1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

I was at the 49er game and this is what I saw..

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by mrn6, Dec 21, 2011.

1. mrn6

mrn6 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    1) Our cornerbacks give 8 yard cushion on receivers when they line up..why?

2) Not one sack on on Alex Smith serious?

3) Memo to Kevin Colbert and company..did you see how many 1st round stud offensive linemen the niners have?

4) Farrior looked really slow

5) Mendenhall missed a few open holes in the middle, that sometimes I wonder about this guy.

6) I cannot stand Jim Harbaugh. He is a crybaby worst then his brother. He was constantly complaing to the officials...

7) Why can't we have a great kicker and an awesome special teams.

8) We got robbed on the fumble punt return of the 49ers..when Keenan Lewis recovered.

oh well..had a good time with my daughter at least

Finally..I am so proud of all the Northern California (and other areas) Steeler fans that were there. I swear there must have been at least 40% of us

2. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    1 unbeliaveable
    2 he was getting rid of the ball quickly (make point 1 even more unbeliaveable)
    3 sf drafted for years high in the round one but i agree we should consider more the position
    4 he need to be replaced but i don't see anybody on the team that can take his place
    5 it's an average rb behind a below average oline
    6 two punks they will cry togheter when they will go out soon from the playoffs
    7 special team is good kicker is average while i like kapinos
    8 seems he was interfering
    .... at least you had a good time me no

3. bigsteelerfaninky

bigsteelerfaninky Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    you make some very good points.....I also was proud of the crowd....when Heath caught the ball it sounded like a home game with the HEATH!!!!!!!!!!!! chant

4. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    I wonder what other players in the league have such a recognisable crowd call.

5. 12to88

12to88 Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2011
    In response to point #3: under the Cowher/Donahoe regime, the team often brought in top-notch FAs on the o-line. Duval Love, Will Woolford, Todd Kalis, and a few others, were instrumental parts of the line for most of the 90s. Though Cowher and Donahoe butted heads, they seemed to agree on one thing: the offensive line was an important element to the team. When Colbert took over as GM, this approach still existed, but they concentrated more on the draft. Still, it was Cowher/Colbert that brought Jeff Hartings in to replace Dawson.

Under Tomlin/Colbert the emphasis on the offensive line simply isn't there. Sure, they drafted Pouncey, and I'm okay with Marcus Gilbert. But the fact that there hasn't been enough of an effort to shore up this unit doesn't speak well for either man.

6. FeartheBeard

FeartheBeard Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011

I said the same thing when Heath had his catch.... :)

If Mendy would just hit the hole HARD instead of dancing around he would be SO much better....

I also can not stand the Harbaugh's...he was crying earlier in the game about our special teams going over the backs of other players during field goals kicks and then sure enough we got called for it later in the game :lolol:

7. Steeldefense08

Steeldefense08 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    i thought our Special teams this year is pretty good.

8. FeartheBeard

Oct 26, 2011
    Definitely better than last year....the SF punter killed us! Did Brown have any return yardage??

9. Thigpen82

Oct 17, 2011
    We talk about Mendenhall dancing around, but Brown does need to learn when to call fair catch, and when to take the hit rather than losing 5 yards trying to break a big one.

10. FeartheBeard

Oct 26, 2011
    Yeah, I think the one time he didnt call fair catch, he ran backwards several yards....I did appreciate his effort though because it was in short supply on Monday ;)

11. SteelerD

SteelerD Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    Not sure if you are referencing previous games or not. In the SF game he tried to break one and lost about 10 - 15 Yards. But it was late enough in the game that their only hope of a miracle comeback was to make a couple of big "splash" plays. I was thinking while the punt was in the air "Don't call fair catch, we need to score now!"
    Granted, it would have been a long shot, but I believe that Brown was probably told not to fair catch and make sure he tried everything he could to get a big return.

12. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011
    1) I thought the CB's actually mixed it up a little bit, but I was disappointed these no-name receivers beat us so often
    2) We have no push from our front 3, that's been our problem all year
    4) Well he is getting old, and Vernon Davis really is a beast
    5) I thought Mendy ran well, he just didn't touch the ball enough, considering we had an injured QB
    8) I think we got robbed on the fumbled punt, I didn't see him call fair catch, his arm extended out to catch the ball, but I didn't see it go over his head for a valid fair catch. No fair catch call, no interference, I may have seen it wrong but that's what I remember. BS Call

Additionally,
    I thought the Offensive line play was fabulous for the first 3 quarters. I was amazed how much time Ben had to throw some of those balls.
    I also thought Wallace could have made more of an effort to come back to the ball on the first int, and more effort to grab the ball on the other end zone int to force a tie in possession (offense wins tie possessions).
    Ben hurt us all game, he made some great plays but equally as bad killing drives. The fumble never would have happened if he was mobile.

13. traceman

traceman Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    Someone correct me if I am wrong. while I do not agree with the rule, I believe it states that the punt returner shall be given the oppotunity to complete the catch of the punt, ie. if he bobbles it, he is allowed a chance to control it before he or the ball is touched by the other team.
    Is this correct?
    http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?sec ... id=4505186

14. Thigpen82

Oct 17, 2011
    Well, there is that too. I wasn't trying to bash Brown - he seems to be playing with more fire than Wallace at the moment.

15. lersgofor7

lersgofor7 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2011

#1 its part of the scheme....they play to keep everyone in front....if they play press it would b a different scheme like they did against NE

16. Steelers4Life

Steelers4Life New Member

Dec 21, 2011
    Hi all, I'm new to the board. I was at the game as well. It was wonderful thing seeing all the Steeler fans at the game. When I took my seat next to a 49er fan he said not another one. He had Steeler fans in front on the side and behind him, everyone waving their towels.

17. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    as far as the punt. am i the only one that saw it bounce off his own mans shoulder first? how in the world that was interference is beyond me. even when they looked at it , it clearly showed it bouncing off his own guys shoulder first. big turning point in that game if you ask me. i knew in my heart we would get a royal ripping from the officials in that game before it even started. since all the media was all about tom tom and the cheatriots getting the #1 seed for the PO's. the commish was even at the game with his boosum buddy kraft to make sure it happened. he was on the horn with the officiating crew shortly after that game and yes i do believe that. he's a POS. :godell: :goodell: :rules: :darkness: :threaten: :cool:

18. 12to88

12to88 Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2011
    This is true.

Remember the San Diego game a few years ago? The returner bobbled it and then a Steeler defender (might have been a young James harrison, if memory serves) blasted him. Fumble. Steelers recovered. But that rule was cited by the refs and the Chargers got the ball plus the penalty.

Here's what I do if I'm a punt returner: I bobble the ball intentionally...play with it in my hands, all the way down the field, into the end zone. I can't be touched. (This is why the rule is stupid.)

19. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Good points. It did take quite a few cruddy years for the 49ers to draft high enough to get the stud linemen. Part of the price the Steelers pay for being consistently good is never having access to the best athletes in the 1st round.

20. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    1. We didn't do this in one game this year...New England.
    2. Well, we missed Harrison. Woodley looked like he wasn't there yet. Worilds looks better on Woodley's side. Combine this with #1 and you get the ball out quickly.
    3. Well, we haven't really drafted in the top recently. That being said, we will work on some of this I believe this coming draft.
    4. Yep
    5. Don't see him being back when his contract is up.
    6. Ditto
    7. Well our special teams basically got us a turnover, but Suisham was never going to make that FG
    8. Ditto

Glad to hear you had a good time.

21. PDXSteelers

PDXSteelers Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I was at the MNF game, too. It seemed like about 30% Steelers fans. Unfortunately, we did not have much to cheer about. The 49ers fans in my section were only in our faces a couple of times.

22. diehardsteel

diehardsteel Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Sorry but what kind of a championship worthy team are we if a punter "kills" us? Pretty sad commentary IMO. True champions, including the Steelers of the '70's weren't killed by punters; they did the "killing".

23. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    and came to the defense of our kickers. 58 :matrix: :club: :cool:

24. mrn6

mrn6 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    does anyone know when Mendenhall's contract is up?

25. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    After next season I believe.