1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

I went back and looked at offense highlights from last year and man...

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by ThrowToHeath, Oct 10, 2022.

1. ThrowToHeath

ThrowToHeath Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2011
    I was curious if our offense looked any different last year compared to what we see this year. While we weren't great on offense, we still made the playoffs. This year we probably won't. Was it just losing Ben? What gives?

I watched this highlight video and note that it is just the best plays, there was a lot of bad plays that weren't shown. Highlights.

I was still impressed by a lot of Ben's throws, even being 39. One thing that stood out though was he and DJ were pulling off really good back-shoulder sideline throws consistently. Ben was always great at that, especially with AB. They also threw downfield a lot more than I remember from last season, though I don't think it was as much as they should have.

Today's offense is just bland. Bland plays. Bland execution. Bland throws. Bland catches. Just not enough. And the real problem is that they don't seem to be doing anything to fix it (other than QB change) or trying different things. It's just the same bland stuff over and over again.

Last year we at least had Ben's mythical "Ben must be calling the plays since its working" card, especially in second halves or end of game. We don't have that now.

I think the offense is too bland to be successful. I would like to see one of these young offensive master-minds come in and overhaul the offense.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Are you Ben's wife?

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  3. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

yes - it was ALL BEN.

WHEN will dumb fans come to see this? Ben was a superstar, a FIERCE competitor, a team leader. a commander.

we will suck for a while

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    I think we all took Ben for granted last year. He wasn't as good as he used to be. But even at 70% of his former self Ben is still pretty good.

I think we are all seeing that this offense sucks no matter who is at QB. Maybe Ben would have had a better end to his career with better play calling. We will never know.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    Well, to be fair, Trubisky couldn't throw for more than 50 yards in the first half and just generally stunk up things.
    Now we have a rookie.
    I think Kenny has some of Ben's Moxey and will "go downtown" to his receivers.
    But we can't have the QB throwing 50 times and rushing for a paltry 20 yards.

It's going to take some time to recover from what we had for a long time, QB.

Meanwhile, the Defense is non-existent.

6. Kreighoff

Kreighoff Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2017
    What I see this year and last is the run formation looks exactly like it is a run formation.

I know they did not run much but most times I can see run before the ball is snapped.

If I can see it so can everyone else.

You can get away with that if you have road grader offensive linemen and a back like Bettis, sadly we don't have either of those.

Serious lack of creative plays that spring someone open, lucky if we see three of those plays and when we do our receivers drop two of them.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. burghfan58

burghfan58 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    As great as Ben was for us over the years. The 2020-21 season I feel there were times he should have been benched when games got out of hand. The organization was just not going to do that to a future HOF QB. Like it or not, we have been in a rebuilding phase with or without Ben.

• Like Like x 1