1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

I wish TJ and Harrison could start at OLB...

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by ThrowToHeath, Dec 11, 2017.

1. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
    I think it's that shoulder injury that's holding him back. He was a beast at the end of last season. This year not so much. I think he's playing hurt.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I'm not buying it. If he's hurt why not play Chick or Harrison?

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
    I think that's where we're headed. Chick and Watt with Deebo sprinkled in. Bud's not the same guy he was at the end of last season.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Well Harrison played vs the Ravens and wasn't effective.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Based on what? He had very few snaps.

6. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    He also had few snaps vs the Chiefs but he still got a crucial sack.

7. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    D line and secondary was playing a helluva lot better in KC too... It's all relative.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. The Glory Days

The Glory Days Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    James didn't have the speed? Name ONE defensive player who showed they had the speed to close on Baltimore's running back.

...I'm waiting...

...still waiting...

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. bleednblackngold

bleednblackngold Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2015
    Should Watt be used primarily to try to cover Gronk Sunday?

If no, what is a good strategy to minimize Gronk's impact?

I am asking, not suggesting. I don't pretend to be an X's and O's guy

10. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Didn't know that was a challenge more of a statement. Obviously you have some thoughts so share them.

11. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I think you need a physical player that will battle Gronk and that only limits him for a while.

12. Kreighoff

Kreighoff Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2017
    On the strip sack I though Watt showed great burst off the line, tenacious hand fighting and good bend to get under and around the right tackle. Pretty good for a ROLB lining up at LOLB.
    Dupree gets off ok but has limited moves next to no bend and allows himself to be pushed wide. I was hoping Dupree would have had a few more moves this year but I really don't see anything more than what he showed last year.

I agree with an earlier comment, that move at that time was brilliant and exactly what we needed.

13. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Shazier would’ve been that man. This is why losing him can very well end our run.

Shaz and Haden = great defense

No haden = decent defense

No shaz no haden = horrific

14. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011

I don't think I would describe our situation as being quite so grave. We are not as good without shaz and haden. That much is true but given some time and practice I think we can improve upon our performance against the Ravens. Really low bar to improving but Davis did not play well and he is usually a guy you can count on. Mitchell is banged up and not as effective.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    So I have a thought/question, I have read a lot and there seams to be many people who think Watt can go inside. I think making a "major" switch like this is bad but after watching last game we have no options at ILB. There is lots who have said Watt played inside/outside in college and I remember some here talking about that in the draft threads last off season. This had me thinking and I am starting to like this idea. We are using Watt in coverage now as an OLB and RS dropped into coverage a lot so could this move work?

IMO, I feel we have good replacements waiting at OLB(Chick and JH) and could do the job well enough with a Watts move inside. At least Chick and JH could be better OLB's and give us more production than Moats, Fort, and Spence could give us at ILB. I know this is a lot to ask but hey we are looking to replace probably our best defensive guy, it is more than next man up, no?

16. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    If Watt covers Gronk then who is going to rush the QB, Dupree is invisible out there :shrug:

17. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Not many options at this point but I say Chick and JH?? IMO we need push up front and maybe Cam, Tuitt and/or Gravedigger gets that. Let the chess game begin........

18. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    I don’t think we need to get to Brady from Watt’s side; it’s enough just to press that part of the pocket in toward him. The real discomfort needs to come from Brady’s 10- to 2-o’clock.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    yup. edge rushing he will just step up. edge needs to be contained and interior collapsed. OR just hit him whenever you can. that Achilles is hurtin