1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

I think Clarks absence was huge

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by 56IZABEAST, Jan 10, 2012.

1. 56IZABEAST

56IZABEAST Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Something tells me Tebow wouldn't have been that successful and I also think it impacted how Lebeau called the game.

The play where troy jumped the route and the te FeLLS cut up field for like a 30 something yard gain. I think troy would've told clark what he was gonna do and had clark cover for him.

You can't just rplace the chemistry those 2 guys had. Mundy played admirable, helped cause the fumble that turned into the tieing points but theres a reason why backups are backups, I don't care if the standard is the standard. We missed clark more we thought we would, certainly more than I thought we would.

2. blitz_burgh

blitz_burgh

Nov 15, 2011
    I agree 100%. I also would like to believe that Clark wouldn't have bitten as bad as Mundy did on the OT pass TD and would have been in a position to at least tackle Thomas if not defend the ball.

Blitz

3. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    :thumbs_up: i would love to see markelle martin drafted. :cool:

4. FeartheBeard

FeartheBeard Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I didnt think it was going to have as big an impact as it did.

5. Steeldefense08

Steeldefense08 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    me neither.

6. nitrous12

nitrous12 Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Glad to see this thread. I have been thinking the same since the game.
    People bash on Clark and I also don't like the way he tackles at times and his pass coverage isn't always the best. But he is the leading tackler on the team for a reason and that was missed!

7. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    You take 100 tackles through 16 games off the field. It's a huge deal. That 6.25 tackles per game. Huge.

8. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I agree. Clark is not the best saftey in the world, but he does get people in the right place. He was missed. I do admire Tomlin for not playing him though.

9. BK99

BK99 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    Clark was missed really bad but I never thought it was a big deal, after all, Tebow can't throw the ball and this was just luck, and not to mention every reciever on the team had the drops all day, can't score or keep drives going when the ball is being dropped at least once on every series.

10. 3carsteeler

3carsteeler

Dec 21, 2011
    I agree. He was definitely missed.

11. Cru Jones

Cru Jones Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Mundy was one of the few defensive players that played well.. Mundy had 4 takles & caused 2 fumbles, the 2nd leading to TD.

12. lamberts lunatic

lamberts lunatic Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    The fact is Clark,Mendy,Pouncy,Keisel, Smith out. Ben on one leg, makeshift Oline. We basically limped into the playoffs anyways. It was the perfect storm. Tebow is this years wildcat offense. Just something new and different. Next year he will be found out but good for them this year. They need the hype. Will be fun to watch Elway figure out how the chosen one will fit into their future. :lolsign:

13. steelers5859

steelers5859 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    We didn't get beat by Clark not being there, we got beat my a terrible scheme and no adjustments by the best defensive coord in the business.

14. SteelerFanInKC

SteelerFanInKC Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Still NO EXCUSE for puttng all 11 guys in the box, five yards off the line of scrimmage on the game-winning TD! NO EXCUSE for that, period.

15. SteelerFanInKC

SteelerFanInKC Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    ALSO, let me add that Tebow threw the ball a total of 31 times in the game, right? 20 of those passes or 70% came on first down and he completed 15 of those balls. Why in the HELL are we playing all 11 guys in the box, 5 yards off the line of scrimmage on first down????? HORRIBLE!

16. steelers5859

Oct 23, 2011
    Amen!! Cardinal Rule Number 1: Never leave the middle of the field open on defense.

17. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I still think that someone screwed up and wasn't in the right place whether it was Troy or Mundy.

18. steelers5859

Oct 23, 2011
    There is NO EXCUSE for playing that type of scheme in the NFL. College quarterbacks will eat you alive with that scheme.

19. blitz_burgh

blitz_burgh

Nov 15, 2011
    The Broncos ran the last 23 of 24 times on first down so apparently LeBeau new that and that is why they crowded the line to play the run. Their offensive coordinator got the best of Lebeau and called a great play at the perfect time. Checkmate. They win we lose.

Blitz

20. blitz_burgh

blitz_burgh

Nov 15, 2011
    I don't see how you can say there was no adjustment. The Broncos only had 3 points and 140 yards the whole 2nd half which gave our offense time to tie it. But LeBeau got owned on the OT play by Denver's Offensive Coordinator.

Blitz

21. steelers5859

Oct 23, 2011
    As a former coach, You NEVER EVER leave the middle of the field open. Under no circumstances do you not have someone in the middle of the field. Regardless if the other team has 0 points and 2 yards. That's not sound defense in the National Football League. I played safety in college, my own defensive coordinator ALWAYS told us "eight is enough". Meaning that eight in the box is enough. If you can't stop them with eight someone has to make a play. Why do you think that Ed Reed makes all those interceptions, because regardless of what's going on up front he's sitting back because he's the last line of defense.

You make adjustments because you had a player struggling. Taylor was getting eaten alive out there and he should of never been in that position after given up the first 200yds of receiving. When a tackle is struggling, we have a RB chip the DE, when the quarter is strugging, we adjust his routes and his play calling. Taylor need help and Lebeau did nothing. After the 2nd quarter we should of never played that scheme again.

22. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    People, Dick Lebeau blew this game. Could not generate a pass rush, Cb's that could
    not cover receivers man to man and Lebeau still stays in a man to man defense?
    C'mon man. Ryan Clark would have made no difference, the CB's could not cover the other teams
    recievers, its really that SIMPLE.

23. steelers5859

Oct 23, 2011

:amen: :amen: :amen: :amen: :amen: :amen: :amen: :amen: :amen: :amen: :amen: :amen: :amen:

24. Cru Jones

Cru Jones Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Nope.... You keep posting these stats on multiple threads and none of these stats are correct.

Tebow only passed 21 times completing 10 of them. As others have posted, Denver only passed 1 time on first down, prior to OT.