1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

I want to hear from

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Sixpack, Jan 8, 2012.

1. Sixpack

Sixpack Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    All those fans, and u know who u r (or do u need me to call u out), that said wait till the playoffs. We were not a 12-4 caliber team and today u saw....every time someone said we were not that good, u would say not a true fan....now where r u? Don't make me review past posts!

2. lersgofor7

lersgofor7 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2011
    i dont care if we r a 12 win team or a 8 win team i am a fan all the way here we go steelers!!!!!!

3. 12to88

12to88 Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2011
    I'm w/ ya. We're apparently not allowed to question this team or else we forfeit our fan card.

4. Sixpack

Oct 26, 2011
    Very quiet as I expected.....not even a wait till next yr??

5. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    There were plenty of us all year saying this wasn't a playoff caliber team. Nor were they playing playoff caliber ball. We weren't happy about it. We wanted to see improvement. We wanted a truly dominant performance. We wanted to see our Steelers win. But we weren't going to cover our eyes and ears and say "all is fine" either.

But most of us saying that were still hoping against hope that the switch would eventually switch. It never really did.

People can say "injuries" all they want. They certainly didn't help. But you can't lay the failure across the board today simply on injuries.

Our secondary looked improved this season. Our points allowed was good. Our total D was good. But a lot of us had that queasy feeling that not all was right. We were allowing way too many third and long conversions. Our D looked soft at times. We weren't forcing turnovers. Our QB pressure seemed non-existent. We played against poor competition regardless of what some SoS chart showed.

Our offense looked sloppy. It had no identity. It had no finishing power. Points scored were abysmal.

We had a 12-4 record, but many of us felt the schedule was soft and questioned if we were as good as the record showed.

Well, we found out today. Back to the drawing board.

6. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    I'm happy for you. At least there's one satisfied fan after tonight's embarrassment.

7. Sixpack

Oct 26, 2011
    Satisfied no, pissed off yes! We need changes and I won't pretend like no matter what we do as long as we make the playoffs we should be happy....it is all about the ring!

8. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    I think we saw what the offense can be with a healthy passer in the game when Batch put those points up on St/ Louis. Ben had trouble with location and accuracy since the injury. If he hits the receivers early in this game they blow Denver out!

9. Ronak

Ronak Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Or if the receivers catch the balls. Or if BA stops calling bubble screens.

10. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Not buying it Ray, this team has short coming yes but no way they should lose to Denver. That was an abomination and had the look of a team that took them as lightly as many as us fans did. This is the first team that they should have beat that they lost to this season, they beat every inferior team except this one. It was an ugly game all around, ironically, the offense was less culpable then the defense tonight.

11. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Yes, the defense giving up 300+ yards to Tebow has nothing to do with it. 23 points against Denver should have been enough. Was it Bens fault that receivers were dropping passes tonight too? What about Mike "if you don't come and place it in my hands" Wallace who dropped another very very catchable pass?

12. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    Not buying it Ray, this team has short coming yes but no way they should lose to Denver. That was an abomination and had the look of a team that took them as lightly as many as us fans did. This is the first team that they should have beat that they lost to this season, they beat every inferior team except this one. It was an ugly game all around, ironically, the offense was less culpable then the defense tonight.[/quote:1zx2o4gd]

And most of those wins were sloppy, poorly executed, and way too close.

"A win is a win. Stop worrying" Is what we were told. But that kind of poor play, and taking things for granted becomes HABIT. And it bit us in the ass.

Denver is one of the 2 or 3 worst teams to ever make the playoffs. And we made them look like legitimate contenders. There's no excuse. None.

13. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    Yup. Not used to that but I can lay blame on the defense as much as I do on the offense. Just a weird, weird game. Still feel a lot of negative energy from myself a few hours after the game.

14. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Not buying it Ray, this team has short coming yes but no way they should lose to Denver. That was an abomination and had the look of a team that took them as lightly as many as us fans did. This is the first team that they should have beat that they lost to this season, they beat every inferior team except this one. It was an ugly game all around, ironically, the offense was less culpable then the defense tonight.[/quote:1dl9khm9]

And most of those wins were sloppy, poorly executed, and way too close.

"A win is a win. Stop worrying" Is what we were told. But that kind of poor play, and taking things for granted becomes HABIT. And it bit us in the ass.

Denver is one of the 2 or 3 worst teams to ever make the playoffs. And we made them look like legitimate contenders. There's no excuse. None.[/quote:1dl9khm9]

NO lost to Seattle last year, upsets are a fact of football, happens, unfortunately it happened to us tonight. The thing that most everyone was clamoring for this season wasn't even why we lost tonight.

15. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Yup. Not used to that but I can lay blame on the defense as much as I do on the offense. Just a weird, weird game. Still feel a lot of negative energy from myself a few hours after the game.[/quote:2u2ehucq]

Definitely. I don't even come near the board for about a week after a loss let alone a playoff loss. I just don't know how to deal with this one though, I figured coming here tonight would be like therapy. Brutal loss.

16. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    Not so sure.

We complained about the D not getting off the field on third down, not getting any pressure on QBs and the lack of turnover production. We were told "be quiet. #1 in defense!"

We complained about our offense's lackluster game plans and lack of ability to close out drives and score points. We were told "Duh! 12-4. It's all good."

BOTH came back to bite us tonight. Yes, upsets happen. But this game was a microcosm of everything that was wrong this year. If we close out some drives in the first half, or even 2 in the second half, it's a whole different ball game. If we get ANY pressure on Tebow at all, he likely is sitting on the bench before the 4th quarter. He averaged THIRTY ONE yards per completion... mostly on passes he had all day to throw.

17. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Not so sure.

We complained about the D not getting off the field on third down, not getting any pressure on QBs and the lack of turnover production. We were told "be quiet. #1 in defense!"

We complained about our offense's lackluster game plans and lack of ability to close out drives and score points. We were told "Duh! 12-4. It's all good."

BOTH came back to bite us tonight. Yes, upsets happen. But this game was a microcosm of everything that was wrong this year. If we close out some drives in the first half, or even 2 in the second half, it's a whole different ball game. If we get ANY pressure on Tebow at all, he likely is sitting on the bench before the 4th quarter. He averaged THIRTY ONE yards per completion... mostly on passes he had all day to throw.[/quote:1l4qsc1u]

I agree with Ray on this one. At one point this season I said the something to the effect of the single digits wins of this season will be the single digit losses of the next and the responses I got were 12-4 they must be doing something right. I think I even said something about records being meaningless in the playoffs since it is win or go home and the ugly win, no points for style approach would come back to bite them again only to be shouted down "metaphorically speaking)

18. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Not so sure.

BOTH came back to bite us tonight. Yes, upsets happen. But this game was a microcosm of everything that was wrong this year. If we close out some drives in the first half, or even 2 in the second half, it's a whole different ball game. If we get ANY pressure on Tebow at all, he likely is sitting on the bench before the 4th quarter. He averaged THIRTY ONE yards per completion... mostly on passes he had all day to throw.[/quote:1yxpt683]

I'd give your argument more merit had we went on to play and lose to NE because with the exception of that one win earlier in the year against them we didn't beat a single playoff team.Then I'd be like yeah you know what, we can't beat the good teams. This is just an upset. I'm not saying there aren't improvements to be made, I just don't think this loss proves anything.

19. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    Not so sure.

BOTH came back to bite us tonight. Yes, upsets happen. But this game was a microcosm of everything that was wrong this year. If we close out some drives in the first half, or even 2 in the second half, it's a whole different ball game. If we get ANY pressure on Tebow at all, he likely is sitting on the bench before the 4th quarter. He averaged THIRTY ONE yards per completion... mostly on passes he had all day to throw.[/quote:2ir02qcd]

I'd give your argument more merit had we went on to play and lose to NE because with the exception of that one win earlier in the year against them we didn't beat a single playoff team.Then I'd be like yeah you know what, we can't beat the good teams. This is just an upset. I'm not saying there aren't improvements to be made, I just don't think this loss proves anything.[/quote:2ir02qcd]

Oh, I agree it's an upset. I'm not saying we're a bad team. But we kind of brought this upset on ourselves.

I keep hearing "The standard is the standard." His standard must be different from mine. ;)

20. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Not so sure.

BOTH came back to bite us tonight. Yes, upsets happen. But this game was a microcosm of everything that was wrong this year. If we close out some drives in the first half, or even 2 in the second half, it's a whole different ball game. If we get ANY pressure on Tebow at all, he likely is sitting on the bench before the 4th quarter. He averaged THIRTY ONE yards per completion... mostly on passes he had all day to throw.[/quote:5p7z1gdz]

I'd give your argument more merit had we went on to play and lose to NE because with the exception of that one win earlier in the year against them we didn't beat a single playoff team.Then I'd be like yeah you know what, we can't beat the good teams. This is just an upset. I'm not saying there aren't improvements to be made, I just don't think this loss proves anything.[/quote:5p7z1gdz]

Oh, I agree it's an upset. I'm not saying we're a bad team. But we kind of brought this upset on ourselves.[/quote:5p7z1gdz]
    :this!: :this!: I can't believe that a gameplan for Batch couldn't have been tweaked for Ben that would have seen more production throughout the game. On defense they were all looking to make that bell ringer hit on Tebow and it bite them in the backside hard.