1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

If defense sucked, would you still be wanting fields?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Mashburn, Sep 24, 2024.

1. Yes

13 vote(s)
    76.5%
  2. No

4 vote(s)
    23.5%
  1. Mashburn

Mashburn Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2021
    I'm curious if we would have lost the first 3 games due to defense, would you still like fields?

Screenshot_20240924_052606_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20240924_052606_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20240924_052704_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20240924_053046_Chrome.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  2. Mashburn

Mashburn Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2021
    Also, do you think wilson could be better?

3. TWISTER

TWISTER Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    This topic makes no sense at all. I mean if a Defense sucks does it matter who is QB. Take a look at the Bengals and Burrow.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Winner Winner x 5
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  4. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    we also now may be leaning on a 34 year old RB.

this week will test the OC and QB and o-line as well as the defense.
    :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016
    This question makes no sense since the steelers talent is on defense...I mean they have by far the biggest payroll in defense in the NFL, so it's normal it's their strength

For the QBR, it means nothing...Trubisky had finished top 5 in this stats in 2018 even if he was trash.And just look who is one spot ahead of Fields....

• Agree Agree x 4
  6. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    I scrolled up to check and saw that just ahead of Fields was Justin Fields

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Weird stats- Taylor Heinicke had a rating of 116.7 on Sunday. He had a QBR of 5.9.

8. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    The stat that matters is 3-0 :shrug:. However you need to get there. Use the strengths and talent you've got, have a gameplan, adjust to what the other team is doing. I have to give Tomlin props for what we are seeing so far. Did I just say that???

• Like x 7
    • Winner x 3
    • Agree x 2
    • Hilarious x 2
    • Very Optimistic x 1
  9. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    stupid question

it is a TEAM game, about wins and losses and the RIGHT FORMULA.

we have something cooking now.

• Like Like x 2
  10. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

childish Question

11. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Look closer. Patrick Mahomes is just ahead of Fields, which is a good reminder that QBR is useless.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Winner Winner x 2
  12. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    What matters to me most is both the proficiency and fluidity of the Offense. Neither terms were ever existent with Matt Canada... at all. That however isn't the point.

Justin Fields isn't being asked to be Clark Kent; nor should he. What Mike Tomlin and Arthur are doing is recalibrating Fields to understand how specifically the QB position is played; something that should have been in continual development at Chicago but never happened. Now that it is, Justin Fields Is playing, by far, the best he ever has since his days at Ohio State for the Steelers are reinforcing the importance of how the position is played.

In short?! Justin Fields isn't even close to what he can be right now for he is essentially undergoing a "Factory Reset". Once he puts it all together, then the discussion of if he performs enough should be asked.

• Like Like x 7
  13. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Yeah. Would Chiefs fans still want Mahomes if their defense wasn’t good?

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    I don’t want him to get a factory reset. I want a series of software updates.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    i'm sure not throwing russell under the bus yet. it's a long season. enjoy the wins right now. the games will get increasingly harder. many teams are dealing with injuries. we have to get 5 starters up front and keep them healthy. we have to not expect fields to be lamar jackson. the WR's have to keep producing. it's not about one aspect doing it all. this team has been built to use every part to produce wins, ugly or not. they have to stay on schedule during games. so far we have. :cool:

• Like Like x 3
  16. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011

no. they should send him here. :smiley1::cool:

• Winner Winner x 1
  17. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    For a conditional 6th/4th round pick?

18. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    yes we should get mahomes and a 4th and 6th. i agree. make it happen. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    At least TJ Watt would start getting all those Holding calls that seem to not matter. Flags would be flying from every corner of the field. Our secondary could even mug receivers with no penalties.

• Winner Winner x 1
  20. jeh1856

jeh1856 Just chilling

Oct 26, 2011
    Not injured

And that is reality

21. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    If the Queen had balls she'd be king.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  22. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    This poll is not even worth voting for.

• Agree Agree x 3
  23. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

and if your mother had a beard, she'd be your father

and, if ifs and buts were candy and nuts, we'd have a Merry Christmas all year long!!

• Like Like x 1
  24. Steelresolve

Steelresolve Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2022
    Its not a fair or realistic question at all. If the defense sucked I’m not sure he would even be the type of Qb we would seek to employ. In addition if the defense sucked, I highly doubt the offense wouldn’t have more play makers then to support him because all of the money spent on defense would obviously be spent on offensive playmakers then. I would have much bigger questions for Tomlin then ... how could the defense suck if we are spending all that money on the defense?

The one thing I have learned over the last few years is that coaching matters. It matters more than we realize. Look at how many QB’s have foundered for years on different teams and in different systems only to end up thriving once they get under the right coaching and a system that fits them. Baker Mayfield and Sam Darnold are just two examples of that. All of these guys are elite talents with premium physical abilities. So much of this is about coaching and cultivating that talent.

Look at what the guy in Greenbay has done with multiple QB’s now. Malik Willis was a mess in Tennessee. Now look at him. Sure there are supreme talents that transcend coaching and systems, but more often than not it really does come down to the right fit and the coach having the acumen to fit his system around his QB’s talents.

With that being said I think Russ could thrive here as well. But if the opportunity to trade him for good draft capital exists and he can go to Miami and thrive I am all for that. My support of Justin Fields honestly has to do with having more trust in Arthur Smith than it does Fields.

In addition ... reread your question. The answer is in your question. If we would have lost the first three games due to DEFENSE? So if our defense was bad and we lost because of our defense then how could you blame those losses on Fields? The Dallas Cowboys are playing terrible defense and their run offense isn’t good either. They just paid Zak and CeeDee alot of money and extended them. Because they aren’t winning games because of their defense and run offense should they get rid of Zak and CeeDee? In fact they are more culpable for their teams losses because they are getting paid alot the team can’t spend money elsewhere. The expectation is higher on them as a result.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2024
    • Agree Agree x 1
  25. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

coaching matters MUCH more that most fans realize, that is a good epiphany you have had. Not sure how old you are, I am late 50's. Have had the pleasure of stewing on this since I was about 10 years old. It makes all the difference in the difference in the world. It also translates over to the corporate world and the world of politics

Coaching and player / personnel decisions.

I agree too that Russ could be OK here, in this offense. He would have been the starter, but for the camp injury. Now, that ship appears to have sailed.

We ALL want the best for our team. Right now, we might be seeing it. With Russ as a SOLID back up, that is pretty amazing right now, should he get healthy.

• Like Like x 2