1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

I`m Looking Forward to This Year for an Unusual Reason

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by BigBensBigBong, Aug 14, 2019.

1. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    The usual expectation for me is Steeler playoffs at a minimum, every year. What that means is during the regular season, great angst watching games where we play poorly, worrying we will not make the playoffs.

This year is different for me. I have no expectation of making the playoffs. The pressure is off. I can`t remember the last time I was thinking this way.

I`m going to try to enjoy watching the games this year instead of suffering through them. If we do better than I expect, then all the better. If we go 7-9 like I think, I won`t like it, but I won`t be so disappointed.

2. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I have tried this approach.. It usually lasts until the first half of the first game. What can I say, the B&G is in our blood and I can't just sit there like I don't have a horse in the race.

Best of luck to you, you may be better than I am. :drinks:

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    If this team goes 7-9, that will be a major disappointment, they are good enough to make the playoffs :herewego!:

• Agree Agree x 6
  4. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
  5. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    In most of my years of being a Steelers fan , when most media and people think they will have a down year or an average year, it usually turns out well.

When we have high exceptions they usually fall flat on their face.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Was just going to post the same, won't work!

• Like Like x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  7. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Last years second half of season was such a let down. Only proud moment was the fight we gave the Saints down in New Orleans. I too don't have high hopes this season but I'm stuck among annoying Eagle fans and they let me know when their team is doing better then mine. I am very fearful they will dominate me this season. Somehow I'm hoping for a miracle we have the better season.

In my development I have already counted 23 Eagle flags up on the porches:(

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    I said we will never win another super bowl under Tomlin and I stick by that, great defense or not. I will enjoy the team like I always do but these are my realistic expectations.

It's only a matter of time I start saying the patriots or cowboys will win it all lol

9. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    from 7-2-1 to missing the playoffs. GO EAGLES!

LOL JK

• Against The Rules Against The Rules x 1
  10. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    I can see you and I are going to be at odds again this season. While my hate for Eagles has me root for Cowgirls, your hate of Cowgirls makes you root for Eagles. At least we both love Giants and Skins.

11. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    I just want Steelers to win another 1 or 2 to give some breathing room.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Considering their competition, no playoffs this year will mean that Popcorn has lost the locker room. Yes, they still are a very talented team.

13. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    For me it was the 2000 season. I had little expectations after the previous 6-10 season.

I didn't expect the Steelers to do squat. But they ended up better than expected at 9-7... but missed the playoffs. Next season, Heinz Field opened and we had a damn good draft with Hampton and Bell. The future looked much brighter.

14. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    Wow. Everything would have to pan out in the best case scenario. I think he is a Steeler fan who just had his first marijuana brownie before writing that, LOL.

15. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Trust me you will be screaming at the game during the first qtr against the Patriots. It's inevitable and in our DNA. Expect nothing less.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    I just love to root em on either way. Can't win it all every year won't win it all every year... But every year wether on paper they're the **** or in the ****ter I know there is a chance... I get worked up either way because I was raised on em and wear em on my sleeve. Been a memorable 40+ years to this point and can't wait!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    I guess I don't understand this "expectation" business, not the way some of you seem to mean it anyhow. I expect our team to be competitive. I expect our team to provide some highlights. I expect our team to make some mistakes. I expect our team to provide some lows. I don't watch the Steelers to satisfy my expectations. I watch them because I love them, and I want them to take me out of my element and raise me to some other plane, if only for a little while. I enjoy the roller coaster...playoffs, Superbowl...that is all icing on one hell of a cake!

• Like Like x 4
  18. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    This is the kind of attitude that I love. Root for your team, have realistic expectations and support them.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    I remember that season well. Kordell recaptured his starting job from Kent Graham and took the Steelers on a run that almost ended with the playoffs. That 2000 team could have done some damage in the playoffs. They beat the Raiders down the stretch who were stacked. That season laid the table for 2001 which to this day is still one of my favorite seasons. We should have won our 5th Super Bowl that year.

• Like Like x 2
  20. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    I only follow the Steelers analytically during and after the season. At some point before the season starts every year I go full Homer. If you would have asked me in March what the Steelers record would be I would have said 6-10. Ask me now and I say 11-5. Ask me in 2 weeks and Ill say 19-0.

• Like Like x 1
  21. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    I have become somewhat mellower. Although I don't get all jacked up on every play anymore, my blood pressure sure is not normal watching.

I used to pace, sweat, scream, have the paddles at the ready (CLEAR)

My prediction lies in the defense. I feel they have gotten better with additions, players on the rise. Time will tell. I feel they have a better chance at making the playoffs this season.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    We can beat any team in the nfl. So we missed the playoffs, that was last year. Different team this year. Make a couple of kicks and we were in them. I feel we are the team to beat every year until we are not, that will never change. We have more than enough talent here to contend and we will. No team out there should or does ever think when they play us it's a W cakewalk for them. We are the God damn Pittsburgh Steelers the 6 time super bowl champions and we bow to nobody. Did we give up when the Germans bombed pearl harbor?

:herewego!::cool:

• Like Like x 1
  23. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    I agree. And I honestly believe the Steelers "talent level" is a playoff caliber. For me, this year is all about the Steelers from Tomlin up.

I see "from Tomlin up" as the head and if you cut off the head the body will die. We died an agonizing death the last few years due to the head being dead.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  24. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    I used to get so angry during games, but now when we are losing bad im ok. I just kinda have this expression going on, or at least my wife tells me I do.

• Like Like x 1
  25. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Eli is always thinking "son-of-a-*****, if my last name wasn't Manning I would have been out of football after two seasons in the NFL and I could done something I really like"

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3