1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

I was wrrrr..... wrrrrrrr..... incorrect.

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by mdbates2, Jan 22, 2012.

1. mdbates2

mdbates2 Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    Greetings fellow Steeler Nation citizens. Last week, in an apparent moment or two of insanity, I accused the NFL of being phony and that it was destined to be a Harbaugh v. Harbaugh Super Bowl.

I'm never afraid to admit that I am wrong and I was this time. It is the only redeeming factor in the Puke-triots winning the AFC Championship. Though I still think that officiating stinks in this league, and the addition of 10 full time officials doesn't do enough, I will say that my faith in the integrity of the game has been re-established.

While the thought of Tom Lady and Bill Belicheat getting the chance at a 4th ring makes me want to vomit, at least it won't be the "Harbowl".

I'll certainly be rooting for the Giants tonight - and for EITHER NFC team next week.

Thanks for your understanding.

GO STEELERS!

2. 12to88

12to88 Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2011
    Re: I was wrrrr..... wrrrrrrr..... wrrrrrong.

Well, your point about phoniness is a valid one. It just didn't go in the direction you thought it would.

I don't think I have ever seen a team not got penalized in a game like the Pats didn't today. They had one penaltyu for 5 yards, don't remember it, but probbaly a false start or offsides. I saw a couple of other off sides, a roughing the kicker, a face mask, a helmet-to-hemlet shot, and a big defensive holding NOT CALLED. The Ravens didn't have a prayer.

3. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011

i believe if you check way way backto the beginning of the season or before, i said the league and they're rules were made for tom tom and godells buddy kraft and thats who they wanted in the SB and they were going to make it so. well,it's so. :shrug: :cool:

4. mdbates2

mdbates2 Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011

Nahhhhh I was just wrong. The officiating stunk, but I'm no longer thinking the games are fixed like I did after last weekend.

5. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011

I don't think games are fixed, but the Pats get more questionable calls than any other 10 teams in the league combined, and it had an impact today.

6. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011

I don't think any games are fixed all the way, like certain boxing matches. But I do think that the rules are not distributed evenly, and that the many refs are in the "when in doubt, side with ___" league. That shapes games. It doesn't always decide them, but it can. BAL vs. CIN round 1, Suggs wangs Dalton right in the head for a game clinching sack. I could see it from my house. If it's called a penalty as it should have been, Cincy gets new downs inside the 10 and has a high chance of winning. If it's not, Baltimore wins. It was not called. Was it innocently missed? Maybe, but Baltimore gets a LOT of those calls missed. Pittsburgh never ever gets away with that kind of thing, and half the time they'll just pretend/imagine it happened and throw the flag. The only time I've ever seen Pittsburgh get away with something like that is the one against Tebow, who has his own set of prejudices against him.

Anyway, I don't see the need for the NFL to have a horse in this year's AFCCG, since it's top two horses were already in it. They couldn't lose.

7. TheWanderer

TheWanderer Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011

actually, if the niners were to advance, i'd be forced to pull for the pats. i'd rather see brady get his fourth than the niners get their sixth. i like the niners MUCH more than the pats (my least favorite team in all of sports) but i don't want to see our hold on the league evened up.

8. ScottChab

ScottChab Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011

The Niners are bound to get #6 but there will always be one team to get there first.

:herewego:

9. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011

I did that same thing for SB 29, SF vs. SD. I was just a little kid, but I didn't want to see the 49ers get a 5th SB while my Steelers only had 4. So I rooted for the Chargers, even though I didn't like the Chargers (especially since they just beat us) and loved the 49ers almost as much as the Steelers.

All that did was ruin what should have been a great day. Everyone in my life was thrilled, and I was miserable. And I was also too embarrassed to explain the silly reason why I was rooting for the wrong team, so I kept it a secret and suffered silently. If I could do it again I'd enjoy the trouncing the 49ers dished out.

You aren't a 49er fan per se, but like me you loathe the Patriots. My recommendation is that you root with your heart, which means Tom Brady's ass in the dirt. That way you'll be happy if the 49ers win, and if the Patriots win, you can always fall back on the SB record for comfort.

10. TheWanderer

TheWanderer Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011

yeah, i'd be torn. no question.

still . . . i don't know.

i just hope the giants take care of both of 'em.