1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

I'd rather lose...

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by 12to88, Jan 7, 2012.

1. BLACKnGOLDsince72

BLACKnGOLDsince72 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Net: A "Gone down swinging" respectable loss to either the Pats or the Rats I could live with. A humiliating loss to the Tebow led Broncs never ! Are you kidding me that would be torture and it would be thrown up in our faces until the end of time :oops:

2. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    we won't bow down to any team. spann will get another week. cortez could be back after another week. pouncey could be back after another week. clark will play in NE. bring on the brady bunch. i believe i'd like to see another shot at the thugs from bmore. :broncossuck: :matrix: :stogie: :cool:

3. jhmiller3

jhmiller3 Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Thanks Ray!

And, @TheWanderer, sitting in the stands at the SB does not make you a true fan. Sitting in the stadium till the bitter end when you are getting hammered through the 80's is when it counts, and that is part of my roots! Born and raised in the Burgh. Your comment about Ohio just proves you don't know much about Steeler Nation. And for the record, over 40 years as a fan here. Objectivity has nothing to do with hoping you get beat because you don't want to face your next opponent. Holy crap dude! :doh:

And finally, no, I do not believe that we will win just because we beat them the first time. Like you, I saw what happened in the 2004 season. What I believe is that we will do a better job preparing this year and we will finally shake the monkey off our back. That being the "...haven't been to a SB going through New England..." That is what I believe.

4. Cali Doll

Cali Doll Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I completely agree with you!!

I have to laugh at all the "fairweather fan" talk...blah, blah... I surely hope we beat the Broncos and NE and anyone else who stands in our way... But, I promise you I'd be more upset losing to New England again than I would be losing to Denver.

Maybe it's something a lot of you can't understand and that's OK but it certainly doesn't make someone a lesser fan to feel this way.

Either way, GO STEELERS!

5. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    I understand what you guys are saying though, I don't agree at all. Not that it's really analgous (SIC?) but, after we lost to the Pats in the AFCCG in Pittsburgh, my nephew's half brother, (a big Charger Fan) told me that he'd rather be a fan of a team that never makes the playoffs than to be a fan of a team that loses the AFCCG at home.
    I told him, "Then you must be the biggest Charger fan there is!" :yeehaw: :towel: :herewego:

6. 12to88

12to88 Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2011
    I think you've twisted what I'm saying just a bit.

All I'm expressing is...

As Steeler fans would we rather lose 10-7 in Denver....or beat Denver and lose in New England 45-10?

In this scenario, winning both games, or losing a tough one against the Pats, are not options. What I'm saying is, I'd rather lose in Denver if those are my options. That's all. And I fear that they are.

7. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    I, for one, would rather lose in the second round because, it's the second round. Being one and done would suck. Especially losing to the Tebows. Now, if the Broncos had a real QB, that would be a different story. :yeehaw: :yeehaw: :yeehaw: :yeehaw:

8. 12to88

12to88 Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2011
    I get a sense that if the Steelers lose to the Broncos today, it won't be because of tebow. It will be a 13-7 type loss with the Broncos sole TD coming on a pick-6 or punt return.

9. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Possible but, we're in the playoffs! No matter how far we go, there are 20 other teams that ain't there! :yeehaw: :yeehaw: :yeehaw: :yeehaw:

10. Cali Doll

Cali Doll Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011

LOL! Hilarious!!! :yeehaw: It is better to get farther than the other guys sitting home watching the playoffs and championship games, regardless... and it's awesome having a competitive team. LET'S GO STEELERS! Kick donkey butt!

11. jhmiller3

Oct 22, 2011
    OK, cooler heads to prevail. ;) No more name calling or questioning each other's loyalty.
    I (now) understand what you are saying and, if you are now asking that question, I would still rather win in Denver and (ugh) lose in the second round. And...I'll go you one better. I don't think I can convert this thread to a poll, so I will, with TTF's permission, start a new thread and we can all vote on this. However, let's leave scoring out of it. Flat out the poll will read, If these were the ONLY two options, would you rather lose to denver or win only to lose to NE.

TTF, if this is too much, then please feel free to take down the poll. Otherwise, let's see how it goes.

12. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    I was going to stay out of this, but eh, I'll chime in. The notion of losing to a joke of a team, and being 'one and done' makes me sick. I get the fear of losing again to the Patsies in the playoffs, I really do, but seriously? Some fans would rather see us embarrassed going one and out and losing to the Broncos, vs. seeing us move on to the next round and furthering our chance at another superbowl title? Against a team we already whooped on this year? I'm afraid I just can't grasp that...but too each his own.

I will say that we should be careful with the 'troll' labels, challenging people's fanhood, and personal attacks in general. We're all friends here so let's make a point to 'attack the issue, not the man'. I haven't seen any Steelers fans here who weren't 'true fans', and no one in this thread is a troll. Let's try to avoid 'my e-peen/fan-peen is bigger than yours' conversations as much as possible. :-D

Now, let's see our boys kick some Donkey tail today!
    :herewego!:

13. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    It's fine with me. :thumbs_up:

14. jhmiller3

Oct 22, 2011
    That's all I am saying.
    Agreed. Sorry. You know how cranky I can get, but you are right and I apologize. :oops:
    Yep! :drinks:

15. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Well, 1st of all, the original post kind of blows me away. I can't even fathom not wanting to win a playoff game for ANY reason. Second of all, the Pats are not a team to be feared. The Boston Globe writer is 100% correct. They have feasted on unforced errors all season. They probably have the luckiest 13-3 record I've ever seen. The Pats are Brady, Welker , two tight ends and a slightly above average O-line. That's it. The rest if the team is a sham, especially now that that their top pass rusher is gone. If we get by Denver, and don't suffer further injuries to key players, we will handle the Pats.

16. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Heres what I think of the topic

:kapow:

Really? Hoping they lose? Then why watch?

17. TheWanderer

TheWanderer Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    the ohio comment was used to illustrate how ridiculous your 'bandwagon' comment was. i don't think this place is easily accessible to trolls. it's not really an open forum like espn or something. 95% of this place, i think, is carried over from the steelers main web site (which was harder to access than the kennedy files). i just recently started paying more attention to this board and was hoping for a board where people could post objective opinions without being bashed and labeled as 'bandwagon fan' or told nonsense like 'you're obviously not a real fan if . . . '

everybody on this board is a 'real fan' if they found this board.

regarding your poll, my opinion was that i'd rather lose to the broncos than the pats. not meaning this season. just in general. i find it difficult to believe any steelers fan could stomach another punch to the nads from the fist of the patsies. and, obviously, i think everyone (except for the OP) wants to win today regardless of what happens next week. i don't really like our chances next week, but i want to play 'em.

18. jhmiller3

Oct 22, 2011
    @The Wanderer...we're cool. :drinks:

Had my coffee. Better now! :roflmao:

19. Steelballz

Steelballz Active Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Fans like you make me absolutely sick to my stomach!! We had a 12-4 season and make the playoffs and now you want us to lose??? Turn in your towel and get the hell out of here!!

:frustrated: :frustrated:

20. 12to88

12to88 Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2011
    Not saying I want us to lose. But if given the choice, I'd rather lose in Denver than get skunked in Foxborough. I'm glad a lot of fans have faith in Tomlin and Arians' ability to outcoach Belichick and co. in a playoff game on the road. I don't. They called a magnificent game in the October matchup. Unfortunately, you can't fool Brady and Belichick twice.

21. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Allow me to clarify everyone's frustration with you: you do understand that winning BOTH games is an option as well, right? Or that we might lose to New England in a very close match Because in your original post that got everyone so upset, it sounded like you didn't think either of those was possible. And now you've said as much.

Brady and Belichick are so godlike to you that the fact that we beat them once makes it 100% impossible that we will beat them again, instead of the usual 99%. Is that it?

...I now join in with my :frustrated:

22. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    Ok. I think we can all stop piling on the OP now.

We vehemently disagree with his preference. But we're all family here, and it's getting a little out of hand. I don't believe for a second he WANTS us to lose. He's a tad pessimistic, but then, well, I can't throw stones when it comes to that. ;)

Let's just take this one game at a time. I WANT the Patriots. One: I think they're vulnerable (even as banged up as we are). Two: if we beat them, it'll be the third time in a row that they've been one and done in the playoffs. :thumbs_up:

23. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Well, you're getting your wish.

24. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    Feels good, right? :( :doh:

Don't EVER jinx your team again. :club:

25. 12to88

12to88 Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2011
    My wish: that the Steelers play championship-calibre football. Unfortunately, they haven't shown the ability to do this since midseason. I'm sorry that you didn't see this coming. If the Steelers can't hang with Tebow and the Broncos, then what did you think Brady would do to these guys???