1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

I hope Wheaton is eating his Weaties

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by defva, Nov 28, 2015.

1. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I was gonna put this in the A.B best receiver in the league thread, but thought, A.B deserve all the kudos on his own thread. Now, getting back to Wheaton. This guy has to be on his "A" Sunday. He has got a chance to have an explosive game. This guy is on the same team with one of the greatest wr's to come through the NFL but I never hear him saying...
    "I want to milk A.B for all of his knowledge" or"even after practice me and A.B go over some technical/mental stuff". Don't settle for mediocre Wheat.,.go out there and strive to be great. Don't miss out on a Great opportunity. You have the tools.... You're gonna have their 3rd best corner on you...Eat em up alive!!

2. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I like Wheaton and I think he has the makings of a good slot receiver but all the hard work, extra film study, conversations with Brown aren't going to help him if Ben isn't feeling it. The level of trust Ben has in a receiver goes further than all the hard work in the world on this team. You look at Wallace and Sanders who were good receivers for the Steelers and have had some success since and guys go well where was this when they were in Pittsburgh? It was there but Ben gets in those zones where he knows AB will make a play and if all else fails HEATH!!! The stories of AB's fustration under Vick and to some part under Jones shows this. Ben talking up Wheaton in the preseason really kinda was derailed with the injury bug, the suspensions, and Haley's game planning to date. Wheaton needs to become Ben's shadow until that comfort level is near where it is with Brown and then he will explode.

3. M. Connors

M. Connors Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    I thought at the time, Ben talking up Wheaton was a way to get him to stay motivated, since the talent level is so high at the receiver position. Between Brown and Bryant on the outside, and Heath and Bell on the inside, there's only so many more footballs to go around to the 3rd, 4th, and 5th wideouts.
    Even with Bryant missing time and Bell out for the year, Wheaton still doesn't seem to be getting the looks, despite having the 2nd most snaps (419) of WRs this season. His statistics are pedestrian (16 catches for 273 yards and 1 TD) for a 3rd WR. Still, Ben seems to look his way a few times a game, and the timing still appears to
    be off after almost 3 years.
    The good news is the Steelers passing game is so potent that they don't need his production. If Ben's 1st and 2nd reads are consistently open, that's a good thing.

4. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Did my talk to Wheaton work?! I called it...I'm not tooting my own horn,but I'm doing way better then the coaching staff...lol

• Like Like x 1