1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

I think Swann`s comments about Megatron could backfire

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by BigBensBigBong, Feb 10, 2016.

1. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    All you have to do is look at the hardware. Swann will always deserve to be in the HOF. 4 Superbowl Rings, 1 SB MVP.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  3. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    It only lengthens the debate is all. It could turn into mudslinging due to the mass of media idiots and social sites these days but it is what it is. Megatron is a stud period. A mold type breaking of receiver. However, he plays/played against the softest competition this leagues ever seen considering the rules handcuffing the secondary. He wouldn't have the same numbers if these kids were allowed to bust heads like yesteryear. He's also never had even a decent running game in Detroit to help stymie his numbers nor a defense that could hold their own thus negating detroits flinging it around to stay relevant in the game approach.

He's hall worthy i think but not a first ballot nor a few more after that. But eventually yeah he should get in.

He's not Barry. Barry was special. CJ is a GOOD player but not the special type of player I think that commands an immediate presence into the hall

Last edited: Feb 10, 2016
    • Like Like x 2
  4. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I don't know. I agree with Swann. As good as he his he didn't have the career I thought he would have. Might not all be his fault. CJ seemed to get nicked up alot with ankle injuries and what not, and when he was healthy his QB couldn't get him the ball half the time.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  5. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I happen to agree 100% with swann. He has never been shy about voicing his opinion. Johnson is a stud but I don't think he is hof worthy. Just my opinion

6. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I agree with the article, I don't know what Swann is talking about. SB isn't the be all end all credential for getting into the HOF.

Johnson spent his career on an awful dysfunctional Detroit team.

He'll be in the HOF.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  7. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Jerry Rice took a little swipe as well by saying that Megatron retired at an age where Jerry Rice was just reaching his prime. Maybe just to help Lynn and Megatron out we should offer him a one year deal and let Ben throw it up to him in the red zone so maybe he can get a ring and change Swann's argument? LOL!

• Like Like x 3
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  8. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I wonder if Swann and Rice don't want to see him retire, trying to goad him into playing.

9. EddieBurro

EddieBurro Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2016
    Can't offer him a contract since he's under contract with the Lions through 2019.

10. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    That's an interesting take. Is CJ still under contract with the Lions?
    Edit: Just seen Eddie's post.

11. Frost33

Frost33 Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2014
    And it was a different era. Today's game is so slanted towards WRs it's not funny. Swann played in an era that PI had to be pretty bad to be called and defenders could hit you all the way down the field. You can't just go by receiving numbers for this argument. Bart Starr had a completion percent of 57%. By today's standards anything under 60% is bad and would be a bench player but in his era he's a HoF'er.

Johnson has played 8 years. He's 23rd in yards (behind Ward btw). 22 in TDs (behind Ward again btw). He's 43rd in receptions (yup, again behind Ward! :p). He's retiring too early to be a HoF'er, I think Swann is right.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Swann was a big game player, that's why he got in the HOF.

• Agree Agree x 4
  13. MorrisFoster

MorrisFoster Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2014
    Swann had literally half the targets that Megatron got.

Bradshaw completed an average of 12 passes per game over his career.

What people expect Swann to do with such a low volume targets I don't know.

If you doubled Swann's stats to compare the targets to what Megatron got in '78 Swann would have had:

122 Rec 1760 Yds 22 TDs

Pretty damn good.

Bradshaw completed 12.9 passes per game that year.

Stafford completes 24 per game on his career.

Stafford has 4 of the top 50 seasons in most pass attempts including 1st, 5th and 19th.

A TON of balls have gone Megatron's way.

Megatron's record breaking season? Stafford threw the ball 727 times!!!

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    Oh man I didn't even realize that. I thought he had played it out and was a FA and was just deciding not to play again.

15. MorrisFoster

Feb 8, 2014
    I don't know why someone disagreed with this. Swann is getting all kinds of hate on NFL.com for his comments. OP is exactly right.

Mostly from "fans" who apparently never watched football in the 90s or beyond.

Stats flying all over the place.

16. EddieBurro

EddieBurro Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2016
  17. 12to88

12to88 Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2011
    From 1975 to 1978/79, Swann was the best WR in the game. Period. How good? So good that players took shots to his head, away from the play, just to get him off the field.

I don't know if CJ has ever been the game's best WR, definitively, for a four-year period.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
  19. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    If Calvin Johnson plays out the remainder of his contract, stays relatively healthy and has above average numbers including TD's then I think he would be a first ballot HOF'er for sure. Since he is calling it a career the same way Barry Sanders did, then I think he gets in after a few nominations but more so on just a popularity vote. He was great but there are no trophies to show for it.

In regards to being on the same playing level as Swann, it's not even close. Lynn showed up nearly every single game and especially during the playoffs and Superbowls. CJ not so much. He's been very hit or miss lately.

20. MorrisFoster

Feb 8, 2014
    From 73-79 a RB led the NFL in receptions each year. It was a different era.

Swann was a big play receiver. Swann was the Mike Wallace of the 70s... but without the stats.

Just kidding! Don't freak out! Haha.

Steelers were a run oriented team. When the big play was needed Swann made it. Being clutch is such a big part of sports and Swann was.

Art Monk was the only player before 1990 to go over 100 receptions. Since 1990 the receptions leader has been over 100 every year but '98.

You can basically separate all the receivers and passers from '89 and prior and '90 and after.

21. steelamazing

steelamazing Well-Known Member

Dec 22, 2015
    Now having CJ would solve our redzone problems

22. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Who deserves to be in the HOF was always going to get complicated, mind. At the risk of stating the obvious.

The longer a sport goes on, the more a logjam of worthy players builds up who don't quite make it in, but still have a case.

Then the rules are changed - free agency, 'safety' rules, etc. etc. - which changes the boundaries of what's impressive and what isn't.

For me, the only way to decide these days is to look at three criteria: positional dominance (in context), changing the way a position is played (across history), and exceptional representation of the game (e.g. what Swann did).

So Barry Sanders is a clear 'in', on that criteria, but CJ is perhaps a bit more questionable. I still think he gets in, though.

• Like Like x 1
  23. MorrisFoster

Feb 8, 2014
    Cliff Branch 74 - 60 catches 1092 yards 13 TDs

Steve Largent 79 - 66 catches 1237 yards 9 TDs

Those are the 2 best seasons by a WR in the 70s.

When I see people attacking Swann by directly comparing his stats in the 70s to Megatron's stats now I want to choke somebody.

Largent's amazing season would have been 42nd in catches, 9th in yards, and 14th in TDs (tied 8 ways).

That was a HOF season.

24. blountforcetrauma

Oct 23, 2011
    Sadly we might live unto a time when the HOF voters just go off of fantasy stats alone. Stats are actually really tough to base everything off of because of garbage time stuff that looks good later on paper. For example, to me, Hines deserves to be in more because of his work away from the ball as much as his work with it. He was an all around football player and more than just a "wide receiver". He could block. He could lay somebody out. He would go across the middle. He was tough and hardly took a play off and could be counted on to answer the bell. That's why I think Hines is HOF worthy.

• Agree Agree x 2
  25. MorrisFoster

Feb 8, 2014
    I agree that Hines is HOF worthy and his being the leading franchise receiver over 2 HOF receivers really helps his case regardless of era. Plus he was Super bowl MVP and rules were changed due to his blocks.

Doesn't have the stats that some other guys do though.

Staaaaaaaaats!