1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

I need some solid Advice

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by cajunyankee, Dec 5, 2021.

1. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    If you ever make it and come into town through the Fort Pitt tunnel, the immediate view of downtown is something you have to see to believe, especially at night. I've seen that sight dozens of times. You never get tired of it.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Definitely do the incline at night and go take a gander out on the mt’s platforms.

• Like Like x 1
  3. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    that would be a grand idea for old coast!
    You could drill a hole through it and get you a master lock and latch it onto the Clemente bridge!

4. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    Ive driven into the Burgh many years ago thru a tunnel and in the other side the city just jumped out, I’m assuming this is what you’re referring to. I would for my wife to witness this, can you tell me exactly where it is.

I’ll be driving from NC, up through WV, is this the only tunnel?

cajun

5. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    I borrowed this from a map website:

The Fort Pitt Tunnel carries Interstate 376, US 22, US 30, and US 19 Truck between Downtown Pittsburgh and its West End Neighborhood. It has two lanes both inbound and outbound. The tunnel travels beneath Mount Washington. Its northern ramps lead directly to the double-deck Fort Pitt Bridge. To mesh with the bridge, the North portal has openings at two levels, with the eastern opening leading to the top deck of the bridge. At the South portal the openings are at the same level. "FORT PITT TUNNEL" is mounted in small letters on a grey marble-stone frame-like entrance way above the South portal, with large letters used in the North portal frame. Before entering the tunnel at its southwest end, one sees a commonplace view of Western Pennsylvania's rolling green hills, but upon exiting at the northeast end, one sees a spectacular view of Pittsburgh Skyline, cited by the New York Times as "the best way to enter an American city". The view was also the inspiration for the news open on CBS affiliate KDKA-TV for several years in the 1980s and 1990s. It is referenced in Stephen Chbosky's novel The Perks of Being a Wallflower.

If you are coming up from WV, I'm guessing you'll be using Rt. 79 north. There is a ramp from there onto interstate 376 to Pittsburgh. I forget how many miles it is from there to the Fort Pitt Tunnel, about 7-10 anyway. You'll go down Greentree hill toward the tunnel, which then opens onto the Fort Pitt Bridge and the incredible view of downtown.

• Like Like x 2
  6. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    It’s not the most direct route from the airport to my house, but I deliberately take the tunnels just for that reason.
    :thumbs_up:

• Like Like x 1
  7. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012

You cannot walk across the Fort Pitt Bridge unless you want to either A) Be arrested or B) Run over.

Best bet is park at Station Square or take an Uber there for the Monongahela Incline or go to W Carson street parking lot for the Duquesne Incline. I personally like the Duquesne one better for views. Both are very easy to get to by car. Again, dress warm. These were built in the 1870's and they don't hold much heat plus Mt Washington can get very cold up there with the wind. It is worth going though if you've never been.

8. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011

Again thanks everybody!!! Another seemingly silly question, I want to bring back a six pack of Iron City Beer for a friend of mine, Where can I buy it? I assume it’s in all local stores but I hate assumptions so I’m asking ??

Cajun