1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

I need everyones opinions on this, its long but please read

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by petekoutromanos, Jan 23, 2017.

1. petekoutromanos

petekoutromanos Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    How does everyone know that Belicheck studies so hard, I don't care how hard you study, if you don't have the talent or an advantage you cant do crap, so you mean to tell me other coaches don't study just he does,i think that's bs,all media crap that's been driven in our heads, I think Robert Kraft is the head of tv broadcasting rights for the NFL owners and this is his reward, remember their dynasty started with the tuck rule, undeinieably the biggest crock of sheet ive ever heard of,,,,

2. petekoutromanos

petekoutromanos Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Also who knows maybe the Cleveland Browns are unto the Patriots way, that's why they are getting rid of all their draft picks, picking up RG3 as their QB etc, who needs talent , the Patriots way,pick up some cast offs on the cheap and roll to the bowl

3. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    have you seen us change much on defense in that time lol

4. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Well there was that ONE game in 2011.... LOL!

5. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    What gets me and is even worse is why throw deep to someone who has demonstrated he hasn't caught anything in months. Makes you wonder what we do in practice and lack of observation from our coaches.

6. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    While I do concur with the majority of the postings here that Belichick and Brady are a reason, we need to look at another underrated one; their defense.

Part of the reason Belichick has so much success does lie within Tom Brady. The other lies in his mastery of creating adaptability within his defensive schemes. Each time the Patriots have won a Super Bowl, their scoring defense was ranked within the top five.

Why am I calling this New England's secret weapon you may ask? The previous four Super Bowl Champions had defenses in the top five in scoring. New England's is no exception; all the more reason many people on the bookies are pointing to a New England win.

Personally I do not given Atlanta's style of defense in addition to their defenses unheralded range. In addition, Julio Jones is a nightmare problem; maybe now more so than Antonio Brown is.

Either way, if people want Pittsburgh to beat New England, this defense is going to have to continue to obtain investments. This is how Pittsburgh won six Lombardi's. To that end, here is what they need;

An edge rusher is obviously first and foremost.

Some safety depth.

Inside linebacking needs a tune up as well depth wise (massive priority if Lawrence Timmons leaves).

Additional cornerback depth.

Defensive line depth as well.

A top flight defense can still win championships for a team. We might not witness a defense like 2013 Seattle Seahawks or 2015 Denver Broncos for a while yet, but that does not mean these defenses have given future HOF quarterbacks issues. Until this defense gets to the level at which they can be their 2008 "Renegade" days, Tom Brady will continue to dismantle Pittsburgh as he has been to the entire league.

7. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
    It may not add up, but it's partially true: Ben doesn't have the patience to take what he's given and Brady does.

That 3rd and 1 on the first drive? I'm pretty sure Ben checked to the long pass because he saw man to man coverage on Coates. Brady doesn't take that shot until the game dictates it's necessary. He's content to stay within the gameplan and dink and dunk to sustain a drive. This usually results in extended drives that lead to points and a rested defense. The patriots way is smart football where all phases compliment each other.

Not us because "we don't live in our fears". Yes, a long bomb there can change the game but an incompletion leads to a devastating 3 and out and puts the defense right back on the field with little rest.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Pats have to be cheating. How can a team be this good this long with any players? It's like they know the plays

9. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    And it's working out for them. Totally.

10. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    Nailed it. And I cannot fathom why that sort of play is so abhorrent to us.

11. Spock

Spock Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2015
    Many good posts on this thread. Brady is deadly accurate, Belichick is a strict disciplinarian and he's relentless with attention to detail. Their offense doesn't turn the ball over and their defense doesn't miss many tackles. Fundamentals and lack of mistakes keep a team in most games. However there are ALSO shenanigans going on. Not every play and not every game, but certainly at crucial times in critical games. There's too much money for no one to be on the take. There's too long a history of proven cheating and a zebra can't change it's stripes.

12. HawkeyeJames

HawkeyeJames Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    My question is what happens in this game if the correct call is made on the fumble? Steelers have the ball at midfield down 8 in the 3rd quarter. There is a chance they score and the game completely changes.

Now I do agree we can't just be content with we do what we do and they have to stop it. At the highest levels you must gameplan for each opponent and change something. Look how NE caught our D off guard with the no huddle.

I think the biggest problem right now with the Steelers is they can't run multiple stuff on defense to keep a team off balance. We line up in our zones and hope Dupree or the d-line can get enough pressure to force a bad throw. In addition we don't tackle well enough after the catch if we run these zone schemes. Guys take bad angles all the time.

Finally I think the lack of practice time and lack of contact really hurt teams like Pittsburgh who have a lot of young guys playing meaningful positions. You practice how you play, and the problem is if your practice is very little game action and hitting you are not used to it when it comes to Sunday.

13. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    Whether he cheats, or finds an edge, or whatever you want to call it, Bill Belichick is already and will go down as the greatest coach in NFL history. It is the single most biggest advantage the Patriots have week in and week out. A world class QB helps but it is the Belichick advantage that makes the Patriots what they are.

There are so few "great" coaches out there.

I love Tomlin as a coach. I believe he is a great motivator. He also surrounds himself with very good Xs and Os type of coaches. Butler is still learning the ropes as a DC and will take time. Haley calls some terrible gmaes from time to time, but overall I think he does a great job. Love what Munch has done with the O-line.

I would like to see Tomlin as more of a disciplinarian. He has done it in the past (thinking of calling out Hampton for being out of shape). I do think he needs to do more of that. It would have been an impossible call to bench AB for what he did, but it probably was warranted.

Get Tough.

14. bettissb40

bettissb40 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Sure hope the Rooney's have something to say about this.

15. Rambro

Rambro Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Bingo. We either have to out talent them by a mile or hope someone else knocks them out.

16. steelcurtainmrp

steelcurtainmrp Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2016
    Because it's not the players on the pats roster. It's the coach. It's the system. Look at what happened with garropolo(?) and brissett=3-1. It's the system. Honestly smart for Bill B. To get no name WRs.... because they have to PROVE themselves.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    Lombardi is the greatest, winning 5 titles in 7 years, including three in a row from 1965-1967. Tom Landry didn't win until after Lombardi passed away. Shula didn't win until after Lombardi passed away. Lombardi would have had the Redskins of the '70s playing like the Packers of the '60s, if he had not died of colon cancer. It would have been fun to see Noll coach against Lombardi, because Noll was all about fundamentals. Belichick does have a lot of things in common with Lombardi. Master at film study, teaches fundamental football, a lower round drafted QB who is smart, and knows how to get the most out of each player on the roster.

18. BK99

BK99 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    This^^^^^!!! They had Matt Cassel and went 11-5, we beat them with him but he did an adequate job. They have a system that takes advantage of the hamstrung defensive rules and they take advantage of a teams weaknesses, something Tomlin doesn't do. The Steelers weakness has been the secondary for eons, all week long I listened to analysts talk about how the pats were going to spread the Steelers D out and take advantage of their poor secondary. Rob Parker was mad at people crowning Brady after that game, he told Skip Bayless the truth, the receivers were so wide open a high school QB could have torched the defense the Steelers put on the field. The biggest problem is 2-fold, there is no pass rush and we have ZERO corners capable of man to man coverage. We watched it all season, sure, Burns looks good against mediocre WRs with lousy QBs but top tier talent and him and Cockrell struggle although Cockrell has played above his ability level this season. The truth of the matter is we has 4 guys on defense that are good, Tuitt, Heyward, Shazier and Timmons, Heyward and Tuitt will be both gassed by the end of the 3rd quarter because they have to play, there is very little depth behind them. Shazier would be massively effective if we had a dominant edge rusher or a true nose tackle, and before we say about how good Dupree is, I still say he hasn't proved anything yet, teams with a decent, not good but decent RT keep him off their QB unless it is a QB that can't beat zone coverage and that is when he gets those coverage sacks which is more than half of his total sack count. I didn't say he is bad, he just isn't as great as we make him sound here, and it isn't that I'm not a fan, and it isn't that I don't think we can't win with the current roster, I think we can but it takes better coaching, and one thing Tomlin seems to be incapable of doing is game planning for each team, he instead uses a series of scripted plays and then reacts to what the opposing team is doing, and if that means the other team begins to shut the offense down or begins to torch the defense, the adjustments are small and look to be things that weren't practiced much if at all. A game planning coach will always beat a reactionary coach, WRs can't get open when the game planning coach knows your plays out of each personnel group and a reactionary coach is entirely dependent on how well his players can adlib when the scripted plays break down. Haley isn't bad, but when a team figures out his scheme, he makes some really bad calls, it is almost like he is trying to out think himself and we have watched how well that goes. I hate watching well coached teams with mediocre talent give us fits, and on offense the talent level can't get much higher but the team can't use the exact same plays all season and expect it to work in the playoffs. Add to the fact that practicing against the current defense probably doesn't help the cause as everything must look great as everything looks good, I mean how many screen passes have we watched go for big gains and TDs this season? The Eagles racked up 200 yards just on screens in that game including a 73 yard TD, and the Cowboys got an 83 yard TD and well look at the entire season, that falls on coaching for not game planning as every team has been able to exploit us in that fashion or beat us with a TE. So yeah, the system NE runs will work with just about any QB and when you put a defense on the field that didn't or couldn't defend a single pass or even come close, how hard was it really to beat a team that is that bad on the back end?