1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

If Arians leaves Ben goes with him.

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by jsteelers077, Jan 9, 2012.

1. jsteelers077

jsteelers077 Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    I will bet anything that if we fire arians Ben request a trade. If he leaves to coach some place Ben request a trade. And the reason Ben likes him so much is he lets him do what Ben wants to do.

2. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    Nah. Not buying it.

Arians may very well retire. He's admitted considering it as recently as last year. What's Ben going to do? Retire with him?

3. 12to88

12to88 Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2011
    It's becoming increasingly apparent to many of us that Ben likes Bruce because Bruce won't coach him.

4. NDsteelerfan

NDsteelerfan Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    If that's the way it has to be. At this point I just want a change somewhere

5. BLACKnGOLDsince72

BLACKnGOLDsince72 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I don't think that happens but when Arians is gone I think Ben will struggle a good bit. Maybe even to the point of having to be benched. Some on here feel a new OC will be the 2nd coming of the Lord. The clouds will part and the Steelers will run to superbowl glory every year. Guess what. Ben's not Brady, Breeze or Rogers. His game is improv. He's not a precision timing 3 step drop type of passer. When you try and force fit him in to that kind of system it's going to be very difficult. Maybe he'll adjust or maybe he won't but the real question is will Steeler fans have enough patience for that adjustment to take place ? Given the reaction on this board to yesterday's game I'd say no. :lolol:

6. BLACKnGOLDsince72

BLACKnGOLDsince72 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    You mean like "Change we can believe in" ? Sometimes that don't work out so good either ;)

7. diehardsteel

diehardsteel Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    If your assumption is correct, then that is is our problem with this offense. When friendship crosses that line and a player is no longer coachable because he's too close to his coach, the system becomes dysfunctional and no longer works. Is there any other coach/quarterback combo in the NFL that borders on that? Not that I can tell. Maybe Ben married the wrong person last summer. :thumbsdown:

8. RobertoC#21

RobertoC#21 Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2011
    The problem is that Arians has free reign on the offense. Thats Tomlins fault. Tomlins needs to be more involved in the game plan , he needs to understand the game plan and he needs to control the offensive coordinator. I am sorry but passing 40-50 times with a QB on one leg is just so stupid. The owner warned them to run more and run better. They havent done either. Someone needs to go, if Tomlin cant manage his coordinators, then we need someone who can, If Arians wont listen to the head coach, then he needs to go. I dont care what Ben wants. I dont care if Ben wants to put up numbers like Brees , Brady and Rodgers. I ( we ) want wins and trophies. Control the coaches, control the players, execute the game plan and adjust if necessary. BA thinks if he tries one running play that only gets a yard, then the running attack wont work or isnt working and its time to chuck the ball all over the lot.I think if we became more balanced the WR's numbers would sky rocket because teams would have to respect the running game.
    I hate the empty backfield set when its 3rd and 5 or 2nd and 2 , whatever the case may be, its stupid because that does 2 things for the defense. First it allows them to tee off on the pass rush as a run is not possible, second it tells the secondary that a pass is coming. Takes away half the elements. Its stupid and only works on the sandlot...BA must be trying to live out his sandlot childhood where he was probably never picked to play or always plicked last.

9. VA_Black&Gold

VA_Black&Gold Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I actually thought Ben looked pretty good last night for being semi-hobbled (and aside from him limping after the sack, I sure didn't see him doing it all that much otherwise). Overall, I'd say he actually did step up his game last night, and it's our receivers to didn't fulfill their end of the deal. There were a LOT of dropped balls. I also think, for once, I was pretty pleased with the running game. Redman is effective when he holds on to the ball and he had some nice breaks for yardage last night.

I don't disagree that Tomlin needs to find some answers because our old game plan doesn't work anymore, and has accountability for doing so, but there was plenty of blame to go around all season on this team. Our wins weren't pretty, we struggled consistently with our usual, predictable game plan because people know how to beat us. What we need is some fresh takes on how we motivate this team and function in a new, less predictable way. I'm not sure that equates to changes in coaching staff (and we can call for it as much as we want, the Steelers don't dump coaches lightly), but it does mean we have got to figure out how to adapt to a league that is completely different than it was when we put the Steel Curtain in place to start with. I also think we're focusing too much on the "player of the day". We have so many solid receivers, for example, and yet in any given game we only see them call on one or two.

It's certainly time for changes to be made, but I'm not sure that the actual players and coaches are where to start. I say it's the playbook.

10. snipit73

snipit73

Oct 23, 2011
    I say "SO WHAT" Don't let the door hit ya in the Arse! :butcher:

11. 7+83=7

7+83=7 Active Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Ben has become to predictable even in hurry up. With 1:21 on the clock he made 2 good completions...but still did not snap the ball either time until there was 1 second left on the play clock...now we have 36 seconds left.. just as Troy times these play clocks..others do the same to Ben and cause fumbles,sacks,and int's. I know Ben's history but in hurry up there has been to much motion and wasted clock

12. VA_Black&Gold

VA_Black&Gold Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Agreed, and this was especially problematic with Legursky in for Pouncey. Our clock management last night was sloppy and hurt us.

13. lovembig

lovembig Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2011
    what is wrong with you people? Ben is a top qb in this league and too many of you think you have your finger on the pulse of what is going on in the lockerroom of this team.

Ben isnt going anywhere and if he does i hope you guys are ready for another long stretch of futility and no rings. there are about 25 other teams that would love to have Ben as their qb, but some of you guys want to ship him out.

i would love to see you guys go out there and play with a broken thumb and a bad ankle and do better. you guys just sit there and be the arm chair qb's you guys are and please dont apply for any front office job with the Steelers.

14. bettissb40

bettissb40 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Ben is a good QB but he is also a accident waiting to happen. He keeps getting all these injuries he will not be worth anything to anybody.

15. FeartheBeard

FeartheBeard Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011

Okay, now I will agree Ben gets hurt alot but that mostly has to do with a half a** OL his entire career.....

I do not want Arians back but I would be really pissed if we lost Ben.

16. snipit73

snipit73

Oct 23, 2011
    I really don't wanna lose him either but someone has to take that "FREE REIGN" away from him

Let Ben be Ben? :bs:

17. FeartheBeard

FeartheBeard Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    True. There were times he thought he needed to be the leader and it actually ended up killing us. The San Fran game is a perfect example. If Tomlin can tell Clark to sit in Denver then he should have been able to sit Ben in San Fran.

18. rukus4ever

rukus4ever Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    This should apply for all players. Not just Ben. So, I feel the same way when people want to "arm chair" about Mendenhall, Tomlin, BA, Gay, etc.

It can't apply to Ben, only.

19. rukus4ever

rukus4ever Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    The issue is that Ben can only do his "Ben" thing at 100%. He has to be fully mobile so he can scramble and make completions on extended, broken plays. If he is left to just sit in the pocket he loses about 50% of his effectiveness.

I'm not saying he should leave, or stay. I'm just saying everyone needs to be ready for some inconsistency at QB until he: 1) changes his game or 2) retires/leaves.

Because, with the O-Line we have, Ben will get hit, hurt, and gimped. And once he's gimped, he doesn't help the team, as much.

Now, last night, the team put up 23 points. And LeBeau and the Defense should know that's about the limit for the Offense so they have to hold opposing teams to around 14-17 points. Ben can talk about the Offense's "potential" until he's blue in the face. All I see is an offense with a ton of weapons, but will only put up about 24 points on a good day.

We need to accept that the offense is what the offense is until they prove otherwise. So, the Steelers need to: A) Get the offense to realize all this potential they keep talking about, or B) Ramp the defense back up to hold opposing teams' scoring below what the Steelers offense can do.

20. sjromano

sjromano Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    I don't believe for a second that Ben requests a trade if BA gets canned (or leaves, whichever). Ben has never been the type of "it's all about me" player. He wants wins, he wants SB rings - not stats. While it may be easy for him to say he wants BA now, there's no way he wants out if BA leaves. He'll just go back to doing what it takes to win games.

21. Cru Jones

Cru Jones Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Goes where? To Georgia to retire? I highly doubt Arians coaches for another team, he was ready to retire last year. Its either coaching for the Steeelers or retirement for Arians.

22. NDsteelerfan

NDsteelerfan Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    So.....your saying u are 100 percent satisfied in the direction the team has been going in the last few years? Ok

23. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Ben wouldn't request a trade he would just pout. Ben needs to be reigned in a little here. Ben got it done in 2008 being the gun slinger, but for long term success you need to change the way this offense plays.... in 2 or 3 years Ben scrambling ability is going to seriously drop off.

24. mdbates2

mdbates2 Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    Anyone remember what fans were saying about Bradshaw/Noll in the two years between SB X and SB XIII? Bradshaw was "done" - washed up - time to bring on Kruschek (sp?). To Noll - fans were saying that the game had passed him by - he didn't have control - wasn't connected, etc.

History repeats - and repeats and repeats.

All will be well. We have the tools to continue our run - with improvements of course.

25. one4theotherthumb

one4theotherthumb Active Member

Oct 30, 2011
    Why:

Can a Green Bay back up QB hang 500 yards on an above average Lions D and our system is so dependent on Ben being at 100%
    Can a Green Bay offense be considered a passing offense while employing a full-time FB and we don't feel the need to have a FB on the roster.
    Our WRs run 20 yards route every play except for the dreaded bubble screen.
    Antonio Brown - love having him on our team - have to stand up and go through the first down celebration when we are in a hurry up offense. Just get back to the line.