1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

I most definitely want Donta Hightower after reading this!

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by JackAttack 5958, Mar 23, 2012.

1. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    One line in one article (attached) has caused me to go from waffling between Dontari Poe and Donta Hightower as my hoped for first round pick for the Steelers in the upcoming draft. Hightower is my guy! I DO NOT want to face this guy twice a year for the next 10-12 years with a chip on his shoulder!

Steelers fans -- you'll likely get to know Hightower one way or another -- if Pittsburgh doesn't pick him, expect Baltimore to do so as Ray Lewis's eventual replacement. :doh:

http://blogs.sites.post-gazette.com/ind ... -hightower

2. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Re: I most definitely want Donta Hightower after reading thi

I've been on the Hightower bandwagon since way back when Burflict was considered the #2 ILB prospect. I hear that he isn't good in coverage, he's just a two down linebacker, he's slow, and some things from idiots I won't repeat. Guess I just don't see it.
    This guy was the best (by Alabama's own formula) defensive player on the best college defense in probably the last 30 years. He was the team captain. He was the defensive captain, and made all of the calls. He's an honor student. And he has no red flags, no concerns about work ethic, and only a two year old injury which he obviously recovered fully from. What little concern I had was taken care of when he ran .2 seconds faster in the 40 at the combine than was expected, shooting that "slow" label in the head.
    Is he my first choice? Nope, DeCastro and Keuchly are my first two choices. I get into a bind if Glenn, Martin, or Poe are there at 24 also. But if Hightower is the pick at 24, I'm not going to be cursing out Colbert and company, thats for sure.

3. mrn6

mrn6 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011

do you think Keuchly can play better in the 3-4 more then Hightower?

4. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011

Not sure. Thats where I rely on the coaches. Hightower has played in the 3-4, Keuchly in the 4-3.

5. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011

I've been thinking for weeks that Baltimore will trade into the low 20s to snatch him away from us.

6. HugeSnack

Oct 17, 2011

From the article:

"With the release of James Farrior earlier this month, the Steelers will rely on Larry Foote to patrol the middle with Lawrence Timmons, but the ten-year veteran Foote doesn't figure to be in the team's long-term plans. And after that ... Stevenson Sylvester and Chris Carter are the only other true ILBs on the roster, and while both have some potential, neither has shown to be starter material, or else the Steelers might have released Foote too."

I'm not saying this guy is wrong about the point he's making, because he's not. And it's an obvious point. But it does make you wonder if he knows anything about the team, or if he did any research. But really, do you need to do research to know Chris Carter is not an ILB at all, let alone a true one? He's a college DE transitioning to OLB. He's barely even a linebacker at all, let alone a true inside linebacker. And I don't think it could have been a simple mistaken name, because there isn't anyone else. There's Mortty Ivy, but all he's seen is a couple plays in preseason. I think he's only even been active once or twice, on ST. He doesn't fit with the rest of the paragraph.

7. SteelByDesign

SteelByDesign Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011

I've seen Carter mentioned as an ILB on other sites too, and thought the same thing.

Hightower is my "backup" pick. I like it a lot for the position, but if a better value drops then you grab them... However I see it as being Hightower. Although recent mocks I've seen have Jonathan Martin dropping as late as 18-20... So maybe a trade up for him is possible.

The Ravens have nothing to do with anything though. If the Steelers aren't impressed enough with Hightower to select him, they obviously won't be too worried about the Ravens getting him either.

8. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011

I believe that Hightower will make his mark as a pass rusher first and foremost. It may be as an edge rusher (where he was used very effectively on occasion by Alabama), or coming up the middle. But IMO that's his #1 skill. He probably has the ability to be as good as Harrison and Woodley pretty early in his career.

9. SteelByDesign

SteelByDesign Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011

I disagree. While he's definitely an above average pass rusher for an ILB, his strength is in shedding blocks and crushing anything coming up the middle. You compare him to Harrison and Woodley, but he would be playing a totally different position.

But throw him in there with Timmons, and that's 4 LB's that are very capable of rushing the passer, scary.

10. HugeSnack

Oct 17, 2011

Farrior was quite underrated at rushing the passer, in my opinion. Maybe not from the edge, but certainly from up the middle.

11. 322 Steeler Fan

322 Steeler Fan Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011

In his prime Farrior was good at everything.

12. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011

This should be the obvious pick with hightower.Then off line, Nt,and then db.

13. CANTON STEEL

CANTON STEEL Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011

I can't imaging Poe falling that low in the draft tbh. I'd snatch him up in a heartbeat if he did though.

14. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011

we have added brandon hicks from florida in the offseason. :cool: