1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

I don't want Ben back...

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by shaner82, Sep 16, 2019.

1. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    unless of course Rudolph shows that he is never likely to be a starting QB in this league. If Rudolph plays well and shows he has the skill set to be a starting QB, then he needs to be our permanent starter. You can't give the guy the job for a year and then expect him to sit behind Ben for at least 2 more years. We will lose him and we'll back to square one. Even if Ben can still play at a high level, even if Ben has more upside next year, there's no future with Ben.

Rudolph is going to struggle at times, but if he shows he has what it takes, then give him the job, this year and next.

I'm just worried that Tomlin has such blind loyalty to Ben that no matter what Rudolph does, Ben will have the job again next year. If Rudolph can be the man, then taking the job away from him will hurt this franchise for many, many years. Starting QB's aren't easy to find. I just hope this franchise does the smart thing.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  2. white_steel_wolfe

white_steel_wolfe Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Ben has earned his spot.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    I do. He's done a lot for this franchise. I will never throw him to the curb.

Realistically though he may never be in Black N Gold again. If Rudolph pans out he will be sought after more than we believe at this moment.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. D4H

D4H Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2019
    Steelers are far more likely to draft a QB in the 1st round next year than anything else.

Big Ben's injury gives Rudolph a one year audition. If he doesn't show he's a franchise QB you best believe the Steelers will be drafting another QB.

• Disagree Disagree x 4
  5. WWW

WWW Writing Team

Oct 24, 2011
    This is Ben's team. He has led us to 3 superbowls. Long, long before bandwagon fans came here, we all learned what it is to have experimental drafts and projects at QB position.

He has led this Steelers to winning seasons. Competitive football. Championship. Adversity.

When you have a QB like Ben, it gives his team a shot to win each Sunday.

All this stuff about him retiring is nonsense. This is HIS team. He will be back and will start next year, no matter what.

That said, all support for Rudolph.
    He has talent, and hopefully the Steelers rally around him.
    Hope he develops and becomes the future an NFL caliber starting QB, either here (after Ben retires) or somewhere else.

• Agree Agree x 5
  6. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    What’s franchise material though? If we all put Ben as the standard he is likely to fail. If he wins us some games while limiting turnovers and showing growth that’s a franchise guy to me.

7. shaner82

Oct 16, 2011
    You did nothing but talk about the past. Man, so many Steelers fans are stuck in the past. What Ben did previously has no bearing on whether he should play next year. All that matters is the play of Rudolph vs Ben. If Rudolph is our future, you don't take the job away from him for an aging QB who might not have it anymore. If Rudolph doesn't get the job done, then of course Ben starts.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Of course Rudolph has to play well enough to make that a tough decision. I highly doubt Ben comes back if Tomlin isn’t the coach. I’m thinking a new coach coming in won’t be running a Flintstones offense and something more like the Jetsons. Our offense seems outdated and stale compared the the rest of the league and losing some of the talent we lost cant now help make up for the fact this offense isn’t creative or less predictable.

I’m excited to see what this offense can do with Rudolph. Of course he will have his struggles but they rave about his preparation and that’s a big part of the battle. We will find out if Fichtner is a legitimate OC and maybe we’ll have a nice tandem for the future. Offenses have evolved and continue to. Mason is capable of a few things a aging Ben simply wasn’t. Look at some of the posts that guys are exited because now maybe we can become more balanced. We can run play action. Rudolph will get rid of the ball etc....That might be exactly what this young team on offense needs.

I’m sorry but I don’t think the Big Ben that used to be able to carry this team is ever walking through that door again.
    Many of the things people are exited about when it comes to Rudolph,Ben was no longer capable or willing to do Yet when you point out the lack of balance and the rare usage of play action among other things being a detriment to our success you’re met with scorn because you dare insinuate Ben isn’t what he once was. You can’t be exited about the possibilities that a young QB like Mason can bring and unwilling to accept that Ben at this stage of his career might not be willing or able to do a lot of the things that once made him great.

If he were to come back next year in top shape, throwing BBS . With a fresh outlook after being away for a year Rudolph would have to be pretty damn good this year and improving in camp to have any chance of holding Ben off. If Ben recovers physically the time off could be the best for him mentally. I don’t think he was mentally ready to play this year.IMO. Time will tell but for now I’m all in on Mr. MR....

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    You don't lose your job to injury.

Ben has earned everything he wants with this team.

Ben is also NOT going to be ready for the start of next season, and anyone who thinks he will be probably thought Shazier would be playing last season too. If he misses even 8 games next year, now it becomes very tricky. If Mason is going all out, how do you sit him?

I think none of this will be an issue. Either Ben is healthy and ready to go by July camp, or he's probably played his last game.

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Last time I checked... ben had plenty of leadership and talent around him when he took the helmet. And, was plenty reckless in his early years. Still holds the record for worst qb rating in superbowl history. But, with all of his downfalls ... he had a good career. I guess, the hof will come sooner then we thought.

11. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011

Also hold the record for youngest QB to ever win a Super Bowl.

HACK

• Like Like x 3
  12. Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0 Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2019
    I'll bet you whatever you want the Steelers don't draft a QB in the first round next year.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    I agree.

I will admit to being stuck in the past to the extent my ideal scenario would be seeing Ben come back in one game to save the day before retiring, Bradshaw-esque.

Don’t think it will happen though.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Has anybody really heard what the injury is? With modern technology and
    medical break thru's. Ben maybe able to come back and earn the money he was already
    paid.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  15. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Ben will finish the last 2 years of his contract, assuming he's healthy, and he will be the starter.

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    One thing is for sure we don’t want to end up like what’s happening with the Giants.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    I actually agree with this. Would be idiotic to put Ben in next year if Mason lights it up. I predicted Mason would be Bens successor so lets do this.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    yeah its interesting that personnel is changed constantly without much thought to past performance and dedication. There is really no loyalty and that's the way it should be. Even #43 was let go and the organization moved on.

• Winner Winner x 1
  19. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    The Giants were loyal to Eli and look where that’s gotten them...

• Like Like x 1
  20. thesteeldeal

Oct 18, 2011
    Here’s a hypothetical question...
    Let’s say MR plays pretty well the team may end up 6-10 - 5-11 since were already in a 0-2 hole but we lost some competitive games,the defense continued to disappoint but overall you can say I think MR showed some serious growth and potential.

Would you rather have a 38yr old QB coming off of elbow surgery and Tomlin as the coach or
    a new coach and MR? Have at it....

21. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    If the kid moves the team and the offense works as it was intended and the kid and the receivers are working well together, I'm sorry but there is no way I want them to go backwards. This is a fresh 14 game season, let's see what you got. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 3
  22. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    The Giants have a lot more problems than just Eli Manning!

• Agree Agree x 3
  23. FeedTheMachineFTM

FeedTheMachineFTM Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    So do we

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  24. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    In all of my Nostradamus-like greatness... I have another prophecy to reveal. :cool:

Ben Roethlisberger will be the starting QB for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in 2020. You heard it here first.

Maybe we can get a 1st round pick back from Arians for Ben.

• Winner Winner x 1
  25. shaner82

Oct 16, 2011
    Players lose their jobs to injuries all the time.

• Agree Agree x 3