1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

I watched the highlights of SB XXX today on NFL Network

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by BobbyBiz, Feb 12, 2012.

1. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    and I caught myself yelling at the TV: "Don't throw it Neil!! No, don't throw it!!" Like it would somehow make a difference.

That game was theirs. And Neil just gave it away. 16 years later I still get this sinking feeling of a lost opportunity.

2. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011

Why?

3. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Because that game was theirs. I was 10 when I first saw it, and I was sick. So sick. The INTs killed me, and I also focused on some bad calls by the refs that really would have changed the game. But last year I watched the highlight show, probably the same one BobbyBiz just watched, and I got a feeling that I didn't really have the first time around: that we were definitely going to win. We shut 'em down. We had it. We were going to win that game, if not for those two INTs. Killer.

So many guys on that team that deserved a Super Bowl ring.

4. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I agree the Cowboy s came out with some flash and scored early but the defense shut down Smith and was taking it to the much heralded Cowboys offense and the game had turned I felt like they were getting back into it until NOD botched it. My rationale mind tells me that it was just two simple mistakes my irrational self still says he got paid to throw the game. Worse than the loss was watching that azz clown Switzer acting like he did something great and shouting WE did it it or way baby, Hey Jerry we did it our way. Sorry but that win had more to do with the Vet squad than Switzer's leadership or lack there of.

5. oldschool

oldschool Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I've read that the receiver ran the wrong rout on the 2nd INT.

6. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I've read and heard that many times. That one was all Neil, and the other was Mills running the wrong route.

[youtube:253k4uzh]tCFVCLYl_7I[/youtube:253k4uzh]

However, it has always seemed to me that no matter what Mills did wrong, he had already broken off his route for some time before Neil threw it. In that video, Daryl Johnston calls it a "miscommunication" between the two. I would believe that, but just looking at the tape I don't know how on Earth Neil threw it over there, given the time that he threw it.

7. Boomer

Boomer Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2011
    You guys are tougher than me. I still can bring myself to watch highlights of that game. Watching it live the first time was hard enough. We should have won that game. Curse you Neil!!! :frustrated:

8. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    I know what you mean. I have watched it, but mainly because I love seeing the Steelers team from that era (Lloyd, Greene, and they had that receiver... can't think what his name was...) and I can never find many game films of the time on youtube.

I tend to switch off at a certain point, though.

9. 4EvrH8O'donnel

4EvrH8O'donnel Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    I was flipping through the channels and came across this game and immediately told the wife that I would end up destroying the TV if I watched it again.

I think my login name speaks volumes for how I still feel about that game.

Ugghhhghghghgh!

10. diehardsteel

diehardsteel Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I've never been able to re-watch that game or the one against the packers. It's too painful and I'm not in to pain; not that kind anyway. :thumbsdown:

11. steeltx06

steeltx06 Active Member

Nov 21, 2011
    I was too young to understand how we lost at the time. I look at highlights now and think, you gotta be kidding me!! Whats worse, its the cowgirls. I live in texas, the fans are the worst in the nfl. It would have been sweet to have swept these clowns in the SB. Our only 2 SB losses are games where Steelers played horrible and still could have won it at the end.

12. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Steelers played really flat and bad in the 1st half of that game. They came out and played great in the 3rd and the start of the 4th. That onside kick was awesome, Everyone talks about how Sean Payton did it in the Super Bowl a couple of years ago, Bill Cowher did it way before then. I can remember being 11 years old and saying in the 4th quarter, "At least Neil hasn't thrown any INT's so far" What a bad thing to say, I now never talk about stats during the game anymore to say the least.

13. colsteveaustin

colsteveaustin Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Those highlights are hard to watch.Many years later and I'm still pissed at NOD. :thumbsdown:

14. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011

No, I mean why would he want to watch the highlights of Neil O'Dummy handing the game to the Cowgirls? You can't convince me to this day that he wasn't on Jerry Jones' payroll that day. It certainly seemed that way anyway. That game ruined an otherwise lovely getaway weekend with my wife. Thanks Neil O'Dummy!

15. lersgofor7

lersgofor7 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2011

That wasnt mills running the wrong route on the 2nd int...mills blew his ACL out earlier in the game and to this day i tell everyone if he doesnt get hurt we win that game...he was carving it up

8 catches 78 yards before he got hurt in the 3rd Q....

if I recall it was andre hastings who ran the wrong route ...i could b wrong...

16. TheWanderer

TheWanderer Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    i think it was corey holliday who ran the wrong route. i was at the game and, out of 70,000 seats in that stadium, i had probably the best angle in the stadium on the play (being in the corner and having the exact angle neil o had).

hastings, as i recall, dropped a perfect throw by neil o on first down that forced dallas into a second-down blitzing situation. haley, i think, was coming off the edge, it was a hot read, neil o properly made the quick throw, and holliday ran the wrong route.

receivers can sure make a qb look pretty bad.

17. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    There was an article that talked about that play and the discussion they had after the first INT. Something about they saw how they were playing that and used it again to get the wide open receiver down the sideline, but Neil threw the pick again.

18. va.STEEL

va.STEEL Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    :herewego!: all I have to say about that game is..............neil o'sellout............I wonder how much jjones paid him :flag: