1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

I Just Wanted to Say.....

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by S.T.D, Mar 23, 2023.

1. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    Yeah, Ziggy still baffles me. Dude had all the physical strength, but it never showed on gameday. He was a Harrison workout warrior!

I don't get how you can call a guy a bust that was a solid starter, if not above average that gave you 5 years. Wasn't like he was so bad they had to bench him. Did they take him too high? With hindsight, yes, but that can happen with any draft pick. Hell, it wasn't like he was a top 20 pick either. He was 28 that's approaching 2nd round territory. They probably had a 1st/2nd grade on him and didn't think he'd fall to them.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    It wasn't hindsight. It was clear that they reached the day they took him. You don't spend first-round picks on below-average starters, which is what Edmunds has been for the last five years. He is a liability in coverage, often takes poor angles in pursuit, and very rarely makes big plays. So yes, he was a bust.

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Pickett is too early to tell

1. Watt
    2. Heyward
    3. Pouncey
    4. Decanter
    5. Shazier
    6. Timmons
    7. Harris
    8. Dupree
    9. Edmunds
    10. Mendenhall
    11. Hood
    12. Bush
    13. Burns
    14. Jones

it’s tiered. First 5 were superstars, Timmons was a great player, Harris/Dupree/Edmunds/Mendenhall were all good starters, Hood was underwhelming but the best of the bad bunch by far. I rated the last 3 by who I thought was the best player. Bush at least made some plays. Artie was a dumpster fire and Jones was just never good. Like, ever.

The real story is that out of those 15 (assuming KFP is at least an average NFL starting QB), we got 5 superstars, 6 good players, and 4 misses. Missing 4 out of 15 where we tend to draft is phenomenal. That’s a 73% hit rate where we are drafting in spots that would roughly average a 30% hit rate (hit being drafting someone who is a regular starter). The superstar hit rate is phenomenal too. 33%. An average drafting team hits starters at that clip. We hit studs at that percentage.

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    That’s the point. He’s never been a regular SS starter until he got in for spot duty this past season. It’s an interesting move. I don’t want to judge the position until after the draft though, as I think there’s a good chance we are adding a player there

• Like Like x 1
  5. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    That's still not a bust. It's a reach, but you still had a guy that was your starter for 5 years at low cap space, that wasn't hot garbage.

Some of you guys really need to define your "bust" definition. By your reasonings every 1st rounder is a bust if they're taken before you think they should be taken and don't turn into a pro-bowler. A reach is a reach, a bust is someone you don't even get an average starter out of. He played in the Box and that allowed them to play Minka where he's best. Obviously none of the other guys they brought in could beat him out. Bust is a guy they keep shoving in there that's not cpable of getting it done
    Out of that list I only see 3 real busts. Jones just never showed he could beat anything other than RB's and TE's. Burns was burns...Bush they just kept hoping he would do something.

Edmunds was a Height weight speed guy they thought wouldn't be there when they picked in the second. He improved every year, but he wasn't an impact player. That's not a bust, that's just an overdraft.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    Yeah for sure, I'd agree that 3 were true busts... but Ziggy is close bc he was only a full time starter one season in his career. He wasn't a horrible player in that he had a 10 year career, but a first rounder should at least be a regular full time starter.

Mendenhall and Edmunds were fine starters, the only true salt in the wound is that there were players taken shortly after them at their positions that ended up being better. Jesse Bates III in Edmunds case and CJ2K in Mendenhall's case (that one hurts).

7. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    A first-rounder who never develops into anything more than a below-average starter is a bust. Also, that fifth year has nothing to do with his draft status. That was because he turned out to be a bad enough player that they were able to let him go to free agency, then re-sign him for peanuts.

I never said he had to be a Pro Bowl player, but a first-round pick should at least be good. Edmunds isn't. He is filler for a team that can't find a good starter at strong safety.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Mendenhall was actually a good back. He went over 1,000 yards twice and was a key weapon for a team that reached a Super Bowl. He didn't last long, but at least he made an impact. Edmunds didn't do that.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. RockyBleier

RockyBleier Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2015
    Bad for Snoopy, good for the Steelers!

• Like Like x 1
  10. doubleyoi

doubleyoi

Apr 26, 2012
    Looks similar to last year. I guess they wanted to move on.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I hope they have a plan, because I would hate to think they are going to be scrambling for depth at safety over $600,000 guaranteed.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Kreighoff

Kreighoff Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2017
    Like most have already said Edmunds had no control over what round he was picked. But being a first round pick you expect a difference maker I mean how many guys come out each year and the first round is the top 32 in all of college football. Servicable and dependable is not enough you expect more splash plays more turnovers more big hits.
    I was hard on him like most but I don't think I could ever say he didn t give it all he had. He was decent but maybe wasn't fast enough or couldn't read plays fast enough to be there first.
    I hope we find someone better because right now we have another hole to fill.

13. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    he was a pro, not a modern day maroon like so many of the kids today. I liked him - I just did not like his performance on the field. If he was a 3rd or 4th round pick, he would have washed out of here much sooner. Yes, seems like a good guy. i wish him the best

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    a plan? the Steelers?

LOL - where have you been?

I would not be surprised if we too a S with our first or 2nd pick. Or made a move up. Brian Branch - AL , might be there or worth a trade up. If not, one of these 2 others, in the first 2 rounds. We NEED a player there, Kazee and Minkah - is that the depth chart now? I'd like long term to turn Peterson to S soon, AKA - Rod Woodson style, to extend his career. Bigger body, would be a nice move

upload_2023-3-26_16-20-19.png

15. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    a holey defense, as we discuss at length in the winter, like swiss cheese....

• Like Like x 1
  16. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I've been watching a team that does have a plan, though not always one I agree with. Where have you been?

17. doubleyoi

doubleyoi

Apr 26, 2012
    I don't actually understand why that might be a factor for a one year deal. The likelihood of cutting him prior to the season is low, so it doesn't seem like much of a risk.

18. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    Probably mutual, since they gave Kazee more than they were offering him to come back as a starter.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Edmunds just could not play outside the box this forced Minkah to play more deep coverage than the Team probably wanted .. Most Offenses are built on crossing patterns and shorter quicker throws having Minkah in the box more will allow him to make more splash plays ..

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    I'm a Kazee Fan,more splash plays but... Edmonds was good against the Run,and our Run D been pretty terrible,for just about every year he was here, and like I said ...He was good against the Run and Kazee is not....

So... It's gonna be an adjustment... Hopefully with better ILB's, and And to the DL..We'll get better!

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  21. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    LoL. He was good against the run, but We were not good with the run for most His years here. Did I just read this correctly??
    People say that, but do You know how many times He has hit the wrong gap, or chase the wrong guy???
    I seen Him try to chase the TE while the RB was running the other side of the field. How Am I the only Guy that has seen this stuff.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  22. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    He was a liability against the pass ( no splash plays ) But no, You didn't read it wrong ..

Both can be true... Edmonds WAS good , against the Run AND...The Steeler Run D overall sucked...

Both were true...Edmonds was an " average " player...But your overall hate towards him is...quite frankly untrue

• Like Like x 1
  23. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Yes being good against the run is his best trait, but not really what you need in a pass happy NFL.. The role of the Force Safety is all but gone the Steelers are a bit late to the party .. I think the approach is more Single high and more press or bump and run and more man to man and man zone concepts, with less Cover 2 and zone type concepts..

Edmunds was and is a bad fit in that regard thus not a lot of love around the NFL for him and his playing style ..I still contend that he needs to be moved to that hybrid LB role ....

IMO the approach we are heading towards calls for good CB play so I think JP Jr. will be the pick followed by a Safety in the next round or 2 ..

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  24. nor

nor Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2016
    it was both time for an upgrade(let him go) and yet we don't have anybody better to replace him yet(keep him).

25. hmmmmm

hmmmmm Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2020
    Sooooo no one remembers Edmunds blowing up Joe Haden in the end zone. 100% interception that was going to happen until this idiot destroyed Haden. I was surprised he stayed in the game (Haden). The very next play was a TD. Don’t tell me defenders frequently fight over the ball and an interception was lost. That’s when two people are looking at the ball and run into each other. This was a moron destroying a teammate with no other player nearby. He sucks.

• Winner Winner x 1