1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

I'd really like to know whose idea it was for our defense to play zone.

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steeler guru, Jan 22, 2017.

1. steeler guru

steeler guru Well-Known Member

Feb 28, 2015
    That was the worst defensive scheming I've ever seen the Steelers play.

The secondary looked lost. Brady can pick apart a zone in his sleep.

The advantage was ours in a man scheme. Especially with Gronk out.

Somebody owes Steeler Nation an explanation concerning the "bonehead decision" to play zone.

I suspect Carnell Lake, but Butler could have made that call, or it could have been ordered by Tomlin.

On the flip-side the Pats camouflaged their defense so well that you couldn't tell what their coverage was going to be until the snap of the ball, a la Dick LeBeau.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. doubleyoi

doubleyoi

Apr 26, 2012
    bend but don't break was shattered

brady career and franchise record yardage

way too vanilla IMO

3. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    They did look lost in the zone they were playing. That's what their offense does to a zone. Makes it hard to read and react.

They played right into it. Disrupt the routes and some of those rushes get home earlier. You have Amendola on Harrison and you don't have Harrison blast him off the line?

4. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    We don't live in our fears. Why change anything when we don't live within our fears.

5. fer69

fer69 Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2016
    Can't wait fo hear what mike has to say about it

6. steeler guru

steeler guru Well-Known Member

Feb 28, 2015
    A young secondary can't play zone, they come apart at the seams.

Boy would i like to know who made the decision to play zone !!!

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. MadtownDruankard

MadtownDruankard Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2015
    I'm assuming the idea was we had to get pressure. Which of course we did not do at all. We were owned on the LOS which basically decided the game.

8. lamberts lunatic

lamberts lunatic Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    You cant pressure with 3 guys and zone coverage

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Dick Lebeau used to do the same thing. Was Butler sleeping when Brady used to do the same thing to DL? Brady even went on record saying he loves playing against the steelers zone coverage and we still do it? Bye to Butler and Haley. .no qb sneak on the 1 yard line?

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. lamberts lunatic

lamberts lunatic Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Really no QB sneak at 1 yard line? Big baby.

11. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Sorry guru, couldn't win one for ya

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. DSteelerCT

DSteelerCT Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2011
    Really they just sucked tonight, maybe the stage was too big. I hate the zone D, but their first two TD they burned our safety. THAT'S NOT SUPPOSED TO HAPPEN!!!

13. SteelerEmpire

SteelerEmpire Well-Known Member

Aug 30, 2015
    Notice how they almost never interview the DC or OC after loses, only the HC and players. Must be nice

14. STEELWARRIOR

STEELWARRIOR Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Don't know, but after the Falcons spank the Cheats it's gonna be nice. They can't hang with them!!!

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I think it was a bend don't break philosophy with emphasis on making sure the young guys weren't picked on but just the opposite happened.

16. Kyp

Kyp Member

Jan 22, 2017
    Last 4 weeks, we did not rush 3. Tonight we rush 3 all night. What the heck are we doing

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Kyp

Kyp Member

Jan 22, 2017
    How long can we we blame our offensive or defensive coordinators. I think it's time tomlin starts taking the blame. He needs to go

18. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Playing scared

19. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Also I can't believe Gilbert a former no. 1 pick is not a better DB then Gay right now. Gays looks old and slow. Sometimes our coaches are just too stubborn to make changes, like continuing to have Toussant taking kickoffs when he never gets past the 15 yard line. :facepalm: Like not playing Ayers and playing Coates and Bey when neither can catch.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2017
  20. Guest

Guest Guest

Hi, Kyp. Saw you and the others posting in the lottery thread. I'm happy you're sticking around to post with us. Welcome to TSF! :towel:

21. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    Yup. He said while polishing his pom poms. ;)

Coach Tomlin, you knew the bridge was out. The bridge has been out for weeks. There were signs all over saying the bridge was out. Why, then, did you try to drive the bus over the bridge, ditching it in the river?

"That route was our plan. We always use that plan. If the plan didn't work, it's because we didn't drive well enough."

Errrr, ummmm... Surely you saw the big gaping chasm where the bridge once stood. Why continue to drive forward when you saw the gap?

"Look. I already told you. We HAD a plan. I don't care what we saw. We stick to the plan. It's the driver's fault we went over into the water."

Well, Coach, once in the water, the entire team drowned on the bus. Why didn't anyone get out?

"We were going with the plan we had. We don't live in our fears. You wouldn't ask me these questions if the bus drove through the river and reached the other side."

Coach, that's impossible. The engine would have died almost immediately.

"It's easy to second guess. We had a plan. Period. Obviously it didn't work the way we'd hoped. We own that."

Coach, forgive me for saying this. But you're an idiot.

"Obviously."

Last edited: Jan 23, 2017
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1