1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Identity Crisis!!!!

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by STEELWARRIOR, Oct 17, 2016.

1. STEELWARRIOR

STEELWARRIOR Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Injuries are one thing that's keeping this team from reaching and achieving it's potential with all the talent it has "Loaded". The Steelers Defenses have always had an identity!!! to match the intensity of its players. Hence... The Steel Curtain, The Steel Curtain II, etc. etc. This team lacks one they need an Identity!!! who is this edition of the Pittsburgh Steelers? Who do they want to be remembered as???? Your thoughts!!!!!

2. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Yesterday during the game Solomon Wilcotts referred to us as the Steel Curtain and I was just like "Dude...don't do that again..." We are DEFINITELY not THAT defense and honestly I only consider that defense to be that defense. That nickname is reserved strictly for that era in my mind.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
    Yep, I noticed that, too. We're back to the "Swiss Cheese Curtain" if anything,

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. SteelersForLife

SteelersForLife Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2016
    The deep ball threat + the shifty Bell

5. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011

How about the steel wool curtain

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  6. tangofoxwhiskey

tangofoxwhiskey Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2015
    Last season, I called them the Chinese Pot Metal Curtain.

7. 12to88

12to88 Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2011
    Tomlin was a Tampa-2 guru.

He came to Pittsburgh and, instead of molding the team to meet his philosophy, he has tried to mold himself to meet the Steelers.

And that, ladies and gentleman, is why this team has no identity.

8. RPO IZSB

RPO IZSB Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2015
    11th in total defense
    9th in total offense

:crisis:

9. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    That may have been true early on, and that ladies and gentlemen, is why we won Super Bowl XLIII. I'll take it. :D

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    If this team has an identity crisis after just two lossess... then I am not seeing it.

Furthermore, this team is simply undergunned at the moment with all these injuries piling up.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I don't mind getting beat by a more talented if the effort and preperation are there, unfortunately against
    some of these teams the effort and prep is just not there. We lack heart and passion. Motivate coach T

12. RPO IZSB

RPO IZSB Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2015
    It's just a fan argument for being unable to explain what actually happened in a game in any detail.

It's understandable. It takes time to go back and break down plays. It's simply easier to use blanket platitudes to explain away losses.

Where do you see a lack of heart/passion? You probably see it in 200 rushing yards against. while I see Matthees getting leveraged out of his gap snap after snap, Burns taking bad angles and using bad form, Vince lack of lateral agility, etc.

It's got nothing to do with heart/passion/Being prepared/etc. it has everything to do with bad execution for too many lower tier players being forced to start.

Ben came back with a torn meniscus, Timmons tried to fill his gap while vomiting, Mitchell came back from injury, Etc

I don't question this teams heart at all. I recognize their limits when forced to play backups and rookies all over the field.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    This isn't college a HC doesn't need to motivate these players they are highly paid professionals.

14. SteelersForLife

SteelersForLife Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2016
  15. darcrav

darcrav Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2012
    so we're saying

our teams identity is

THE STILL UNCERTAIN

• Like Like x 1
  16. darcrav

Jun 16, 2012
    Aaron Burr?

17. darcrav

Jun 16, 2012
    a coach for the Patriots!!!!!

18. darcrav

Jun 16, 2012
    My pal

19. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    Alexander Hamilton.

20. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
    Jacki Chan?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Informative Informative x 1
  21. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
  22. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011

Who's job is it to get the players to execute properly? Prepare, motivate and win with passion. I will take a passionate ball
    player with less talent all day. AND WIN. Your right,most people do not have time to break down film, me included. But I trust
    what my eyes have saw from the Mike Tomlin era.

23. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Your eyes are playing tricks on you.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  24. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    One example I can think of of where I think coaching was the ultimate difference, and it totally kills me to say it, was in San Fran a few years ago. Harbaugh takes a disaster of a team that had 2 Pro Bowlers on it and cleans house on the staff and the next year takes pretty much the same team and turns them in to a serious contender with 9 pro bowlers. Then he can't get along with the FO so they let him go and then they go back to being bottom feeders again. Do players have to execute? Yes. Do coaches play a part in that? Yes. Do I need to sit in my parent's basement and watch film to understand that? No. I'm sure Mike Singletary watched more film than all the keyboard warriors combined but it didn't translate to results for his team. I'm not saying I think Tomlin is bad though. I think he has made good hires that have made a difference. Munchak and Haley are good examples of it. Ben is more efficient under Haley. AB is a stat machine. Bell is used in creative ways and has emerged as the best back in the league. The o line, that used to give us all nightmares, has become a solid unit that is really dependable when healthy. Although I also think Haley's scheme has helped them too. Richard Mann is another example of a good hire. My biggest complain during the Tomlin years has been inconsistency. Week in and week out we find ourselves wondering what team is gonna show up. I don't know whose "fault" that is but Mike Tomlin is not a perfect coach and it's perfectly fine to criticize him regardless of what internet fanboys tell you. It's funny that when we lay an egg Tomlin will say he accepts responsibility for it but he must be a liar because according to some fanboys it's never his fault. LOL!

25. DwarfToss

DwarfToss Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2016
    They *want* to be a defense that can rush the passer with 4 guys. Clearly Tomlin's Tampa-2 philosophy coming through here.

Problem is, they don't have the guys, at least not the ones they're playing. 2 DL and two impotent OLBs won't cut it all year. They need a bigger front four who can push the pocket, and/or they need to blitz more.

If in week 17 they're still saying that Moats and JJ just need to start winning one-on-one matchups, we're in big trouble.