1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

I'd consider trading TJ Watt - We need a full rebuild

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SDOT, Oct 13, 2022.

1. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    This. Players contracts are real and not Monopoly money.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. AtlSteel

AtlSteel Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2021
    Yeah, but Tomlin sucks.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Steel Hog

Dec 6, 2017
    Nothing wrong with celebrating 1st downs, I do it every time. I get what you're saying but this ship can still be righted somewhat if a few things happen that need more time. Who knows if that'll happen but what the hell else you going to do on Sunday? JMO>

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    A big Help would be if .....We could get just 3/4 of our Starting D healthy, and on the field.
    I really don't think people understand how many players have been out, or playing injured on that side of the ball.....add that with M. Canada, and a rookie Qb.....Well....not a very good mix

5. RockyBleier

RockyBleier Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2015
    Nope. On to Tampa Bay.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Steel Hog

Dec 6, 2017
    This is like a circular firing squad. First thing is to realize we're in this fix because we haven't selected or developed the right talent (plus other issues non player personnel related). Second, the talent we do have, some want to get rid of it to get more draft picks. Third, after goosing our team out of all our talent to get more draft picks, those who thought of this are counting of the same people who picked poorly in the first place to continue making poor picks after getting rid of what we had? Besides, how many more wr's do you think we'll pick up? I think we've gotten away from building through the draft as much as we used to along with being unable to develop those we did. We need new talent evaluators to go along with a new bad ass, in your face, fear us SOB culture. Oh the old days how much I miss them. JMO>

7. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    I agree and did say this strategy probably doesn’t work with Tomlin. Perfect excuse for new HC and coaching staff. Switch to 4-3 defense.

What will happen? We will keep throwing patches on the leaky boat. Go into next year paying the Watt and Heyward bros because loyalty or something. D-line will get 1 or 2 healthy games before an issue.

Probably win a bunch of pointless games this year so Tomlin can pound his chest. Meanwhile, screwing up our draft position. Where we need to address the whole o-line, two linebackers, corners, safety, and NT. We’d have to hit on every pick the next 2-3 years just to be competitive.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  8. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    We could trade him for the next 5 #1 overall picks and not get a player as good as TJ. I don't mind entertaining wacky ideas, but this is just laughable.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  9. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    I agree. This is about big picture. By the time we fill all the needs he’s going to be JJ Watt in 2022 status. Which is fine but not game changing basically Heyward in 2022. He could give us a big return which is going to be needed to get out of this mess.

10. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Bingo. This is not Watt's fault. The lack of talent on defense is now magnified without him. Amazing isn't it. And some want him gone? Players like him, Minkah and Heyward you pay. The lack of drafting and developing properly has stunted the growth of this defense.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Just PLEASE GO AWAY. YOU MAKE NO SENSE!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  12. SteelerNole

SteelerNole Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2019
    Just stop

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  13. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    What "big picture" process do you sell to your team, or your new franchise QB by trading the best player in the league on defense (in his prime right after signing a contract) in a league where you can be bad one year, make a few moves, then be excellent the next year? This would be just reactionary panic, and likely set the franchise back a half decade. The Bengals won 4 games with a rookie Burrow, then the next year they went to the Super Bowl. Instead of shipping out our good players, we should figure out who we want to roll with, actually hit on our first two picks next year (Likely going to have a top 10 pick and one in the mid to late 30's) and spend our money well in FA during the offseason (which we will have plenty of with a few roster moves and restructures). We aren't in a 2016-2017 Browns situation... We actually have a good foundation of good players and a young QB to build around. We just need to put the right pieces around them.

You can sell me the value of trying to move Heyward to a contender post June 1 this year, you cant sell me TJ Watt. That's just dumb.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    Aditi Kinkhabwala had an hour show on 93.7 The Fan on Wednesday and she absolutely ripped the coaching staff and the front office. She was especially critical of Matt Canada but also the front office for the disastrous lack of depth behind the starters.

• Like Like x 1
  15. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    It’s simple.. Watt has 1-3 years left playing at a high level. 3 being the max imo. We won’t be able to fill all the holes we have in that time to be competitive. All that will happen is Watt will help a terrible team be around .500. Saving the jobs of idiots who should be fired and ruining our draft position.

16. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    I disagree that he has 1-3 years left at a high level in the same way that I disagree that we aren't able to fill enough holes to be competitive within the next 3 years. We don't have to go 0-17 for multiple years to get ourselves back in contention (and getting multiple top 5 picks in a row is no guarantee that we will be competitive for it). We have Watt under contract for that entire duration of time. Lets consider moving him if and when we decide that we wont have anywhere near a competitive team 3-5 years from now.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Steel Hog

Dec 6, 2017
    I understand where you're going and like myself, I want our team back to respectability yesterday. Lots of ideas by all and all are as viable as any others. The risk factor I was trying to make in an earlier post is what happens if we get rid of known HOF potential talent like TJ for more draft picks and those picks don't all pan out? We're right where we are now but without the key talent we used to have. The draft is an unpredictable process. That is a horror story and we're all in it. You could say its high risk, maybe high reward, maybe. I don't cherish the thought of getting somewhere, maybe. Instead, build around key personnel we have with smart and accurate picks or other FA's and hope we get coaches that know how to connect the dots. Of course, regime change comes with its own risk factors as well but if we're not changing, we're not really trying. JMO>

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Exactly we’re going to waste 3-5 years being mediocre then rebuild. When the rebuild should start now. I guess we didn’t learn from the AB and Bell situation. Writing was on the wall and should’ve traded them. Held them too long and got peanuts back in return for them.

19. OB1

OB1 Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2022
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herschel_Walker_trade

The Herschel Walker trade was the largest player trade in the history of the National Football League.[1]This deal on October 12, 1989, centered on sending running back Herschel Walker from the Dallas Cowboys to the Minnesota Vikings. Including Walker and a transaction involving the San Diego Chargers, the trade eventually involved 18 players and draft picks.[2] At the time of the deal, the Cowboys were one of the worst teams in the league (the team finished the 1989 season with its worst post-merger record, 1–15), trading away their best player, while the Vikings believed that Walker was the missing piece they needed to make a Super Bowl run. Thus, Minnesota originally felt that they got the better end of the deal. Instead, the Cowboys used the draft picks acquired in this trade to get the players they needed to help them win three Super Bowls in the 1990s.

• Winner Winner x 1
  20. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    But why do we have to be worst team in the league to "properly rebuild"? When has that ever been a winning strategy? Does getting an extra 5-7 slots higher in the draft ensure that we will "rebuild" well enough to be competitive in 3-5 years? Does a couple extra picks make us contenders (especially when we give up a player who is likely better than all of these picks can/will be)? There are literally dozens of ways for this team to rebuild effectively, and do so in a quick timeline... Why does that include shipping off our best player? There just isn't logic backing this up.

Its a fallacy to believe that we have to "get something" in return for every player that eventually leaves via FA. Sometimes its not feasible, while others its not worth it. Sometimes its just better to have that player. We aren't as far as we think from being a good team. We will have 30+ million dollars in FA money next year (and that's not even including cuts and restructures that will save us probably 15-20 million+ more). Lets go do something with that money. Lets hit on our high picks this year. Lets develop our franchise QB. We can easily be a playoff team as early as next season if we do it right.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  21. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    [​IMG]

• Winner Winner x 2
  22. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012

Cam Heyward is 33 years old and has been playing at a very high level his entire career including this dismal season of the overall team performance. TJ Watt is 28 years old and has played at a very high level as well up until this latest injury. It is a fact that this team performs undeniably at a different level and not in a good way when he is not out on the field. Trading TJ Watt would be a huge mistake right now. Not only would it be a dumb move, it would also probably change the home field attendance. If that were to actually happen I could see fans just finding something other to do with their Sundays. I know I wouldn't waste my time on this team if they ran it like the Pirates do.

• Agree Agree x 2
  23. nor

nor Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2016
    Then replace him with a good one at that time also

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  25. METALMAN_68

METALMAN_68 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2022
    Any rebuild has to be centered around some key pieces on both sides of the ball. I feel you have to have some veteran presence for that to happen as well. You simply can't expect two rookies in Pickett and Pickens to fit that bill. Watt is absolutely the leader you need to rebuild a defense. I see no way in hell they trade him. Give Pickett a year with some veteran QBs helping him along and hopefully he hits the ground running next year after adding some key pieces in the draft. Voila! Back to the playoffs baby!

• Like Like x 1