't seen". I think that no matter what it all boils down to execution and having the guys that can do it. Don't get me wrong though. I DESPISE that cushion and I mean BADLY but it is really a result of personnel as well. When you look back at our recent great defenses they didn't play off of anyone but now that we are older, slower, and even dumber in some ways, we have to give that cushion to keep from giving up the big play. If we had better personnel that wouldn't be the case. I just think the NFL is a lot about personnel and execution. There are cases though where a new coach can come in and change things up for the better. As much as I hate to say it, I'd say that's what Harbaugh did with Singletary's guys.

21. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    I think I'd rather some significant modifications to the existing scheme, rather than an entirely new system that takes 2-3 years to get into place.

22. Ben There

Ben There Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    I would be opposed. rex ryan is not someone I would want on The Steelers sideline!
    :steelflag:

23. steelers5859

steelers5859 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I want anyone that can restore us back to Blitzburgh. If it's Ryan, so be it.

24. dominilate

dominilate Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Dick Lebeau is NOT going anywhere, let me repeat that Dick Lebeau is not going anywhere. We have won with Lebeau's schemes, we have been a top 5 defense numerous times under DL. It is ALL about personnel. A legitimate pass rusher and NT, make all the difference in our scheme.

For or the record Rex's scheme has faults as well. He needs DB's who are cover corners to enact his exotic blitzes. I live in NJ and the biggest problem with Rex's Defensive scheme is that it leaves too many one on one unfavorable match ups

25. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    For some strange reason it seems that Steelers fans have this notion that a new DC will result in a 2-3 year learning curve. That's not true. The players would pick it up in the off-season and be ready to go come week 1. It doesn't take 2-3 years to learn a system. Plenty of new coaches go into teams and have success right away.