1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

id love to see a poll... is ben elite

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by HinesWardHOF, Dec 23, 2012.

1. HinesWardHOF

HinesWardHOF Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    poly i dont think i have agreed with 10% of your posts.. but you are right on.. the steelers NEVEEEEER put a team away .. they have no killer instinct and ( dracrav i know i spelled NEVEEEEER wrong before you show off your 8th grade spelling bee ribbon again.)

HINES..

2. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I agree with what you said in regard to throwing in tight windows. My criticism of Ben has always been the inconsistency in which he plays QB. Ben's inconsistent play has a trickle down effect on the entire offense. In the past, the defense and Ben's ability to win games in the 4th was good enough to win most games. The defense did their job in some games this season. Ben couldn't deliver in crunch time this season. Remains to be seen if Ben can get "it" back going forward to pull out games in the end. Even if Ben gets "it" back, the offense will continue to perform as an inconsistent unit as long as he is QB.

3. rukus4ever

rukus4ever Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Not solely, no. Ben cannot carry a team. I have been saying this for a while, now. Ben started to get exposed in the run up to SB43.

4. rukus4ever

Oct 24, 2011
    Inaccurate. The team surrounding him led to all that.

And the Defense, Willie Parker and Hines Ward provided ring #5 @ SB40. That's why Hines Ward was MVP.

And Harrison and Holmes provided ring #6 @ SB43. That's why Holmes was MVP.

Ben is an above average QB. Not elite.

The elite QBs are the ones that everyone would like him to be like.

5. rukus4ever

Oct 24, 2011
    Ben is not elite.

However, neither is the rest of the offense.

6. virginiasteelerfan

virginiasteelerfan Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    guess you missed that last minute perfect throw to 'tone for a TD to win the game. not to mention the drive to get there

7. darcrav

darcrav Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2012
    :cool:stop it
    it was just that one time.....
    we are fans of the same team
    we both could agree that they suck at this time.:shrug:

8. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    the question should be he is still elite ?

9. Tdot Steeler Fan

Tdot Steeler Fan Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    What's sad is next week our offense will probably put up 40+ points which if they do I find it a real slap int he face.

10. truckin9999

truckin9999 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I guess he is forgetting the 3 road playoff games that Ben won, just to get to SuperBowl 40. But what the hell, people only want to remember 1 out of the 4 post season games that year anyway

11. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    The defense he used to have made ben look elite, since they cleaned up a lot of his mistakes, now that he doesn't have the same D, Ben is a bum the free ride is over. Keep Haley, get rid of Ben the guy thinks he runs the steelers. :roflmao:

12. noitall0605

noitall0605 Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2011
    Ben is the type of Qb that really benefits from a running game. Hell, Eli struggling too....

anyways, Ben does have to get rid of the ball quicker. Things have changed. Now he is holding it to long and is having more bad plays happen then good plays like he used to get in the past.

13. steelburgh

steelburgh Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2012
    To all Steelers' fans....Ben is not an elite QB. He is a VERY GOOD QB, but not elite. Ben is not in the same category as Manning, Brady, Brees and Rodgers. I realize that some of you will disagree, but the truth sometimes hurts....

14. fanfav

fanfav Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    I never really thought of it from this perspective, but he hasn't been able to bring us back in those games. Nevertheless, its still hard for me to forget what hes done for us in the past. See SuperBowl Versus Arizona

15. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Bens elite, end of story.

16. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Ben is PHYSICALLY elite for sure. I just wish he would become more INTELLECTUALLY elite. I think he is elite. I'm just saying I wish he would become more academic in his approach.

17. psycho ward

psycho ward Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    ThirdTE=freakfontana;118217]the question should be he is still elite ?[/QUOTE]

This is the real question.....Right now you'd have to say he isn't. He can't consistently make the plays to win big games.

18. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I admire you for knowing your limitations.

19. oldschool

oldschool Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Why is it so hard for people to accept that he USED TO BE elite, but he is not anymore???

I used to have major heated debates on this subject defending him. Now, I just have to agree he is above average with moments (that are getting fewer) of brilliance. Things change y'all...

He's still physically tough though. I do not think he is as smart as the elite QB's of this league. That is why his back yards it so much.

20. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Then why was his play before he got hurt solidifying his status as elite among the talking heads. He was playing lights out, don't care what anyone says, he's definitely among the elite. He threw 7 interceptions this year people, 7, the last 2 just happened to be really bad.

21. BLACKnGOLDsince72

BLACKnGOLDsince72 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    LOL that's exactly what BA did with Ben and he got crucified and ultimately fired for it.

22. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    There are few elite QB's. That is why they are elite. Sometimes Ben is very good, sometimes not. On a scale of 1-5, he is a 3.5 nor a 4. But not elite. I wouldn't trade him, and we have too many other needs to take a QB in rounds 1 or 2. The only thing stopping Ben from being better is intellect. I thought BA was the problem in this regard. Now, it is apparent it is Ben.

23. Steelcop

Steelcop Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2011
    Ben is elite in his own way. Sometimes though he forgets who he is and think he is Peyton Manning. For that I get pissed at him but I'm still a Big Ben supporter (No pun intended).

24. BLACKnGOLDsince72

BLACKnGOLDsince72 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    You have nothing to worry about. They'll be lucky to put up 14 next week let alone 40. The Browns D has played hard all year in losing efforts and next week will be no different for them. They're looking at the Steelers like a wounded dog right now and they aim to put that dog down and it wouldn't surprise me if they do.

25. mrtnalvrz

mrtnalvrz Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2012
    Then I have a question for you... why, in 25 years before Ben the Steelers won only 1 AFC championship -- losing the corresponding SB-- even though we had great players in many positions with exception of QB? A lot of people said that the SB we lost against the Cowboys was because the team carried O'Donnell but in order to win a SB your QB has to be a key component.

The 2005 success was a team effort agreed, but I am not convinced that with Maddox or Slash under center we could have won 3 playoffs on the road. Ben's clutch execution in the team's victory over the Cards won the game. Again, put Maddox there or Slash and we got nothing. Even the lost against the Packer, Ben almost turned that game for us at the end if not for a stupid fumble. I am amazed at how 3 bad games of an obviously injured Ben and all of the sudden, Steelers fans want to forget all the amazing things this guy has made for the Steelers so far.