1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

I don't want Ben back...

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by shaner82, Sep 16, 2019.

1. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Between you and NeonDeion, it's hard to keep up.

• Against The Rules Against The Rules x 1
  2. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Let's see if Mason can win some games before throwing Ben to the curb.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    I remember when Ben came into the rats game (week 2) back in 04 when Tommy Gun went down. We lost that game but Ben then won his next 15 starts and it was the dawn of a new era. Could this be history repeating itself 15 years later? Let's hope so! :beg:

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. FeedTheMachineFTM

FeedTheMachineFTM Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    Simple answer ,NO..

Reasons ,about 10 or so..
    Bus
    Beard
    Troy
    Silverback
    Ward
    Farrior
    Plax
    Porter
    Foote
    Kimo
    Smith
    Cowher!

Last edited: Sep 17, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Ytownsteeler

Ytownsteeler Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2015
    We are just holding on to the past for Ben's ego. We should have tanked rest of years and taken a QB with first round. We are closer to a rebuild than we are to a super bowl. Wasting time for the rebuild. You do not get franchise QBs in the third round or 18th pick in the first. D is trash and no playmakers on offense. Total rebuild. I see the mid 80's to early 90's for the imediate future until we get new QB. Ben will never be the same. Tommy John surgery is a year and half rehab. and Art wants to extend those crappy years by not trading 1st round this coming year for a darn DB...ahg. dumb move

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  6. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    This is true... but Polamalu was also a surprise in '04 along with Roethlisberger. Polamalu transformed that defense into elite top 5. Hopefully, we'll have a breakout player this year on D... (Fitzpatrick and/or maybe things start clicking for Bush).

Troy didn't exactly light it up in '03.

Edit: Harrison didn't start until '07. It was Porter and Haggans at OLB.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
  7. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Ben, this won't be easy. No days off. Support the kids. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    You don't get franchise QB's in the 3rd round? Joe Montana-3rd round. Russell Wilson-3rd round. Tom Brady-6th round. Johnny Unitas-9 th round. Bart Starr-17th round etc. etc.

• Like Like x 1
  9. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    It was hypothetical. If MR shows he is our future, do we kick him to the curb in favour of a 38 year old Ben? Or do we tell Ben thanks but his services as a starter are no longer needed? Anyone who says to kick a future starting QB to the curb in favour of a declining 38 year old is not being rational.

Of course if MR shows he isn't the man or if he shows that maybe he could be but isn't ready yet, then Ben starts for us again.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Yes they do and they’re not going anywhere with him but they’re still paying him a ton of money and there are still fans loyal to him when it’s obvious he’s not the future anymore.

11. Roonatic

Sep 4, 2017
    Exactly. Need to see more of Mason. I hope Ben plays nice.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Against The Rules Against The Rules x 1
  12. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    So, you don't think there should be any loyalty to the guy who won you 2 super bowls?

13. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    For how long? It’s a business at some point you have to let go. If Ben comes back with a brand new arm and in ridiculous shape for him and mentally 100% in then we’ll talk. Loyalty only goes so far. They’re in the business of winning games and performance should dictate that outcome and not history.

14. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    Ben has the lowest rating for a Super Bowl winning QB. There are lots of losing QB'S that have lower ratings.

• Like Like x 1
  15. STEELWARRIOR

STEELWARRIOR Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Deion Curse, he stated that Ben would not finish the season!!! Matter of fact he said Ben will exit at midway point of the season!!!:facepalm:

16. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    No. If a better option is available, then the better option gets the job. Of course better takes into account the present and future. It's not just as simple as who is better today. The point of football is to win games, not give jobs to guys who have won in the past. Troy and Ward are my 2 faourite players of all time, but when it was obvious their time was up, I wanted them gone. Why would I want to watch my team lose just so previously great players could hang on to a career that has passed them by?

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    :facepalm:

Ben won 2 Super Bowls 12 years ago. Most NFL players don't last 3 years. Roethlisberger had a good run, but it's time to move on.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  18. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    The teams that are successful now in the NFL are getting it done with QBs on rookie contracts. That’s the ideal way you want to construct your team. It allows you to spend more of the cap on better players. Brady takes his discount for that very reason. I don’t care how much he makes on the side, he takes less to build a better team around him.
    You have to weigh the cost to keep a aging QB against the ability to put a better overall roster together as well.

19. FeedTheMachineFTM

FeedTheMachineFTM Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    Exactly .He did his job ,he can retire with his head held high still.

20. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    I was talking about Eli. I think Ben is probably done at this point. He's not getting it done even with an offensive line that gives him time, mostly. Maybe Ben's elbow has been a problem for a while, that might explain all the high throws....

21. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    I see. My opinion still stands. You always have to try and look at it from a business and team building point of view. Winning should always come first.....

22. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Again, I was talking about Eli. Favre and Montana say hello!

23. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    Roethlisberger is guaranteed HOF with his 2 Super Bowls and awesome stats. I'm thankful we had him as a franchise QB, but the Steelers were smart to think of the future and draft QBs in '17 and '18. Best case scenario moving forward is that Rudolph pans out and Steelers focus on building the team around him.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    agreed. Ben is about worn out. My post was about how New Yorkers want to run Eli out of town like a common pygmy. He's still pretty good when he has time.

25. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    I suspect if Mason struggles, a lot of people will be more open to wanting Ben back.

• Agree Agree x 2